U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 12:02 PM

6,374 posts, read 11,525,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2Paradise View Post
Tar balls washed up on gulf coast beaches after the deep water horizon oil spill too, so we're not immune to the effects of man made disasters either. Both coasts have their pros and cons. California beaches are much more beautiful in my opinion, but the water is cold. Texas beaches aren't nearly as attractive and the water isn't clear, but the water is warmer. I don't really understand the contempt for California. I think a lot of folks disagree with the State's politics and are unable to separate that from the State's beauty and diversity, so they want to berate all aspects of it.
it is actually the opposite, people are expressing contempt for our beaches, in comparison to california beaches. Just search this forum for beaches.

Our beaches in no way can compare to florida or alabama gulf beaches, but we do compare fine to california.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 02:14 PM

5,967 posts, read 3,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Our beaches in no way can compare to florida or alabama gulf beaches, but we do compare fine to california.
I've seen you write disparaging things about CA and its citizens for a long time now. I get it; you don't like CA or it's citizens. But this ... this takes the cake. I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Mmmmkay.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:30 PM

6,374 posts, read 11,525,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I've seen you write disparaging things about CA and its citizens for a long time now. I get it; you don't like CA or it's citizens. But this ... this takes the cake. I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Mmmmkay.
Actually no, I love to visit california and over half my family lives there.

Im not sure what posts you specifically are referring to but my issues with living in california are

1) it is crowded, too many people everywhere
2) laws - too many nanny state type laws
3) materialistic - higher proportion of people are very materialistic, desiring to show off with material goods such as name brand purses, clothes and high end cars.

None of those things matter for visiting (we spend 1-2 months/year there), but I wouldnt want to live there. It doesnt make the people bad at all, they just have different values that dont match mine and how I want to raise my kids.

I certainly like most californians that I have met, including my relatives.

I also like california beaches, but north padre island, malaquite, port A and mustang island are all really nice beaches where you can experience no crowds, powdery sand and water clarity/quality that is about the same as california.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:43 PM

3,582 posts, read 5,307,643 times
Yeah, I don't know what prompted this thread besides fears of inadequacy and the desire to make yet another CA vs. TX competition. Also people and gods are usually the subject of idolatry, not inanimate objects.

Also I have never really seen much surfing on the Texas coast. How do the wave heights compare to CA?

Old 06-04-2015, 03:14 PM

5,967 posts, read 3,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Yeah, I don't know what prompted this thread besides fears of inadequacy and the desire to make yet another CA vs. TX competition. Also people and gods are usually the subject of idolatry, not inanimate objects.

Also I have never really seen much surfing on the Texas coast. How do the wave heights compare to CA?
I knew it was a loaded thread as soon as I saw 'idolize' in the title. I'm Hawaiian, a human turtle from birth, and even I don't idolize sand and surf. Can't we just stick to 'like' or even 'love'?

TX beaches are wonderfully warm, which I love. You can swim for hours here! South Padre Island in late August is just wonderful. Galveston is festive and has some nice rollers good for body surfing. There are some surf breaks up and down the coast, but they're nothing like CA swells. There's a reason why every pro surfing circuit stops in CA every year. That's not a haughty opinion from an ex-'fornian, it's just fact.

Both states have beaches with great features. I don't know why comparison and a manufactured 'us vs them' argument is even necessary.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:29 PM

319 posts, read 205,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I don't know why comparison and a manufactured 'us vs them' argument is even necessary.
Because Internet.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:02 PM

2,090 posts, read 2,029,288 times
Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world are in Wisconsin and Michigan on the shores of Lake Superior. For those hardy enough to enjoy the white sand and the crystal clear cold waters, they are amazing. They generally don't attract the great number of tourists so there is plenty of room for playing in or near the water. In the late fall season the surf there can reach levels competitive with some of the finest surf competitions in the world. You should all check them out some time.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:41 PM

4,393 posts, read 5,584,831 times
I agree that this was, from the start, a thread to attract those who are hostile toward all things California. Although it may be because of the general dislike of anyone migrating to TX, which Californians have done, I have never really understood why such hostility is a rallying point in Austin. I assure you that Californians don't feel hostile toward Texans, even if some of them move there.

But as to the beaches, the water off the coast is definitely cold, especially in the summer. The currents down the coast from Alaska cause upwelling of deep waters, which are cold. That is the reason for the biological richness of California waters, but it does not make for a warm swim. (I have certainly snorkeled on the California coast, but in a wet suit.) San Diego has the warmest water. And as for tar balls, there are times when off shore drilling has caused this, and around Santa Barbara, there are some natural seeps on the sea bed that contribute (although the latest incident there was not natural, but was a leaking on-shore pipe - something that happens all over the place, but we seldom hear about it.) I know that lots of people feel that the best beach is one that is pristine sand and warm water. Personally, I like a shore line that is teaming with life - shore birds, sea lions and seals, and whales in the distance, sea stars and anemones in tide pools. When people complain that Texas beaches have sea weed I always think "Great! Lots of life to explore" because the sea weed is where the food and the life is. Because I know that cold water can carry more nutrients and therefore support more life, guess which kind of beach I like best? Different kinds of beaches/shorelines all have their place in nature, and none is "bad" unless it is polluted by people. So I say - to each his own. Love the beaches that support what you value, whether that is tide pooling, surfing or swimming or fishing. And then work to keep whatever beaches you love clean and unpolluted.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:03 PM

18,845 posts, read 13,587,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
I find the beaches to be overly-hyped in California, just like the weather. I was there in April, and couldn't really get in the water because it was so cold. Now the beaches on the Gulf, and the Mediterranean are a different story. I've swam in them year-round. The Pacific is just never warm enough.
I've been on the Mediterranean the last 3 Aprils and found the water unplesently cold so I'm not sure where you are hitting up where it's great

Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 PM

10,779 posts, read 9,406,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I've been on the Mediterranean the last 3 Aprils and found the water unplesently cold so I'm not sure where you are hitting up where it's great
Mediterranean in the summer is warmer than the Pacific Ocean in California. Visit the Med in the summer and you'll see what I mean. Even the Florida Panhandle beaches are cold in April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.