U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:48 AM

29,983 posts, read 27,507,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not true.I did not have a problem with his opinion.I did not even attacked it.I just questioned why he thought the places he mentioned were the best in Atlanta.He exp;ained and I moved on.

My problem is with Chilly and his/her CONSTANT jabs at Atlanta posters.It unrelenting as I showed his many comments
Your point with respect to restaurants was understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:41 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,371,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is crazy. Mega man said he simply believes that fried chicken is better in the Deep South than the Upper South, which is just an opinion. That doesn't mean he believes there isn't any great fried chicken to be found in the Upper South
Accurate.

Quote:
I can't believe this discussion is spiraling out of control over a simple opinion.
I'm sure this doesn't actually surprise you. It shouldn't.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:40 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,948,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Care to give an example?

That's your opinion and I would have to disagree.

Again, it is a matter of opinion that cannot be proven right or wrong. It is my belief that Deep South cooking is generally better than what can be found north. All you can do with that statement is disagree.
An example of opinion based on stereotypes and/or fallacies..."People in the South are racist". "People in the Northeast are rude." There are too many to list.

What kind of cooking are you talking about? Country/Soul food? Those are bigtime in North Carolina - which is not part of the Deep South. I can't believe anyone would make such a general and stereotypical statement about food. People EVERYWHERE know how to cook...with travel, media, and internet it's very easy for people any and everywhere to cook like southerners.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:45 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,178,576 times
All this back and forth over little ol' me?

Maybe I do go in on Atlanta a lot, but everything I say comes from experience. I'm not speaking on anything I don't know about.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:53 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,178,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
An example of opinion based on stereotypes and/or fallacies..."People in the South are racist". "People in the Northeast are rude." There are too many to list.

What kind of cooking are you talking about? Country/Soul food? Those are bigtime in North Carolina - which is not part of the Deep South. I can't believe anyone would make such a general and stereotypical statement about food. People EVERYWHERE know how to cook...with travel, media, and internet it's very easy for people any and everywhere to cook like southerners.
My remark has nothing to do with stereotypes or misinformation. It comes from experience, as I just stated above. Through trial, I reached the OPINION that people in the Lower South make better food. I never stated it was a fact that everyone had to agree with.

...Though I do feel that it is the main reason that cities like New Orleans and "The H Word" are typically seen as better food cities. I also hear more about the food in Charleston and Savannah than I hear about Atlanta, so I think that says something.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
All this back and forth over little ol' me?

Maybe I do go in on Atlanta a lot, but everything I say comes from experience. I'm not speaking on anything I don't know about.
When it comes to Southern fare, it's actually somewhat understood that a lot of smaller, Deep South cities in particular do a better job than Atlanta on a pound for pound basis. I'm reminded of similar sentiments expressed in this thread: What city has the best Soul Food/southern cooking?

Old 06-08-2015, 03:30 PM

10,169 posts, read 6,512,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
If South Carolina didn't have as many transplants, I feel like it would be more southern than Alabama. However, Mississippi will always come out on top.

JayJay as much as you want NC to be a northern state. It "ain't". NC is every bit as southern as SC. I live in both states and I know. Go to a northern state if that's what you want.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
JayJay as much as you want NC to be a northern state. It "ain't". NC is every bit as southern as SC. I live in both states and I know. Go to a northern state if that's what you want.
He doesn't believe NC is northern, but only that it has gotten lots of Northern transplants and some cultural influences; outside of that, he has consistently argued for NC's southernness.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 AM

526 posts, read 464,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post
Hi y'all thanks for reading.

I'm a 35 year old white male, proud southerner (accent and all), recently divorced with sole custody of my son who is currently finishing up 8th grade and will be starting HS, and have lived 32 of my 35 years in North Atlanta/Buckhead area (was born and spent the first 2 years of my life in Southwest VA and lived for a year in South Florida when I was 18).

I like Atlanta truly but I think it would be nice to live in a city that has a bit southern culture and also I would like to give me and my son a fresh shot.

I work in Financial Planning and Wealth Management, mostly with elderly and aging folks planning retirement and I can move my work anywhere. I want to be in a large it mid sized urban city with amenities and things to do but yet still a place where the southern culture, values and social norms haven't been diluted so much. For instance on Friday I counted in my head and heard 3 southern accents but at least 75-100 Northern type accents from places like NJ, NYC, and Boston.

Is there any city that maintains Southern culture and values while still being a big or medium sized city with the amenities that comes with that?

What about Nashville? Memphis? Knoxville? Huntsville? Charleston? Richmond?

I have been to Birmingham and didn't like it, some of the suburbs were very nice but the city was very ghetto for the most part. Same for Jackson, MS.

I'm only interested in living in the CSA Southern States, to the exclusion of Florida and Texas and Georgia since that's where we live. So that would be Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and Virginia.

Please tell me which city you think is perfect for us and why.

Check out Jacksonville Florida. I work here in financial planning as well and its perfect. Smaller city with no real rush hour but still tons to do including (beautiful) beaches only minutes away. You are only 20 or miles from Georgia if you want to head north for a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or