U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:20 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,207,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
That is a huge stretch texas beaches are not nearly as nice as true Tropical or subtropical beaches, like Hawaii, Florida, the Caribbean or Mediterranean.
I already acknowledge the beauty of the beaches in the Caribbean, and in Hawaii. They all have that color contrast common to tropical beaches. That color perfection is what makes tropical beaches the best on the planet; no beach outside the tropics exhibits this perfection.

However, the beaches in Texas (from Port Aransas southwards), do come closer to achieving the perfection than those beaches in the Med, and even parts of Florida. The Med has the same advantage as California; the topography. The actual sand and water of the Med is not as great as postcards would have you believe; not like the Caribbean at all, and not as good as even parts of Texas. As for Florida, large portions of the state do have better beaches than can be found in Texas, and they do come closer to reaching the tropical perfection. However, some parts of Florida don't have great beaches at all, especially those around Jacksonville, and Daytona Beach; the South Texas beaches are better than those specific Florida beaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
California has it's own beautiful topography, and because the water is not warm/hot, the sea life allows for a huge range in biodiversity, just because it's not colorful tropical fish doesn't mean the sea life isn't abundant. For example, the huge sea forest under the coast of California, Kelp Forests, support the huge range of biodiversity.

The strength in California beaches are its topography diversity and big waves and surf. Its cool/cold temperatures attract very active water enthusiasts, the kind they don't just sit or lay around in bathwater.
I already acknowledged the fact that the topography, and waves of California allow their beaches advantage over Texas. However, California beaches do not have as good of sand and water as the South Texas beaches; the South Texas beaches are closer to achieving that tropical perfection than the California beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 12:51 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,249,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I already acknowledge the beauty of the beaches in the Caribbean, and in Hawaii. They all have that color contrast common to tropical beaches. That color perfection is what makes tropical beaches the best on the planet; no beach outside the tropics exhibits this perfection.

However, the beaches in Texas (from Port Aransas southwards), do come closer to achieving the perfection than those beaches in the Med, and even parts of Florida. The Med has the same advantage as California; the topography. The actual sand and water of the Med is not as great as postcards would have you believe; not like the Caribbean at all, and not as good as even parts of Texas. As for Florida, large portions of the state do have better beaches than can be found in Texas, and they do come closer to reaching the tropical perfection. However, some parts of Florida don't have great beaches at all, especially those around Jacksonville, and Daytona Beach; the South Texas beaches are better than those specific Florida beaches.

I already acknowledged the fact that the topography, and waves of California allow their beaches advantage over Texas. However, California beaches do not have as good of sand and water as the South Texas beaches; the South Texas beaches are closer to achieving that tropical perfection than the California beaches.
The last time I was in south Texas the water looked like Santa Monica water. Places like La Jolla, Laguna Beach and some other lesser known places have much clearer water, regardless if it's colder.

Don't get me started on the water on Catalina or the other Channel Islands. I frequently fish around these islands and you can see the bottom sometimes 100 feet below. Bright blue like the Med and not entirely chilly year round either.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:10 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,604,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
The last time I was in south Texas the water looked like Santa Monica water. Places like La Jolla, Laguna Beach and some other lesser known places have much clearer water, regardless if it's colder.
Even La Jolla cove isn't really that clear. I did go snorkeling there from time to time to see the migration of sharks.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:13 PM

6,143 posts, read 2,863,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Either your memory is poor or you enjoy cold water because the water temps are under 70 degrees and on average well under that

The temps actually decline in Haifa from jan through March, march average low 60s. That's warm enough?
that's about as warm as California beaches get on the other hand its warm for march its not warm but certainly warm for the time period that being said southern Cali beaches maintain warm temps year round but not warm enough to swim in comfortably.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:17 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,475,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Even La Jolla cove isn't really that clear. I did go snorkeling there from time to time to see the migration of sharks.
30ft visibility isn't that clear?

Old 06-06-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
California beaches for the most part have an extreme maritime climate which means they are cool and cloudy most of the year, (atleast most of the day), with temps well below the inland areas, sometimes a difference of 30+ degrees. This keeps the water cold most of the year, with the exception of unusual heat waves.
I believe only the northern CA coast has a maritime climate. You also kind of have it backwards, it's the cold water that comes down from Alaska that keeps the water cool and is what moderates the air temperature.

San Diego gets 69% of possible sunshine versus 68% for Honolulu and 71% for Miami.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:42 PM

5,630 posts, read 3,747,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I believe only the northern CA coast has a maritime climate. You also kind of have it backwards, it's the cold water that comes down from Alaska that keeps the water cool and is what moderates the air temperature.

San Diego gets 69% of possible sunshine versus 68% for Honolulu and 71% for Miami.
Well, I may be off on the definition of "maritime climate", but I do know that anywhere from LA north to Seattle has lower temps near the ocean, or sound in Seattle's case, than inland and that is because of a cool Pacific, (though many studies show it to be warming). This may not be as true during winter than the warmer seasons. Typically up and down the west coast your forecast is "Morning Clouds/Afternoon Sun". And L.A. broadcasters have invented a relatively new term, "June Gloom", named after this effect. Even a few Seattle broadcasters have picked it up.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Well, I may be off on the definition of "maritime climate", but I do know that anywhere from LA north to Seattle has lower temps near the ocean, or sound in Seattle's case, than inland and that is because of a cool Pacific, (though many studies show it to be warming). This may not be as true during winter than the warmer seasons. Typically up and down the west coast your forecast is "Morning Clouds/Afternoon Sun". And L.A. broadcasters have invented a relatively new term, "June Gloom", named after this effect. Even a few Seattle broadcasters have picked it up.
Southern CA is cooler near the ocean as well, during the warmer season it's actually more pronounced. I just wouldn't call it cool and cloudy most of the year.

I lived in San Diego from 2001-2010, May Gray and June Gloom have always been used down there. Though I sometimes I notice people/broadcasters in the Bay Area trying to use it more recently. I don't even think it's a regular weather pattern seen up here but they just use it when the fog/clouds are heavy and the temps are below normal. In SoCal that weather pattern is specifically caused by ocean temps and temps in the desert at that time of year.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:17 PM

5,630 posts, read 3,747,324 times
Fair enough. I don't think it matters whether that whether you are in Santa Monica, Santa Cruz, Newport, OR, or Seattle, WA, the clouds to sunshine scenerio exists, mostly from May through September. Add on additional heat as you head inland, whether if it is is entering the Inland Empire in SoCal, crossing the mountains in the East Bay, or even going from Western OR/WA to Eastern OR/WA. It is a very real part of the warm season. However, likewise, going westbound, you can feel the humidity (obiviously not midwest or eastern humidity), but it is noticeable as you travel west into the Pacific Coastal areas.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 06-06-2015 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-06-2015, 10:13 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,249,202 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I don't think it matters whether that whether you are in Santa Monica, Santa Cruz, Newport, OR, or Seattle, WA, the clouds to sunshine scenerio exists, mostly from May through September. Add on additional heat as you head inland, whether if it is is entering the Inland Empire in SoCal, crossing the mountains in the East Bay, or even going from Western OR/WA to Eastern OR/WA. It is a very real part of the warm season. However, likewise, going westbound, you can feel the humidity (obiviously not midwest or eastern humidity), but it is noticeable as you travel west into the Pacific Coastal areas.
June Gloom rarely lasts into July, and most definitely doesn't last until September south of central CA. July through October are about the overall sunniest months in Southern California. Morning and night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.