Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:41 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,096,936 times

Advertisements

Er? High Tea what planet are you on?, also to Cheese-Plate, fair play, I`m not into the German/polish/ American music scene!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,823 posts, read 4,454,530 times
I think Virginia and Massachusetts beats any Canadian province, but that's just my opinion. Despite the name, you're honestly going to tell me British Columbia is more British influenced than Virginia, Massachusetts, or the Carolina's? BC has many Asians and Eastern Europeans, for one.

10,720 posts, read 23,633,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Virginia started before Massachusetts and the Pioneers came to America before the Pilgrims, so chronologically, what else is there to debate?
Well it's not as closed ended as your making it out to be, and not restricted to chronological order. The shot heard round the world was fired in Concord, Mass starting the American revolution and also the Boston tea party started the rebellion. These events are intrinsically rooted in the history and foundation of America. The signing of the declaration of Independence happened in Philadelphia so there's another factor.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:47 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,454,530 times
Southern accents also sound more British than any accent you'd find in Canada.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:51 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Well it's not as closed ended as your making it out to be, and not restricted to chronological order. The shot heard round the world was fired in Concord, Mass starting the American revolution and also the Boston tea party started the rebellion. These events are intrinsically rooted in the history and foundation of America. The signing of the declaration of Independence happened in Philadelphia so there's another factor.

I guess you don't think the colonies were really American until the revolution was won, right?

The revolution started in Concord, Mass but ended where............?

Yes, I think you already know, (Two up, Two down). Need I say more?

Old 06-05-2015, 02:56 PM

Jay is sooo right I have a new love for the South, I admit I have only been to Florida, but I have mixed with many people from the South and they have an attitude, looks, straight from Northern England, Scotland Wales, Ulster. All this Northern tea drinking quaker thing is **** gives us Brits a bad name. PS Our Irish brothers drink more tea. Must get my German banjo out

Old 06-05-2015, 03:11 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,633,386 times
Quote:
I guess you don't think the colonies were really American until the revolution was won, right??
If you wanted to put words in my mouth.

Quote:

The revolution started in Concord, Mass but ended where............?

Yes, I think you already know, (Two up, Two down). Need I say more?
Yeah, that's about as compelling as waiting for the bus when making a statement such as this...

Quote:
Yeah, Virginia is the heart, soul and foundation of the usa anyway.
See, this is a bold statement and you're making it a closed ended discussion. Open up a thread on "heart and soul of America" and you'll get all kinds of answers. I'd answer Chicago since it has all kinds Americana coming out of its ears.

The foundation of America doesn't single handily go to Virginia. And if we are tracing colonial history even further, let's add St. Augustine to the discussion.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-05-2015 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 03:32 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
If you wanted to put words in my mouth.

Yeah, that's about as compelling as waiting for the bus when making a statement such as this...

See, this is a bold statement and your making it a closed ended discussion. Open up a thread on "heart and soul of America" and you'll get all kinds of answers. I'd answer Chicago to that question since it has all kinds Americana coming out of its ears.

The foundation of America doesn't single handily go to Virginia. And if we are tracing colonial history even further, let's add St. Augustine to the discussion.

Actually, I asked you, not put words in your mouth. Sorry if I made you upset though, because this is just my perspective on the subject. You don't have to agree with me, because it really doesn't make me a difference one way or the other. I'm not even a Virginia native; I just know a little bit about American history to say that people always leave Virginia out of the significance of how America really began for the English, and mostly focus on Massachusetts.

St. Augustine was a Spanish colony in Spanish Florida, so that has nothing to do with the original british-american colonies, plus the Spanish came to the Americas way before the British even popped up. They claimed the land from Florida all the way up to about North Carolina or the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay where the British arrived, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by 11KAP; 06-05-2015 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 04:44 PM

267 posts, read 308,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I think Virginia and Massachusetts beats any Canadian province, but that's just my opinion. Despite the name, you're honestly going to tell me British Columbia is more British influenced than Virginia, Massachusetts, or the Carolina's? BC has many Asians and Eastern Europeans, for one.
If I remember right, the Queen of England choose the name to call "British Columbia". Canada was part of the British Empire until it peacefully got it Independence in the early 20th century.Canada and Britain still shared a very good relationship together and Canada became a part of the British Commonwealth and remains to this day, the Queen of Canada is the Queen of England too. Canada had this British flag on its flag up until the 1960s... Other country's that are part of Commonwealth, such as Australia and New Zealand still have the British flag on their flag, and the queen of England as their queen also.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:07 PM

C`mon, Canada doesn't give a **** about Britain, frim CD I feel Canada is an Asian/French country, or whatever, and that's just from CD. Britain has a much closer bond with the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.