U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 03:52 PM

6,519 posts, read 7,459,650 times

Advertisements

Movies being made in California has had something to do with the image of California as a beach paradise. THe water there is colder, in fact having swam there and in Lake Michigan I would compare them as similar. The warmest nicest beaches in the lower 48 for swimming are on the east coast, and the Gulf of Mexico. Now the east coast has nothing like the cliffs and rocky vistas that the western states have. The coastal highway in California is beautiful, but if swimming in comfortable water is what you want to do then your best to go to Florida or Carolina. You can literally stay in that water for hours without getting cold. I never been to a beach in Maine or anywhere north of Virginia so I cant speak for those waters. (other than great lakes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 05:17 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,020,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Movies being made in California has had something to do with the image of California as a beach paradise. THe water there is colder, in fact having swam there and in Lake Michigan I would compare them as similar. The warmest nicest beaches in the lower 48 for swimming are on the east coast, and the Gulf of Mexico. Now the east coast has nothing like the cliffs and rocky vistas that the western states have. The coastal highway in California is beautiful, but if swimming in comfortable water is what you want to do then your best to go to Florida or Carolina. You can literally stay in that water for hours without getting cold. I never been to a beach in Maine or anywhere north of Virginia so I cant speak for those waters. (other than great lakes)
True. its a good thing that most of us have heated swimming pools.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:40 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,445,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The beaches in Maine are comparable in beauty, as far as cliffs and scenic roadways go. But they're not really swimming beaches. The best swimming beaches are on the gulf side of Florida, the beaches around Miami, and then scattered on the east coast up to Cape Hatteras in NC. Above that point the water gets 10 degrees colder instantly, as the gulf stream goes out to sea.

The southernmost beaches in Cali are the only ones in the lower 48 that are swimmable, but have cliffs and rocks as well as sand.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 4,432 times
I was born and raised in Burbank so always went to either Ventura county beaches or Zuma. I lived in Santa Cruz for a year and Redondo Beach for 3.My inlaws moved to destin, fl and my family and I live in Austin so we go to Port Aransas. All the beaches have pros and cons. As far as cleanliness of beach, beautiful coastlines, and fantastic boardwalks and eateries the west coast is it. Public parking is very accessible and bathrooms are a plenty. The water is cold farther north, I had a full wetsuit when I lived in Santa Cruz and I was still cold, also the seaweed islands are pretty gross. The gulf waters are warm and the sandbars stretch for miles so he kids can play in the water and the waves are very soft and rolling, some rip currents, but nothing like in CA. The nightlife and attractions are lacking. I like playing in the gulf waters since it's warm and the waves are easy to play in. If I could take Redondo beach living with pretty coastlines and gulf water temperatures with no beach rules. that would be heaven on earth.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:05 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,749,886 times
Oh, the gulf you say? Have fun!

Officials compare bacteria levels in Gulf of Mexico to toilet water | abc13.com

Old 06-24-2015, 01:13 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,749,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Actually no, I love to visit california and over half my family lives there.

Im not sure what posts you specifically are referring to but my issues with living in california are

1) it is crowded, too many people everywhere
2) laws - too many nanny state type laws
3) materialistic - higher proportion of people are very materialistic, desiring to show off with material goods such as name brand purses, clothes and high end cars.

None of those things matter for visiting (we spend 1-2 months/year there), but I wouldnt want to live there. It doesnt make the people bad at all, they just have different values that dont match mine and how I want to raise my kids.

I certainly like most californians that I have met, including my relatives.

I also like california beaches, but north padre island, malaquite, port A and mustang island are all really nice beaches where you can experience no crowds, powdery sand and water clarity/quality that is about the same as california.
You must not travel much of California. There are plenty of small towns where it is neither crowded nor materialistic in any way. There are little mountain towns, desert towns, wineries, ranches and farms out in the country with dirt roads. It's a huge and diverse state, try opening your eyes.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:26 PM

448 posts, read 390,622 times
I chose the beach in Florida over CA this year, my second choice was Mississippi which I went to last year and I think the water was warmer than it was outside lol. Also is the beaches in TX but everyone talks bad about them. They are decent, some better than others. At least the water ain't cold, just not as scenic.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:28 PM

22,383 posts, read 27,574,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you're a water baby like me, you would find California weather not suitable.
Our pool never warmed up, even in the dead of summer. You would have to always brace yourself until you got used to the water. That's irritating.
The ocean's too cold without a wet suit (and I can totally do cold).
I like Hawaii. Carib is REALLY warm...I'm ok with that, too.
I was checking a neighbor's pool while they were on vacation last summer.

They have a thermometer in the pool and the water was quite warm, 80 to 84 degrees.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:49 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,198,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I chose the beach in Florida over CA this year, my second choice was Mississippi which I went to last year and I think the water was warmer than it was outside lol. Also is the beaches in TX but everyone talks bad about them. They are decent, some better than others. At least the water ain't cold, just not as scenic.
That's because people keep thinking that the beaches of the entire Texas coastline looks like that around the upper coast, which has periods of murkiness due to the flow from the Mississippi River; the southern beaches of Texas are quite beautiful, and in my opinion, come closer to achieving the perfection of tropical beaches closer than any other beach on the US Mainland, except for those in Florida and Alabama. The sand is soft and comfortable, slightly-off white, with sea-shells abound, and all sorts of tender tropical/subtropical vegetation can be sustained.

The beaches of the entire Texas coast, especially the Upper portion, are ruined due to unchecked human activity. When the levee was built at the Mississippi, it straight-jacketed the river, to the point that the water, instead of supplying sediment for the many swamps and wetlands of the Louisiana Delta, is instead wasted out in the Gulf. A near-shore current moves west along the Gulf, bringing the sediment to Texas. On top of that, farming practices in the Midwest involve loads of fertilizer for the crops, and it all runs off into the Mississippi, and down to the Gulf, were it creates a hypoxic Dead-Zone, which can stretch to the Texas Coast in bad years. Also, the Houston area used to have beautiful, pristine beaches all the way into Galveston Bay; even the grittiest, most industrial parts of the bay, like La Porte, were once tourist destinations with nice beaches, and parks. Then, the petrochemical industry started building up, and that, combined with some tropical storms, eroded the beaches of Galveston Bay. Upon construction of the Ship Channel, Galveston Bay, which has a natural depth of around 8ft, had to be dredged to support the deep water ships that come through, further throwing up sediment that exists around the waters in Houston, and sand bars that naturally deflected Mississippi sediment were destroyed upon construction, allowing the sediment to cloud up the waters.

So, the murkiness that you see along the upper Texas coast is all man-made, caused by unchecked human activity. At a pristine, undisturbed state, the beaches of the upper Texas coast were just as clear as those in Destin, FL.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:36 PM

5,548 posts, read 3,690,388 times
I spent three days with my brother at his Oceanside, CA beach condo last week. The weather was the usual, clouds and fog in the morning, lifting in mid to late afternoon. The surfers all were in wet suits. Some swimmers were not, but they didn't stay in the water very long. Oceanside, for those who may not know, is about halfway between San Diego and L.A.
It is a great community, but let's face it the water is cold 10-11 months of the year. And if you want to spend time on your deck before noon, or after 8pm, you need a light jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.