U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 10:41 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,479,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
June Gloom rarely lasts into July, and most definitely doesn't last until September south of central CA. July through October are about the overall sunniest months in Southern California. Morning and night.
For the coastal parts of SoCal, Dec through Feb are actually the sunniest months overall.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 02:08 AM

4,822 posts, read 5,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I already acknowledged the fact that the topography, and waves of California allow their beaches advantage over Texas. However, California beaches do not have as good of sand and water as the South Texas beaches; the South Texas beaches are closer to achieving that tropical perfection than the California beaches.
Your point seems meaningless to me. If I want tropical beaches I will go to the Tropics not texas. No one should ever expect to find tropical beaches in California so I'm not sure why you even rate California that way.

Rather, if you want to see the deep blue ocean and crashing surf on huge rocks with a secluded calm quiet cove around the bend where the Redwood forests meet the beach then go to Northern California.

If you want to find an urban jungle with a large population that regularly surfs for fun and exercise you go to Southern California - from Malibu to San Diego Beaches.

If you want to see the largest waves in the country/world go to the Mavericks just South of San Francisco in Northern California.

If you want to hike in where you are 1,000 feet above the ocean with it in clear view then hit the mountain trails on the Central Coast.

If you want to find one of the most Pristine Beaches in the world go to Point Lobos near Carmel and if you want white sand beaches with big surf then head out to Carmel Beach on the Central Coast.

If you want to go to college at some of the best Universities in the Country within a few miles or within a 20 minute drive of Great Surfing Beaches you have your choice of the University of California at these following campuses, San Diego, Irvine, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Berkeley. Also, Pepperdine in Malibu, University of Southern California in LA, and California Polytechnic - San Luis Obispo, and Cal State Humboldt, even Sacramento's UC Davis and Cal State Sacramento are within 1.5 hours drive of numerous ocean beaches.

If you want rolling hills where miles and miles of vineyards meet the ocean where giant sea lions bath on the beach then head to California's Central Coast.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:35 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,208,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
The last time I was in south Texas the water looked like Santa Monica water. Places like La Jolla, Laguna Beach and some other lesser known places have much clearer water, regardless if it's colder.

Don't get me started on the water on Catalina or the other Channel Islands. I frequently fish around these islands and you can see the bottom sometimes 100 feet below. Bright blue like the Med and not entirely chilly year round either.
Channel Islands are very beautiful, as are certain California beaches... but they still don't quite capture that tropical perfection. Neither does the Med.

South Texas beaches, especially on good days, come closer to such perfection than any California beach will, in terms of sand and water. Most Florida beaches come even closer (they even achieve such perfection in the southern areas of the state).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Your point seems meaningless to me. If I want tropical beaches I will go to the Tropics not texas. No one should ever expect to find tropical beaches in California so I'm not sure why you even rate California that way.
I already said that the best beaches on the planet in terms of sand and water are found in the tropics, bar none. No other area can match it, but certain areas like Texas, do actually come closer to such perfection than California. In the CONUS, Florida is closest to achieving such perfection.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:28 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,497,085 times
A "perfect" beach would also have waves and a discernable coastline. Those don't lack that Mediterranean perfection all reasonable humans accept as an immutable law of nature.

Find another chew toy.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:31 AM

And they sure as hell aren't situated in regions where you can't live comfortably without heat or air conditioning.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:41 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,605,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
A "perfect" beach would also have waves and a discernable coastline. Those don't lack that Mediterranean perfection all reasonable humans accept as an immutable law of nature.

Find another chew toy.
Mediterranean beaches have little to no waves, generally crystal clear water. California beaches do not resemble Mediterranean beaches except for maybe some flora and fauna they share, instead they are more likely to resemble the atlantic coast line of Spain and France.

I do not know what a "perfect" beach is, I do know what a "more desirable" beach is, and that can be measured by the amount of people who willingly pay money to go to visit them. Obviously in this category, Florida beaches are supreme because more people, even from other countries, are willing to pay money to see our beaches than people are willing to do in California.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Mediterranean beaches have little to no waves, generally crystal clear water. California beaches do not resemble Mediterranean beaches except for maybe some flora and fauna they share, instead they are more likely to resemble the atlantic coast line of Spain and France.

I do not know what a "perfect" beach is, I do know what a "more desirable" beach is, and that can be measured by the amount of people who willingly pay money to go to visit them. Obviously in this category, Florida beaches are supreme because more people, even from other countries, are willing to pay money to see our beaches than people are willing to do in California.
Sarcasm, which is why I set off perfect with quotation marks.

Again with the objective measuring, completely pointless, but just for shiggles....more people are willing to see Florida's beaches. While visiting. People also pay hookers to leave.

More people pay a monetary premium to LIVE near the beaches in California.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:14 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,605,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post

More people pay a monetary premium to LIVE near the beaches in California.
In Sunny Isles there are several buildings with many units (like 30-40) where a condo, 2 bedroom, with ocean view is going for 8 million. And they're all sold out.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:05 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,249,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
In Sunny Isles there are several buildings with many units (like 30-40) where a condo, 2 bedroom, with ocean view is going for 8 million. And they're all sold out.
With a vacancy rate of over 50% and the percentage of vacation homes being just below that, I wouldn't say people are necessarily "living" there, but I understand your point.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:04 AM

267 posts, read 269,637 times
You can get an even nicer experience of Central/Northern California beaches if you also visit swimmable inland water in California as in swimming holes, hot springs, lakes, waterfalls. That way you get to be in water not too cold and also enjoy relaxing by the uniquely beautiful oceans. And enjoy everything else that is so wonderful in this area (redwoods, snow, fresh produce, the culture...), though it resonates more with some than others. Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.