U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:49 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I spent three days with my brother at his Oceanside, CA beach condo last week. The weather was the usual, clouds and fog in the morning, lifting in mid to late afternoon. The surfers all were in wet suits. Some swimmers were not, but they didn't stay in the water very long. Oceanside, for those who may not know, is about halfway between San Diego and L.A.
It is a great community, but let's face it the water is cold 10-11 months of the year. And if you want to spend time on your deck before noon, or after 8pm, you need a light jacket.
That's not really true and an exaggeration. When I lived in San Diego i never wore long sleeves between May and October except for one cool summer (2010).

The water temp today in Oceanside is currently showing 71, last week I think it was cooler. Guarantee you'd find less wetsuits and more swimmers today with water temps around 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 09:00 PM

5,549 posts, read 3,697,368 times
OK, that is fair. I was just offering my opinion during the time that I was there. Seattle seemed warmer, but just my opinion.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 PM

Yeah June usually isn't a really great month weatherwise as statistically it is the cloudiest month, I always felt bad for tourists that came during the month. The water temps can spike or drop rather quickly in SoCal, which can be very annoying when they go down into the low to mid 60's.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:13 PM

5,549 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Yes, but the spirit of California is evident, as there were many who ventured in (yes, with wetsuits!), and it was enjoyable to watch. Plus, the beach at Oceanside is fantastic and very popular, even on cloudy days. They do a great job there. I also liked the Thursday night street food festival...good event!

Old 06-25-2015, 09:32 PM

3,214 posts, read 2,165,393 times
I've lived in Orange County my whole life and go to the beaches most often in August and September; air temperatures in the low 80s and SST in the low 70s most of the time. June is like our "winter" and is often cloudier and sometimes even cooler than parts of winter. Summer of 2010 was very chilly but last 3 summers have been great; this summer will be even better with the rising El Nino and the possibility of SST as high as 80 F in pockets off our of coast at times.

OTOH, California beaches north of Santa Barbara are only for looking at, taking strolls (in a jacket) and high quality photography due to good scenery in the backdrop of fog. San Francisco will still get a crappy summer that barely gets out of the 60s and the SST never leave the 50s. Can you believe that SF residents often use central heating in SUMMER? I don't believe El Nino boosts their SST so they will always be struck with a crappy, maritime climate.

Please make the distinction between Southern and Northern California when discussing beaches. Southern California's "summer" is mid July to early October and I'd invite beachgoers here to visit in late August or September to truly enjoy the California beach experience. Once every 10 years, we'll get a crappy summer like 2010 but the other 9 have enough warmth to comfortably swim. I suspect that we are in a warm epoch right now as the last 3 summers have been consistently warmer than normal (both on land and SST) from July through September. I'm quite certain it will last into this summer but uncertain beyond that. If it continues into 2016 and 2017, I will say it's a long-term warm epoch.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 4,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Oh god that's gross I just looked at the link, I take back some of my statement. Honestly my favorite beach is myrtle beach, SC. Warm waters, easy waves and I know its super touristy but I've always had a good time visiting

Old 07-04-2015, 10:49 PM

6,954 posts, read 9,051,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus View Post
The weather and rugged beauty of the coastline are incomparable though.
Oregon has as good if not better coastline

Last edited by Botev1912; 04-09-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 09:39 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Oregon has as good if not better coastline

Howz your water temp with this way crazy anomalous heat wave you have been having? Here in NJ it is currently 74.7F. In your dreams Oregon would have water temps like that. West Coast stinks went it comes to warm water bathing beaches. I can't wait for the West Coast to return to average and below average temps. Just wait, it is coming. This will not and absolutely cannot last forever. You'll see.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:05 PM

What an odd thing to be "waiting" for....

Old 07-06-2015, 12:12 AM

6,954 posts, read 9,051,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Howz your water temp with this way crazy anomalous heat wave you have been having? Here in NJ it is currently 74.7F. In your dreams Oregon would have water temps like that. West Coast stinks went it comes to warm water bathing beaches. I can't wait for the West Coast to return to average and below average temps. Just wait, it is coming. This will not and absolutely cannot last forever. You'll see.
The Pacific coast didn't have any heatwave. It's mostly 60-65 degrees and 50 at night. I am not talking about water temperature. Even the water in LA is cold. But the beauty of the west coast beaches does not exist anywhere on the east coast (except probably Acadia National Park).

Last edited by Botev1912; 07-06-2015 at 12:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.