Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most sexually liberated city?
Portland, Oregon 5 6.41%
Seattle, Washington 6 7.69%
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 1 1.28%
Miami, Florida 6 7.69%
San Francisco, California 27 34.62%
Dallas, Texas 0 0%
Denver, Colorado 1 1.28%
Houston, Texas 2 2.56%
Detroit, Michigan 0 0%
San Antonio, Texas 0 0%
Washington, D.C. 0 0%
Austin, Texas 2 2.56%
Cincinnati, Ohio 0 0%
Boston, Massachusetts 2 2.56%
Las Vegas, Nevada 9 11.54%
New York, New York 2 2.56%
Atlanta, Georgia 2 2.56%
Los Angeles, California 3 3.85%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1 1.28%
Chicago, Illinois 3 3.85%
Other 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:08 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,319,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I've also met two other polyamourous couples here! Can't say I'm surprised because I've met other swinger types in SoCal, too.
I thought swingers were just couples who have uncomitted sex with others. By polyamory, I meant actualy group relationships. I would meet the couple, as in two people, who told me they also have some girlfriends or boyfriends who they consider just as much a part f the relationship as the two alone. And they would marry as a group if possible. One woman told me she plans to get pregnant but doesn't want to know who the father is, so they can all raise the kids together as a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,466,994 times
The communities in Seattle and San Francisco have long been interconnected. A lot of the poly and kink community from San Francisco is moving up to Seattle (due to being priced out of SF). I think there was a time when San Francisco would have won this battle handily; nowadays, I think Seattle is poised to have the largest community within a few years.

By the way, to anyone that doubts Seattle, I bring you: the Center for Sex Positive Culture. The Center for Sex Positive Culture, Seattle

Old 06-04-2015, 02:34 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,927,752 times
I voted Austin, Texas. Cities like San Francisco, Seattle and Portland have too high of a male ratio and too much of a standoffish and prudishly feminist culture for me to call them sexually liberated.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:26 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,583,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I voted Austin, Texas. Cities like San Francisco, Seattle and Portland have too high of a male ratio and too much of a standoffish and prudishly feminist culture for me to call them sexually liberated.
That's the irony about modern-day feminism: As sexually liberated as the women feel, the men end up sexually oppressed, so it's really no better than the situation the women were protesting against in the first place. The sexes are still unequal; the only difference is that the women have the upper hand instead of the men. It makes me wonder if these women really didn't care about sexual equality, but just wanted the upper hand.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:45 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,510,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Gaha, funny.

Seattle is definitely in this category. Can't tell you how many couples I've met who were part of polyamorous relationships, how many married couples contacted me on Okcupid for a threesome, and a plethora of other bizarre sexual activites and interests people have confessed to me or asked me to participate in. I used to party at the gay nightclubs there, and you'd always stumble across couples from out of town who came to Seattle looking for a threesome or some other way to fulfill a fetish. Apparently Seattle is Vegas for weirdos...you know, that "What happens in Vegas mentality." One friend I made worked at a preschool and becomes a full blown dominatrix on the weekends. She showed me photos of her whipping men in masks.

I also met a guy on OKC who had a humiliation fetish, where he gets turned on by women publicly embarrassing him. He wanted me to post nude photos of him on my Facebook and write really mean things about his body. lol For the record, I refused to do this.
I've been surprised to learn that neighbors and parent acquaintances/friends are polyamorous. I'm entirely unsympathetic and unimpressed because many of them have kids who have to deal with extra adults in their lives sitting on their couches, cuddling mommy, or worse, trying to parent them. The very odd thing is, all of these people I have known are also incredibly neurotic, peevish, and repressed in their general lives. This is not sexual liberation, in my opinion, but rather narcissicism. Every one of them is in therapy for one reason or another.

Same with the nude bicycle rides -- people don't generally ride around naked, it's an expression that occurs in a very controlled way and ultimately stems out of a daily sense of repression.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:01 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,492,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
That's the irony about modern-day feminism: As sexually liberated as the women feel, the men end up sexually oppressed, so it's really no better than the situation the women were protesting against in the first place. The sexes are still unequal; the only difference is that the women have the upper hand instead of the men. It makes me wonder if these women really didn't care about sexual equality, but just wanted the upper hand.
"Modern" feminism is not about sexually oppressing men.

Contemporary feminism is about understanding how cultural power structures prevent some people from having access to opportunity. Contemporary feminism examines intersections of gender, race, social class, religion, nationality, sexuality, ability, etc. as a lenses for understanding these power structures.

Contemporary feminism is against the oppression of anyone, male, female, white, black, religious, non-religious, etc.

Feminism is highly misunderstood in our society. And, I'd implore you to please read contemporary feminist work before you make comments that further these misconceptions.

And, before you make any assumptions about my screen name, I'll add that I happen to be a white man myself.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,094,661 times
I've heard Denver has quite the swingers scene, and multiple swingers clubs. Also at least two gay bathhouses. Neither of which are remotely my thing, but whatever.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:52 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,740,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I voted other. A poll like this, you can't leave out New Orleans, where anything and everything goes, and has for ages.
This is the first one that came to mind for me as well.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:16 PM

10,649 posts, read 15,918,583 times
People tell me Tampa has the most swinger parties per capita.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,064,080 times
Whichever one has the highest STD and out of wedlock pregnancy rates, probably...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.