U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 AM

371 posts, read 427,615 times

Advertisements

I am so glad they changed the Texas plates, I hated having all of that stereotypical Texas crap on my plates.

I have never been a fan of New Mexico's plates, but I am usually not a fan of bold yellow colors. I also think that New York's plates are not very nice looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:11 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,280,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think California, Washington, and Oregon do. They have been doing the basic design for 25+ years now. How about something different? Plus, all three states use blue numerals against white. This can't be helpful for police agencies. I would like to see some creative new designs for all three west coast states. Are there others who have outlived their usefulness? Perhaps Colorado, or Minnesota?
I agree CA could use an update. It's still ok, just a little boring.

The current CO design has been in place for 15 years now, but our plates are rather iconic and people here like them. I don't see CO coming out with a new base plate design for decades.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I think that states need to dial it back. The primary function is getting lost... the worst is the SC plate where you can't see anything but the super font size lettered GOD on it. That's the point of the design and that's wrong. Their purpose is to identify a car. Anything that distracts from that is not good.
Agreed. I saw a license plate the other day that was so bright/loud/busy that I couldn't even read the letters and numbers. They're not art projects!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Minnesota should really true-up the number of lakes it really has so that we can stop with any johnny-come-lately state who has any false hopes or dillusions of grandeur.

also, some states (Colorado, Wyoming) have their plates in the shape of their state which is clever...other states should be ordered to do that as well.
No they're not. Look on a map... CO and WY are more of a square. The plate shape is standard plate size and has nothing to do with the shape of the state. KS used to cut the upper RH corner to make the plates the shape of the state.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Idk but everyone should switch to the flat designs and no numbers that stick out... they look a million times better, easier to read and don't fade...

Before

http://www.15q.net/us3/mn00a.jpg

After

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pub...ense-plate.jpg
Personally, I don't like most of the flat plates. The font most states use is just weird, and they tend to look like they're fake. MN is about the only flat plate that looks decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or