U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:54 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,994,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
The best I've seen are the Lake Michigan beaches just west of St. Ignace, Michigan.

Right along highway 2. I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:48 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,469,543 times
I can't leave Chicago beaches out. For a Big city it has a Awesome Lakefront with Parks, Harbors and Beaches. Even right Downtown.

couldn't resist this Non-Beach but Chicago Shore Picture, near beaches. ⤵

Overview of North Shore of Chicago from a plane to O'Hare. ⤵

Oak Street Beach Downtown Chicago ⤵

Last edited by steeps; 06-04-2015 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 04:23 AM

6,525 posts, read 7,479,648 times
Stunning beautiful beaches on Lake Michigan near sleeping bear dunes, and along US 2 in Upper Michigan. Great for sight seeing and beach walking. Problem is however is if you want to get in the water. It is cold beyond belief, only the hardy will enjoy a dip in these northern bodies of water. Remember there is ice on these lakes from November to April, sometimes May. Six months of snow and ice make it tough for them to warm up much in summer.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:12 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,357,453 times
The southern Great Lakes can get to 80 degrees in the summer, I certainly wouldn't call that too cold for swimming!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:55 AM

23,651 posts, read 17,632,423 times
I went to Holland State Park's beach last August. It was probably about 90 that day but the water was only 68 degrees. Once you were in it, it was fine, but it was god awful adjusting to it.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:13 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,278,117 times
Acknowledged as "the longest fresh water beach in the world " Wasaga Beach, on Georgian Bay in Ontario has it all. Great sand , shallow water for swimming, and clean. On a busy day it sees over 50,000 visitors. The entire beach is a Provincial Park, for day use only. It is 11 miles long.

link The Longest Freshwater Beach in the World ! - Wasaga Beach Provincial Park, Wasaga Beach Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor

Sauble beach, on the lake Huron shore is also nice, and the sunsets are amazing.

The city of Toronto has 14 beaches within it's metropolitan area. The city maintains the beaches, with a team of beach cleaning machines, that sweep and sift the sand every day, to remove any hazards and they also test the water every 12 hours for purity. The Toronto Islands , just across the harbour from the city center, also have beaches, including the nude/clothing optional beach at Hanlon's Point.

Hanlon's Point was the location of the old ball park where Babe Ruth hit his first professional game home run.

Jim B.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 AM

3,968 posts, read 3,503,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went to Holland State Park's beach last August. It was probably about 90 that day but the water was only 68 degrees. Once you were in it, it was fine, but it was god awful adjusting to it.
Last year wasn't a normal summer so the lakes were cooler than they normally are. Usually they are in the mid 70's by July 1.

I'll throw in Oval beach in Saugatuck as a contender.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:45 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,404,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Last year wasn't a normal summer so the lakes were cooler than they normally are. Usually they are in the mid 70's by July 1.
Right, it was the first year the Lakes froze at near 100% in decades, no? Definitely coldest, harshest winter of my lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Stunning beautiful beaches on Lake Michigan near sleeping bear dunes, and along US 2 in Upper Michigan. Great for sight seeing and beach walking. Problem is however is if you want to get in the water. It is cold beyond belief, only the hardy will enjoy a dip in these northern bodies of water. Remember there is ice on these lakes from November to April, sometimes May. Six months of snow and ice make it tough for them to warm up much in summer.
From May to October I've regularly swam in Lake Michigan throughout my life. "Hardy" maybe means people who grew up here? Or people who aren't expecting the same temperatures as the Gulf?

For sure the warmest Lake Michigan beaches, by the way, and some of the most beautiful, are along the western side of Door County, WI, where I grew up. When I'd hit up the eastside beaches 10 minutes away, it was always significantly colder. I've often thought that perhaps growing up on those beaches, I've a slightly skewed perspective on Lake Michigan temperatures, though

Old 06-05-2015, 10:55 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,269,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Right along highway 2. I agree.
I agree with this, too. MI Upper Peninsula, Lake Michigan side.

The MI beaches on the Lower Peninsula are fine, but not great, The UP has better beaches, the problem is that they are so far from civilization and the water is freakin cold.

For the Lower Peninsula, for Lake Michigan,I would say Oval Beach in Saugatuck for the Chicago crowd, the Petoskey-Harbor Springs area for the Detroit crowd (and some Chicago), and on the Lake Huron side, the area around Oscoda (mostly Michigan folks from all over).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or