U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:29 AM

267 posts, read 238,988 times

Advertisements

It's not like Canadians walk around all day wondering what anyone in the UK or Europe is thinking of them right now either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 08:39 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,133,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
C`mon, Canada doesn't give a **** about Britain, frim CD I feel Canada is an Asian/French country, or whatever, and that's just from CD. Britain has a much closer bond with the South
I think that is extreme and just not accurate (coming from someone with Scottish and Irish roots) and with family links in Scotland... There are still strong British roots in Canada and strong links with family. According to a 2006 census asking Canadians which ethnic origin they identified with - 35 percent of Canadians' ethnic roots are English/Scottish making it by far the largest group.. French is second with 15 percent and Irish is third with a pretty impressive 13 percent..

Chinese and East Indians combined just hit 8 percent.

Note 32 percent identified themselves as Canadian... I'm pretty sure the further you go back of that 32 percent the largest group would have English roots.

Demographics of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway look at a list of Carriers and flights at Canada's largest city - Toronto and you'll see strong links to the UK in terms of number of Carriers with routes and number of pax flying between the UK/Canada.. It is a strongly served market because it would appear people more than give a **** - I'm one of them and was in the UK twice last year on separate trips.

Anyway England Dan - if you want cheap flights between North America and the mother country - try looking at Toronto - lots of Carriers including Charters with cheap flights to many cities in the UK

You might even be able to catch this

http://www.blogto.com/music/2015/02/...ronto_islands/

Last edited by fusion2; 06-06-2015 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-06-2015, 11:45 AM

1,280 posts, read 688,951 times
I would have thought Virginia, Maryland, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. The colonial history of those places is abundant and fascinating.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:07 PM

1,068 posts, read 735,866 times
Fusion! you have changed my mind. I was surprised at how much negative British ( vibes) were coming out of Canada ( not from the French side), you have an exceptionally beautiful country. I remember my parents travelled by train from Calgary to British Columbia, while I was sent to scout camp in muddy Essex ( prob why I am anti- Canadian)
My next Hols will be to Fort William in Scotland and then a train to the Western Isles. ( Back as Scotland Dan)

Old 07-08-2015, 02:20 PM

364 posts, read 199,615 times
From my travels I would say the south eastern states have more affinity with the scots,welsh.The north eastern states more english,irish orientated.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,457 times
Victoria, British Columbia.
[/b]The city was a base for the Royal Navy (1842 to 1905).
Established in 1843 as a fort for the Hudson's Bay Company, Victoria's British ancestry is apparent in the double-decker buses, horse-drawn carriages, formal gardens and tearooms. The city is now a cosmopolitan centre with a lively entertainment scene and a wonderful array of attractions.

A large amount of the population is British or second generation British. Architecture and parks have a very British feel. Lots of pubs. The area has been referred as the Tweed Curtain. The city has lots of restaurants that serve tea in the afternoon. Double decker buses are part of the transit system. Home to the very British Empress Hotel, Royal British Columbia Museum, Christ Church (Very English looking Cathedral).

Rudyard Kipling spent a lot of time here. British food and sweets are available everywhere. The Governor General of British Columbia who represents the Queen lives here in an ocean view estate. Hatley Castle or Hatley Park was going to be the home of the Royal Family if Great Britian had been invaded by Hitler during WW2. Statues of Queen Victoria, George V and Queen Elizabeth are in many of the parks. Oak Bay is heavily British with a High Street. If your home sick for the UK this is the place to go.

With a wider metro population approaching 360,000, this picture-postcard provincial capital was long-touted as North America's most British city.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,457 times
A lot of the western provinces have large populations of people with British roots. I grew up in Vancouver. As a kid the streets downtown would have British flags and the Canadian flags. A lot of people were either first generation or had grand parents from the UK or Ireland. A lot of my friends went to the UK and worked for a few years after high school.
Not sure why England Dan thinks that Canadian don't like the Brits?
Most Canadians with British routes like the French are very proud of their heritage. They built the country and followed a path different from the US.
Many British traditions still seep into everyday life in Canada. Especially the fondness for British TV shows.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:33 PM

1,112 posts, read 694,992 times
??? Baltimore is more German than English from my experience. I agree with you on coastal MD thru NC. Especially the Outer Banks and Smith and Tangier islands where they still have a sort of Elizabethan dialect.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:12 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,128 times
BC Canada feels more Pacific Rim more than anything else. Vancouver & Victoria feel more like Australian cities than British ones imo, despite the weather difference.

Atlantic Canada feels more British to me, like Celtic-feeling more than anything. But more isolated feeling. In rural England it won't take long before you hit urban area by train.

Still, my going to London/ UK every year and being there many times, as well as Canada many times, I hardly see any clear similarities nowadays- there is British legacy in Canada's institutions- but not in anything else. The UK is much more densely populated, fast-paced, old and congested than anywhere in Canada. It deals with very different issues and problems than Canada, based on its global position and location.

Canada's "Britishness" is just its way to differentiate it from the US. The UK is truly distinct.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:11 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,637,440 times
Victoria, Canada should be considered. Canadian government is about as British as one can be. Almost 80% of the population has ancestry from England, Scotland, or Ireland. Less then 10% Asian and 10% French. The architecture is very British, they have the similar tea culture. Even well into the 1900's Victoria had a lot of migration back and forth from the UK. Most US immigration from the UK stopped too long ago for influential cultures to remain. As far as European cultural influence, British culture is not very strong. My ancestry is English, but I have no connection with English culture. My ancestors came here 200 years ago, the cultural connection is lost. I just don't see any American city having the same British heritage as some Canadian cities, it doesn't even make sense to that think that. But British culture is losing ground everywhere, it's just a matter of time before all those Canadian cities are mostly Americanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or