U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 09:21 AM
acw acw started this thread

72 posts, read 60,049 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

I am looking to make a drastic move and get out of S.Fla. Its just too hot all year round and no seasons. I'm in Sales so i can basically go anywhere (within reason---lol).

ANYWAY...looking for some tips on moving and what to look for and AVOID. In other words the Pros and Cons of Moving to another state, etc.
  • -State Income Taxes
  • -Weather conditions
  • -Demographics
  • -Crime
  • -Jobs
  • -Single Life (since i'm single)
  • -Activities

What are some of the Best places to Live that have
  • -4 seasons
  • -Jobs
  • -Ops for Growth
  • -Relatively low Living Costs / per Income Ops

What's the most important thing to look for when Considering a Move to another State ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 10:14 AM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
I live in Florida too and get your desire to move out of the state based on our endless summers alone. Check out some of the fairly affordable yet prospering cities in the upper Southeast and Mid-Atlantic region where there is a more moderate four season climate. Specifically places like Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Atlanta or Nashville would be my recommendations.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:13 PM

Ok Kyle...thank you!

Not sure about staying in the east though...trying to avoid the humidity if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I live in Florida too and get your desire to move out of the state based on our endless summers alone. Check out some of the fairly affordable yet prospering cities in the upper Southeast and Mid-Atlantic region where there is a more moderate four season climate. Specifically places like Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Atlanta or Nashville would be my recommendations.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:33 PM

6,318 posts, read 6,979,763 times
relatively low COL and not in the East makes me think of TX, prarie country and the midwest.
For all the things you want, I guess stick to the big cities in those areas:
Chicago, Minneapolis (if you can handle the cold)
Cleveland and Cincy (if they have jobs in your industry)
Louisville, OK City, Omaha (if you don't mind a little smaller)
Dallas

Old 06-01-2015, 07:30 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,209,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
relatively low COL and not in the East makes me think of TX, prarie country and the midwest.
For all the things you want, I guess stick to the big cities in those areas:
Chicago, Minneapolis (if you can handle the cold)
Cleveland and Cincy (if they have jobs in your industry)
Louisville, OK City, Omaha (if you don't mind a little smaller)
Dallas
Stay away from Chicago if you're looking for a low cost-of-living area. We're moving because it's too expensive here. 3.5-5% income tax, some of the highest property taxes in the country, etc. We can get a comparable house for half the cost elsewhere. It's a great place to visit, not to live.

Check out the heat map on property taxes:
Property taxes: How does your county compare? - CNNMoney.com

Sales tax is at 9.25% too.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:35 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,921,409 times
I would recommend Austin and Nashville but they have a lot of same weather.. very hot and humid weather like Florida but unlike Florida both cities do get a bit of a winter and have 4 seasons just a longer summer and shorter winter. They both have everything you are looking for and no state tax and extremely friendly people. Women in Nashville are gorgeous and will talk to you, unlike South Beach.. people are less superficial in TN in general than South Florida, bit more of a church crowd but its getting more progressive and liberal with all the transplants moving in. My advice pick 3 cities you like visit them and compare them to see how you like them.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:11 AM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acw View Post
Ok Kyle...thank you!

Not sure about staying in the east though...trying to avoid the humidity if I can.
Bear in mind the "humidity" you're looking to avoid in all of those moderate four-season places lasts all of about 2 to 3 months, and in terms of what we're accustomed to in Florida....about 4 to 6 weeks. Be sure when considering that against other areas where winter typically lasts 4-5 months, and/or sunshine isn't as prevalent much of the year.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Bear in mind the "humidity" you're looking to avoid in all of those moderate four-season places lasts all of about 2 to 3 months, and in terms of what we're accustomed to in Florida....about 4 to 6 weeks. Be sure when considering that against other areas where winter typically lasts 4-5 months, and/or sunshine isn't as prevalent much of the year.
Hey Kyle....

Not sure what you mean about 4-6 wks in Florida. Florida has high humidity all year round. Occasional dry days between Dec-Feb...BUT THEY are far and few between.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or