U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 03:34 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'd say yes and no.
Raleigh has certainly experienced explosive growth and continues to do so but its rather recent stature as one of the 50 largest cities in America and the lack of strong and long-lived city brand keeps it off the radar to a great extent. Adding the fact that its metro was statistically diminished when the Triangle was split into two unequal pieces. Essentially, the entire Triangle had grown and reached the million person threshold just in time for it to be broken apart. Now the Raleigh metro population alone is above the former combined metro from a dozen years ago but the visibility of the Triangle being a 2+ million person metro area is all but unknown to most.
Good points, but I think it is well known and acclaimed due to many "Best X" lists.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:06 PM

1,977 posts, read 1,815,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Great suggestions. I think Charlotte, NC should be added to the list I think Durham, NC is another good one. I also agree with Greenville, SC
Now Beckycat, you knew when you started this thread that "Charleston" is the pick.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:05 AM

998 posts, read 881,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Well if you live in a Navy town you certainly have heard about Virginia Beach-Norfolk. I haven't been personally but my partner who works for the Navy has gone there several times on business as well as many of our good friends, either enlisted or contractors and I haven't heard it described in particularly glowing terms. It's a good sized and developed area but lacking many of the more aesthetic qualities that would contribute to a hidden treasure description.

I would 2nd (or 3rd) St. Louis or Sacramento.

St. Louis has all the infrastructure, stunning architecture and cultural institutions of a much larger city (which it once was, i n terms of population) but without all the hassles of an overpopulated rat race kind of place. You do notice the dearth of people downtown where a bit more would certainly liven things up (baseball game days excluded) but the nearby well defined neighborhoods, parks and museums are absolutely first rate.

Sacramento has a great location on the Delta and near the foothills giving it some interesting geography/topography, wonderful tree-lined streets, a fairly dynamic downtown (improving) and surrounding old neighborhoods with quick access to Tahoe and other recreational areas. So much more affordable than the coastal cities here but with many of the same attributes.
I note your location as San Diego, lived in San Diego for 4 years (not in the military), other than the weather there was really nothing particularly "glowing" about it, especially the inland mesas and valleys.....obviously "glowing" is very much relative.
I live in the VA Beach metro now and (CA born and raised) couldn't be happier, it is indeed a hidden treasure on the cusp.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 06-05-2015 at 05:28 AM..

Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Virginia Beach area has definitely been off the radar for me. I don't think I realized the metro was as large as it is until my mid-20s when I started really studying demographics and also cultivated an interest in light rail systems. In my case, it's probably because it is a conglomeration of cities without one central urban area. Heck, it doesn't even have one standard name, does it??

I also am peripherally aware of the navy presence there since Jax also has a large naval presence. In fact, we are trying to steal ~100k people from Norfolk. The two areas are in a fight over nuclear aircraft carriers, where Norfolk has ALL of them stationed on the east coast. In 2009 Military leaders, after millions of studies and reports, were swayed to move at least one to Jax and I believe they'd approved the move for ~2015-17 along with two other ships, but Norfolk and Virginia politicians have continued to fight to block this transition. Viewpoints outside of Virginia seem to be unanimous for relocation, for obvious reasons, but the largest obstacle is funding, which would cost hundreds of millions (iirc) to prepare for such a move and upgrade facilities in Mayport (Jax Base). That said...if that hurdle is overcome, it could then the cost could be a bad thing for Norfolk as leaders may be more easily swayed to relocate more than one carrier. As it stands now, after budget issues and sequestration, we're not expecting the transition til 2020, if at all.

Estimates I think are ~50,000 population change per ship, 11,000 jobs, and $650 million in economic impact. If Jax eventually gets one, two, or even three it will be a boon to Northeast Florida and quite a loss for the VB/Norfolk/HR area.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/R40248.pdf

Old 06-05-2015, 04:32 PM

There are other economic variables at work in the Hampton Roads (VAB) metro besides the military, economic diversification is in the works and fruition of these economic changes will be evident in the coming years. It's a metro of 1.7 million midway between FLA and NY, it will not go down the tubes with a relocation of an aircraft carrier, 5,000 population per carrier is the realistic number, you added one too many 0's. The cost to outfit Jax with nuclear capabilities is the clearer reason that the Navy will maintain it's constant in this area, never mind the FL hurricane threat ...stay tuned.....you will hear more of this area in the coming years, no doubt.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:33 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,123,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
There are other economic variables at work in the Hampton Roads (VAB) metro besides the military, economic diversification is in the works and fruition of these economic changes will be evident in the coming years. It's a metro of 1.7 million midway between FLA and NY, it will not go down the tubes with a relocation of an aircraft carrier, 5,000 population per carrier is the realistic number, you added one too many 0's. The cost to outfit Jax with nuclear capabilities is the clearer reason that the Navy will maintain it's constant in this area, never mind the FL hurricane threat ...stay tuned.....you will hear more of this area in the coming years, no doubt.
Yeah, again, I don't mean to come off as a homer, but this place strikes me as a kind of sleeping giant (?) or something. There's just something in the air- this place is going to boom soon. Just don't know when.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:57 PM

899 posts, read 764,348 times
Norfolk is a good candidate for a few years from now, Richmond is already becoming the next big thing. Millennias are drawn to it (top 10 metro).

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/here-ar...nnial-markets/

Old 06-05-2015, 11:50 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Didnt mean to suggest VAB would go down the tubes in any way. But it would undoubtedly "be a boon" for Jax and "quite a loss" for your area, which is evident by how hard you fought to keep the status quo. Also not sure why the FL hurricane threat would be a real factor. Just something for people to chat about I guess. Jacksonville's about on the same level as VAB in hurricane-proneness.

I can't really remember the 50,000 population figure, but I think it was actually higher and I was just trying to be conservative since I couldn't find it. But the estimate was the total population change, so based on the carrier's servicemen, the indirect military jobs, and then all the complementary industries that would come with it, plus their families. I wanna say it was actually estimated at 60-70k population per carrier, but as always the estimates are gonna be overly favorable and, in this case I'm sure, inflated.

I'm pretty sure I've never been to VAB, definitely not since I've been old enough to experience it. Perhaps in the next few years...

Old 06-06-2015, 01:50 AM

When and if you do come for a visit be sure to explore ALL of the area, from Williamsburg to the Oceanfront. It's undoubtedly one of the most unique metro's in the country.

Yes, those population figures are quite inflated. It would be tough to lose a carrier but not THAT tough.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Yeah, again, I don't mean to come off as a homer, but this place strikes me as a kind of sleeping giant (?) or something. There's just something in the air- this place is going to boom soon. Just don't know when.
Yep, feel the same way, there is definitely something percolating here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.