Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:31 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

Looking back at history and the fact that we came from Britain (along with Canada), which areas would you say are the most British influenced? Right now, I'm leaning towards Virginia being the most out of both nations. You have the Jamestown connection and so much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:55 AM

325 posts, read 255,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Looking back at history and the fact that we came from Britain (along with Canada), which areas would you say are the most British influenced? Right now, I'm leaning towards Virginia being the most out of both nations. You have the Jamestown connection and so much more.
That split happened so long ago, I'm not sure you could say there is anything particularly "British" about Tidewater redneck culture (I lived in the UK for several years and travel regularly, so I have my opinion).

IF you want to see primarily Caucasian people walk around near old buildings in something other than period costume - might I suggest Annapolis? If you want to see a rough, unchanged lifestyle from that period, coastal Maine might do as well. If you want to hear lots of British accents, try Santa Monica or Miami Beach.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:59 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'd go with the Boston area. The history, the layout, the pubs (yeah, lots of them are Irish, but Ireland was under the British crown until about a century ago). The Transatlantic Accent (think of 1940s and 1950s movies) was once fairly common among the elite there, too.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:24 AM

267 posts, read 310,967 times
The British influence on Canada as a whole is fairly significant. Similarities include the spelling of certain words, the system of government in Canada (Parliamentary), and the organization of the military. The names of various cities were derived from British names, either for people (i.e. Victoria, BC) or for towns and districts in England.

USA - The original thirteen colonies -

Old 06-04-2015, 10:27 AM

Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas seem to very British influenced particularly closer to the coast. You can see some parallels between cities like Charleston and English coastal towns. Even some pockets of Richmond and Baltimore remind me of London. Also, the accents in some remote parts of the coast are very British influenced. Check out below.

https://youtu.be/jXs9cf2YWwg

https://youtu.be/AIZgw09CG9E

The South didn't see a huge wave of Southern and Eastern European immigrants like the Northeast. Areas like the Tidewater and Eastern NC remained mainly populated by folks of English descent.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:35 AM

Baltimore:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2818...nCVQ!2e0?hl=en

London:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5064...xzWA!2e0?hl=en

Old 06-04-2015, 10:57 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
The Pacific Northwest has a similar culture and climate, most people there have at least some British/Irish ancestry.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Many East Coast states have places named after British people from the colonial era or take place names from England. NJ has Essex, Sussex, and Middlesex Counties, along with Gloucester, Cumberland, and Monmouth, all British in origin, most of them current or former counties across the pond. And those are just NJ county examples - there's also cities and towns. I know Massachusetts is similar in this way, too, with the place names. But as far as looks or "feel" not really at least where I am.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Many East Coast states have places named after British people from the colonial era or take place names from England. NJ has Essex, Sussex, and Middlesex Counties, along with Gloucester, Cumberland, and Monmouth, all British in origin, most of them current or former counties across the pond. And those are just NJ county examples - there's also cities and towns. I know Massachusetts is similar in this way, too, with the place names. But as far as looks or "feel" not really at least where I am.
Yes, that's also true for North Carolina. Raleigh is a perfect example.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:50 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
A lot of English transplants like the West Coast because the people remind them of home. It's definitely more reserved and quiet here, more of a "polite" individualistic society like England or Japan rather than the community-based cultures you get in the Midwest and South where religion, sports and neighborhoods are more prevalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.