Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:11 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,376,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'd also consider the Western half/shoreline of Michigan. Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Holland, Traverse City all have pretty breath taking seasonal transitions. It's also Apple/Fruit country so there are plenty of fall festivals and color tours. Probably Traverse City is going to the most stunning with it's high hills descending into the bay. But also Grand Rapids with it's economy and impressive downtown has things going on every week and weekend. Specifically Art Prize- The worlds largest $ public art competition, takes place over 3 weeks during fall color season and is pretty amazing. It's at least worth checking out

I will admit that I have not really considered Michigan. I will admit though, from the small amount of research I have done today, it might be on our list to check out now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

We would like a community like those listed. A downtown area with character would definitely be a plus.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:53 PM

91,981 posts, read 122,078,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree regarding SW Michigan, in particular the Saugatuck-Douglas-Fennville area which is quite beautiful. Another sleeper as mentioned is Kalamazoo which is a surprisingly nice city with a lot to offer.
Your post just reminded me....St. Joseph in Berrien County is another SW Michigan community that comes to mind. Whirlpool Corporation's HQ's are in nearby Benton Harbor. It is within an hour and a half or so away from Chicago as well.

The Riviera of the Midwest - City of St. Joseph, Michigan

St. Joseph Today

http://goo.gl/maps/yYJCI

Another community in that area you may like is Stevensville, which is a small town next to St. Joe. Nice people and good schools as well, from my experience.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Your post just reminded me....St. Joseph in Berrien County is another SW Michigan community that comes to mind. Whirlpool Corporation's HQ's are in nearby Benton Harbor. It is within an hour and a half or so away from Chicago as well.

The Riviera of the Midwest - City of St. Joseph, Michigan

St. Joseph Today

http://goo.gl/maps/yYJCI

Another community in that area you may like is Stevensville, which is a small town next to St. Joe. Nice people and good schools as well, from my experience.

St. Joseph looks pretty nice. Being close to Chicago could be a draw for us as well, as we actually honeymooned there, and enjoyed the city tremendously. Places like Michigan and Ohio could potentially draw us due to the cost as opposed to the New England area. We will just have to weigh the pros and cons I suppose. As I have said before, history is a draw for us, and for me, Revolutionary history in particular. I am drawn to the northeast for that reason, among others, but the Midwest seems to be very nice as well. The COL in New England could cause issues, in certain areas, with us being able to do all the things we want to do.

We will just have to explore some areas and see where we like the best. Any more ideas would be welcomed! Thanks guys!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
St. Joseph looks pretty nice. Being close to Chicago could be a draw for us as well, as we actually honeymooned there, and enjoyed the city tremendously. Places like Michigan and Ohio could potentially draw us due to the cost as opposed to the New England area. We will just have to weigh the pros and cons I suppose. As I have said before, history is a draw for us, and for me, Revolutionary history in particular. I am drawn to the northeast for that reason, among others, but the Midwest seems to be very nice as well. The COL in New England could cause issues, in certain areas, with us being able to do all the things we want to do.

We will just have to explore some areas and see where we like the best. Any more ideas would be welcomed! Thanks guys!
If COL and Revolutionary War history is important, then you may be interested in this: Revolutionary War - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Old 06-03-2015, 09:22 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,136,152 times
I second new England, fall colors there are more dramatic, there are some mountains and thus skiing, as well as an ocean.

Most people not from New England are not aware just how accessible pristine woods are from the major urban areas. Even from Manhattan, it takes about 1-2 hours and you're in beautiful wooded areas.

The kind of sprawl you get in the mid-atlantic (New Jersey I'm looking at you), the midwest, the south, and the west doesn't exist in NE.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I second new England, fall colors there are more dramatic, there are some mountains and thus skiing, as well as an ocean.

Most people not from New England are not aware just how accessible pristine woods are from the major urban areas. Even from Manhattan, it takes about 1-2 hours and you're in beautiful wooded areas.

The kind of sprawl you get in the mid-atlantic (New Jersey I'm looking at you), the midwest, the south, and the west doesn't exist in NE.

That is part of the reason New England is so appealing to my wife and I. We would love to be a short distance from many different things. Whether that is Boston/ocean/woods, or NYC/lakes/forest, or whatever. The topography is different as well. Plus the fall colors are fantastic, and we love the quaintness of New England towns.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
As for the Albany area, I'd look into Saratoga County. Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa and Schuylerville are a few places there that come to mind.

You may even like parts of the cities in the area as well.
Here is some information the misses may be interested in: Saratoga campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Street views of communities in that area: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0828...4A!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0026...yw!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0990...hA!2e0!6m1!1e1

A couple of other communities in that campaign: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9387...KA!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8488...NQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

This one is in Vermont: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...b94623!6m1!1e1

Some other battles not too far away from the Saratoga campaign: Northern theater of the American Revolutionary War after Saratoga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2015, 01:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,879,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I live in coastal NH and it's not bad. There are those days but the coast is usually pretty comfortable.
The breeze at the immediate coast from the Mid-Atlantic (definitely NJ, I'd assume DE and MD are similar but further south than VA I'm not sure) on north makes humidity bearable and often barely noticeable. I was going to recommend the Northeast partially for this reason, and partially for fall foliage. Anywhere from NJ north is wonderful in the fall. September is our best beach month but people barely know about it since kids are back in school and for most, vacation time is viewed as over once the kids go back. Being near the coast around that time of year is IMO ideal.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,879,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post

?

OP if the Revolutionary War interests you look no further than NJ - Crossroads of the Revolution. More battles/clashes than any other state. For some reason people forget this…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.