U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:51 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,269,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I consider Arkansas Southern, but a different kind of Southern. The eastern 1/4 or so (greater Delta area) isn't all that different from western TN or northwestern MS, but the further west you go in AR, the flavor becomes increasingly Southwestern (not SouthWESTERN in the sense of AZ or NM, but SOUTHwestern like much of TX and OK)
It's Ozark-y southern like eastern Oklahoma and southern Missouri. Some people include those regions in the South, others call it "Lower Midwestern" or something along those lines. The areas closer to Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana are undeniably southern, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:02 AM

82 posts, read 87,518 times
Thanks y'all. I'm thinking we are going to want to get out of GA. For my business it's better that I am in larger metro since that's where the money is, Macon or Columbus isn't gonna cut it. Also it's importsnt for me to be in a larger city to be able to expose my son to the cultural outlets that just simply aren't availiable in down at heel places in South Georgia. Additionally I am not a fan of the direction that GA seems to be taking which is eerily similar to that path that VA, FL, and even out west in CA have taken politically and demographically. Time to jump ship!

As for the comments about Atlanta, besides the obvious things like geography and monuments like the Stone Mountain (which is now in a really scary neighborhood) it has changed completely here. The Olympics was kind of the turning point. The flag got changed and millions of people have poured into the area. Go to Lenox Square Mall and listen to how many times you hear a southern accent from someone who isn't over 60 or African American and you will get what I mean!

I'm considering Nashville heavily, and perhaps I could live in Memphis if I positioned myself in a way where most of my life and business would be in Germantown or East Memphis.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)

10,485 posts, read 14,320,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post
that's difficult for me because it is almost a "stranger in a strange land" type of experience when I go to the mall or meet the parents of all of my sons friends, and I hear more Fran Drescher or Joan Rivers than Paula Deen, if you understand what I am saying.

I just want to live in a place where my culture, the culture of the "deep south" still features prominently.
Perhaps forget living 'in the city' and focus more on surrounding cities and bedroom communities if you want to live with that 'southern feel'
Close enough to take advantage of those amenities you want, but far enough that most of your neighbors are 'locals'. You'd probably have a fair commute to work, but the trade off would likely be worth it.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post
Thanks y'all. I'm thinking we are going to want to get out of GA. For my business it's better that I am in larger metro since that's where the money is, Macon or Columbus isn't gonna cut it. Also it's importsnt for me to be in a larger city to be able to expose my son to the cultural outlets that just simply aren't availiable in down at heel places in South Georgia. Additionally I am not a fan of the direction that GA seems to be taking which is eerily similar to that path that VA, FL, and even out west in CA have taken politically and demographically. Time to jump ship!

As for the comments about Atlanta, besides the obvious things like geography and monuments like the Stone Mountain (which is now in a really scary neighborhood) it has changed completely here. The Olympics was kind of the turning point. The flag got changed and millions of people have poured into the area. Go to Lenox Square Mall and listen to how many times you hear a southern accent from someone who isn't over 60 or African American and you will get what I mean!

I'm considering Nashville heavily, and perhaps I could live in Memphis if I positioned myself in a way where most of my life and business would be in Germantown or East Memphis.
Stone Mountain is in a scary neighborhood? I thought it was out in the DeKalb Co suburbs.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 06-01-2015 at 12:26 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 12:19 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,601,708 times
Moving from Atlanta to the south? you like Atlanta but you want a city with southern culture? lol I'm sorry I had to laugh. Your in Georgia, how is it not southern? Maybe you want a more country area? Maybe try Little Rock or Jackson.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Stone Mountain is in a scary neighborhood? I thought it was out in the DeKalb Co suburbs.
Yeah Stone Mountain isn't a good area at all. When I was young in the early 90s that area was hot like Johns Creek is now but when they started knocking down the projects and replacing then with vouchers Dekalb County got the brunt of it and now with gentrification in areas that used to be warzones intown like Kirkwood a lot of folks are moving into Dekalb. It's very cheap out there because if their atrocious school system and because a lot of homes were bought on the cheap during the downturn ($30k ranches and such) and now they are section 8 homes. Dekalb has some nice areas in the north part of the county like Brookhaven and Druid Hills, the areas have MARTA and they are close to Emory and Oglethorpe University. However you have to send your kids to private school especially after elementary, the schools are worse than some infamous parts of ATL like Bankhead. Only exception is the City of Decatur which is in Dekalb but has it's own municipal school system that is high rated. DeKalb is on the skids only worse county in the metro is Clayton.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Moving from Atlanta to the south? you like Atlanta but you want a city with southern culture? lol I'm sorry I had to laugh. Your in Georgia, how is it not southern? Maybe you want a more country area? Maybe try Little Rock or Jackson.
It's geographically southern of course, and outside of Metro Atlanta most of GA is the same as Mississippi but the culture of Atlanta is no longer southern. I am a native and I remember when everyone had a desk accent as a kid and most folks were native southerners. That's gone. That's what I meant by southern. More southern culture, values, accents etc. I don't want "country" I'm a city boy. Contrary to popular belief not every man from Dixie is a "country boy" and you don't have to be a Yankee to be a city slicker. Ya see?

Old 06-01-2015, 04:22 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,359,002 times
I would advise Montgomery, Jacksonville, Baton Rouge, Chattanooga.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:44 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,477,504 times
I like Little Rock, and find it to be culturally pretty much deep south. I wouldn't consider the area we live in right now to be deep south, but as someone put it "SOUTHwestern" more like Texas. Little Rock is surprisingly nice, based on a few visits. They have a nice big riverfront and access to the mountain areas of Arkansas. We found good dining options there as well. Its a small city, but the metro is surprisingly big. More than I expected. The downtown is full of cool stuff and seems to be on a big upswing right now. There were all kinds of new stuff being built and renovated when we were down there a few months back.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:51 PM

Greenville, Columbia, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Little Rock.

These are probably the best I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or