U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,267,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Mississippi is pure Southern, Alabama is more of a mix of Appalachian and Southern, especially in the northern half of the state.
If South Carolina didn't have as many transplants, I feel like it would be more southern than Alabama. However, Mississippi will always come out on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 AM

29,918 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
What? The "Gone With The Wind" city has never been deeply Southern?

Georgia has always been seen as the Deep South IMO...although maybe Atlanta is the exception?
North Georgia is Piedmont/Appalachia; that part of the South is very Southern, but people tend to associate "Deep South" with the coastal plain region where slavery/agriculture were more prevalent. Atlanta was founded as a railroad venture so it's always had more of an industrial character.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:45 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,442,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
If South Carolina didn't have as many transplants, I feel like it would be more southern than Alabama. However, Mississippi will always come out on top.
Though culturally, the southern portion of AL has remained relatively unchanged in the past 50 years, it's becoming increasingly the northern half that drives the state's economics, entertainment, and education. Birmingham (which is kinda-sorta the Deep South, but still has some strong hints of Appalachia about it), and especially Huntsville (which is not at all the Deep South), are gaining transplants like never before, and the latter is even getting more of an international flavor due to the presence of government-related work. Right now H'ville an B'ham, combined, account for roughly 40% of the state's population. I would guess it would be closer to 60% in the next 50 years or so. It's slowly but surely losing its Southern character.

Mississippi, on the other hand, is in very little danger of having its Southern-ness diluted. At least for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:47 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,383,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
North Georgia is Piedmont/Appalachia; that part of the South is very Southern, but people tend to associate "Deep South" with the coastal plain region where slavery/agriculture were more prevalent. Atlanta was founded as a railroad venture so it's always had more of an industrial character.
Yeah, makes sense. I tend to associate that classic almost dignified Southern accent-like the cartoon rooster-with Savannah, GA.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:24 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post
Well, I take no issue to people from other places and I welcome everyone and recognize the benefit that people with different backgrounds can provide.

My issue with Atlanta, and with South Florida, and with Fairfax County Virginia isn't the mere presence of "transplants" it is the fact that it has gotten to the point where there is such a critical mass of folks from elsewhere that the parent culture of the area (Southern culture) hasn't just been altered, it has simply dissipated. Since I am of southern culture, that's difficult for me because it is almost a "stranger in a strange land" type of experience when I go to the mall or meet the parents of all of my sons friends, and I hear more Fran Drescher or Joan Rivers than Paula Deen, if you understand what I am saying.

I have distant ancestors that moved up to Chicago, Gary and Detroit for work during the Great Depression like millions of other southerners. I am sure that those southern migrants have left their mark on those places but the culture of Detroit never morphed from Great Lakes Midwestern to Southern in the way that Atlanta has morphed from Southern to "Northeastern with mild winters". Similarly with NYC, many Irish, Italian and Chinese people have moved there and while their influence is definitely felt it would impossible to mistake the culture of NYC for that of Dublin, Palermo or Beijing. Los Angeles took in hundreds of thousands of displaced Okies in the 30's but there is almost no cultural common ground between Southern California and the Great Plains (well besides drought!).

I hope that makes my question a tad more concise. I'm not some kind of "Xenophobe" towards Yankees despot my antipathy towards their marauding ancestors in the Union Army, one of my closest friends is my neighbor who is from Philadelphia. I just want to live in a place where my culture, the culture of the "deep south" still features prominently.
You have a right to live wherever you want, north or south, and I wish you luck on your journey, but your example of northern and southerners concern me

I mean, Paula Deen or Fran Drescher? Accent aside, Paula Deen's a racist old bat and Fran Drescher is a rape and cancer survivor, and one of the funniest women there are! Shoulda used Joy Behar and Dolly Parton instead!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:19 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,267,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Though culturally, the southern portion of AL has remained relatively unchanged in the past 50 years, it's becoming increasingly the northern half that drives the state's economics, entertainment, and education. Birmingham (which is kinda-sorta the Deep South, but still has some strong hints of Appalachia about it), and especially Huntsville (which is not at all the Deep South), are gaining transplants like never before, and the latter is even getting more of an international flavor due to the presence of government-related work. Right now H'ville an B'ham, combined, account for roughly 40% of the state's population. I would guess it would be closer to 60% in the next 50 years or so. It's slowly but surely losing its Southern character.

Mississippi, on the other hand, is in very little danger of having its Southern-ness diluted. At least for the foreseeable future.
Birmingham is still pretty darn southern if you look at the amount of transplants in other southern metros like Raleigh/Durham, though.

I agree that it's unlikely Mississippi will see any growth in the near future, if ever. Some folks might be retiring along the coast, but I don't believe Memphis is seeing enough growth to impact the suburbs across the border in Mississippi. Jackson is a rare example of a southern metro that hasn't seen an influx of transplants/outside influences. For better or for worse, Mississippi is still pretty "Old South." However, this is honestly the same case for Alabama around Montgomery and Mobile.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:09 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,442,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Birmingham is still pretty darn southern if you look at the amount of transplants in other southern metros like Raleigh/Durham, though.

I agree that it's unlikely Mississippi will see any growth in the near future, if ever. Some folks might be retiring along the coast, but I don't believe Memphis is seeing enough growth to impact the suburbs across the border in Mississippi. Jackson is a rare example of a southern metro that hasn't seen an influx of transplants/outside influences. For better or for worse, Mississippi is still pretty "Old South." However, this is honestly the same case for Alabama around Montgomery and Mobile.
Right. Southern Alabama is still pretty strongly "Old South" - that's where the bulk of the antebellum houses and buildings are at. Birmingham was settled shortly before the turn of the century due to the rich iron deposits in the area. It's a very different flavor than what you'll find in Montgomery or Mobile. It might not have the sheer number transplants of Atlanta, the Research Triangle, or even Huntsville, but they still make up a respectable presence. Some have assimilated into the local culture, but many have not.

Of course, it's still a Southern state at the end of the day, just like Georgia, South Carolina, etc. But like the rest of the South save for MS, it's simply not as strongly Southern as it once was.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:04 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,800,091 times
Danny Buckhead = About Huntsville, I have heard that it is still very "Alabama" and conservative

kyle19125 = Very untrue. It has a significant number of transplants due to NASA/aerospace industry and is among the most well-educated cities in the South which has it trending more liberal. In fact it's the "bluest" city in Alabama apparently.

As a resident of Huntsville, I can safely say that kyle is correct about Huntsville being "among the most well-educated cities in the South", but wrong about being the "bluest" city (not even close).

Almost every elected official in the Huntsville area is a conservative Republican. Turns out most rocket scientists and engineers are fairly conservative people...

As far as Huntsville's 'southerness', we have a large collection of antebellum homes, cotton is still a large part of the region's agriculture, and camo is still the new black (or orange).

Old 06-05-2015, 03:46 PM

171 posts, read 136,615 times
Yankees are everywhere now. Why? Because they couldn't stand living in the north. So, not all yanks are bad even if they have horrible accents. Many are Southerners at heart like my friend from Wisconsin who said he hates the north and loves the people down here, the food, and the weather. Florida, btw, ain't so bad either, at least on the west coast. I like it here and I have 2 Confederate flags on my vehicle. Of course, the yanks(and others) don't know they are Confederate--the Bonnie Blue Flag and the First National(Stars & Bars). Few people realize that most state flags in the South are actually Confederate flags that came about in the 1860's or later. Florida's flag is one as is Virginia, Tennessee, Ga.,Miss. etc.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:45 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,287,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post
Well, I take no issue to people from other places and I welcome everyone and recognize the benefit that people with different backgrounds can provide.

My issue with Atlanta, and with South Florida, and with Fairfax County Virginia isn't the mere presence of "transplants" it is the fact that it has gotten to the point where there is such a critical mass of folks from elsewhere that the parent culture of the area (Southern culture) hasn't just been altered, it has simply dissipated. Since I am of southern culture, that's difficult for me because it is almost a "stranger in a strange land" type of experience when I go to the mall or meet the parents of all of my sons friends, and I hear more Fran Drescher or Joan Rivers than Paula Deen, if you understand what I am saying.

I have distant ancestors that moved up to Chicago, Gary and Detroit for work during the Great Depression like millions of other southerners. I am sure that those southern migrants have left their mark on those places but the culture of Detroit never morphed from Great Lakes Midwestern to Southern in the way that Atlanta has morphed from Southern to "Northeastern with mild winters". Similarly with NYC, many Irish, Italian and Chinese people have moved there and while their influence is definitely felt it would impossible to mistake the culture of NYC for that of Dublin, Palermo or Beijing. Los Angeles took in hundreds of thousands of displaced Okies in the 30's but there is almost no cultural common ground between Southern California and the Great Plains (well besides drought!).

I hope that makes my question a tad more concise. I'm not some kind of "Xenophobe" towards Yankees despot my antipathy towards their marauding ancestors in the Union Army, one of my closest friends is my neighbor who is from Philadelphia. I just want to live in a place where my culture, the culture of the "deep south" still features prominently.
i suppose it really depends on where you live in Atlanta..
If you live in the city proper or its Northern Suburbs you will more likely be surrounded by more Norterners and people from other regions outside of the South.

However I have found from areas West of Atlanta like Carrolton ,Douglasville,areas East like Covington,South like Fayetteville ,Newnan to be more Southern where its is still very evident.
I live near Stockbridge and I can tell you the South is very much still alive.Not like Alabama or Mississippi but its not hard to notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or