U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:50 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times

Advertisements

Upon reading up on the Utah deal...it's tied in to historical events (something about crickets) and Mormanism, go figure. They have traditionally inhabited the area around the Great Salt Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:01 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,943,779 times
I saw just as many along the Great Lakes as I did in Florida. Theyre freaking everywhere. Id even see them way out in the far western suburbs of Chicago. Im talking 40+ miles west of the lake.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:03 PM

2,474 posts, read 863,437 times
In the Midwest it is not unusual to see gulls flocking behind a tractor, feeding on insects stirred up as the farmer plows his field. So yes, they can be found far inland. And as another poster pointed out, scientifically there is no such word as "seagull". They are just gulls, of several different species.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:15 PM

12,684 posts, read 10,510,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Because it would be similar to another state using the seagull. You know, humor?
I took that post I was responding to as more of a dig than humor. Pigeons aren't seen as attractive, nice birds. At least seagulls have a more positive connotation - the beach. Summer. Sure they're annoying but I love their caw because it reminds me of the beach and means I'm at one of my favorite places to be. I find the caw of a seagull to be comforting. It reminds me most of my childhood vacations to Cape May... when my cousins and I used to go after the annoying gulls with whiffle ball bats on the beach at dusk. We never actually hit them, just chased them.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I took that post I was responding to as more of a dig than humor. Pigeons aren't seen as attractive, nice birds. At least seagulls have a more positive connotation - the beach. Summer. Sure they're annoying but I love their caw because it reminds me of the beach and means I'm at one of my favorite places to be. I find the caw of a seagull to be comforting. It reminds me most of my childhood vacations to Cape May... when my cousins and I used to go after the annoying gulls with whiffle ball bats on the beach at dusk. We never actually hit them, just chased them.
Seagulls do not have any sort of positive connotation around here. They are found in most of the state, and do not connote "the beach" at all, really, though they're found in greatest numbers there.

If ya want a really dirty trick, leave alka-seltzer out for them and watch the feathers fly.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:29 PM

12,684 posts, read 10,510,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Seagulls do not have any sort of positive connotation around here. They are found in most of the state, and do not connote "the beach" at all, really, though they're found in greatest numbers there.
Interesting. I live 30 miles or so from the beach (if it weren't for NYC/LI my county would be oceanfront and my town one town over from the beach) and we see seagulls around here sometimes but we associate seagulls with the coast, no question.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:50 PM

I live blocks from the Lake, but at work (15-20 miles inland) today, for example, 2 seagulls were fighting over something they found in the lawn outside my window. Usually I don't notice them at all, they're so ubiquitous, but this thread had me thinking about 'em.

The one place I really notice them in Milwaukee is over at a friend's condo, right on the river west of the 6th st bridge with a view north to downtown. There are so many there that when they get excited, the droves of them screech so loud you can barely make conversation when the windows are open. So many congregate near a plant across the river than the companies throw firecrackers at them to try to get them to move along (no such luck). Not sure what it is about this spot that makes it such a draw, but they are there in the sort of numbers I've never seen elsewhere - and it's a couple miles in from the Lake. Probably the warmer water due to the power plant....

Old 06-04-2015, 02:31 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Minneapolis and St Paul have tons of sea-gulls and can constantly be found around the many inland seas around here such as White Bear Sea, Sea Minnetonka and the Mississippi Sea as well as among hundreds of thousands of parking lot seas.

If we don't have seas, are those lakegulls? - StarTribune.com

we also got oysters and tiny lobsters too
Tiny lobsters? Do you mean "crawdads"? I hope y'all do because I love them, and wanna move up to Minnesota

Old 06-04-2015, 02:36 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Seagulls seem to be more "cold water/weather" birds. I've seen them around the great lakes, as well as around lakes period. I can't remember seeing them in Miami, maybe there are types of gulls I just don't recognize as gulls. However I have seen them in Boston, and I have been there far less than Miami.
They're everywhere in Miami. My family would feed them the leftover scraps from the delicious Publix fried chicken. You must not be a native or have grown up in Miami if you never saw any! You'd also see them at the K-Mart near LeJeune and Flagler. If there's one thing I miss about Florida, it's the seagulls. They're quieter and more polite than the Cubans

Old 06-04-2015, 02:37 PM

10,559 posts, read 13,121,143 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or