U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2015, 12:46 AM
 
12,640 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Reputation: 17437

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yeh bt what if you live in South Jersey in the Philly MSA?Or if you live in Albany?You are thinking like NYC resident.Everybody n Jersey does not commute to NYC on a daily basis.
Nearly 75% of NJ's population lives in North Jersey, the NYC metro area.

Albany? I'm talking about New Jersey and the fact that this study claims New York is the state New Jersey residents most want to visit. New Jerseyans don't all work in the city but I'm telling you that for most of us, we don't "visit" the city the same way someone from New York visits Florida or Rhode Island visits Texas. Weird results here... This is what happens when you base a study on Google searches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2015, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Austin
1,795 posts, read 2,565,833 times
Reputation: 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't understand why people think Austin is so different from the other major cities of Texas. Oh and Dallas and Houston are urbanizing just as fast if not faster than Austin. Lots of Dallas and Houston folks relocate to California.
Media tends to play a big role in convincing people Austin is the "oasis" of Texas. As I tell other people who decide to move or visit Texas, Austin is great place but it's not everything. Although I find San Antonio more appealing than Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,283,787 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Media tends to play a big role in convincing people Austin is the "oasis" of Texas. As I tell other people who decide to move or visit Texas, Austin is great place but it's not everything. Although I find San Antonio more appealing than Austin.
I almost said the same thing,So funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 04:53 AM
 
998 posts, read 881,760 times
Reputation: 1065
The map has Virginia written all over PA which is 110% correct, we were talking about this the other day at work. There are tons of PA plates all over eastern VA, they are visiting AND moving here in great numbers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 07:52 AM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,130 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Nearly 75% of NJ's population lives in North Jersey, the NYC metro area.

Albany? I'm talking about New Jersey and the fact that this study claims New York is the state New Jersey residents most want to visit. New Jerseyans don't all work in the city but I'm telling you that for most of us, we don't "visit" the city the same way someone from New York visits Florida or Rhode Island visits Texas. Weird results here... This is what happens when you base a study on Google searches.
You live close to New York and in the NYC metro area, so you probably don't think about it that much but New Jersey and New York are still two separate states. So technically anytime someone from New Jersey would do a google search on say lodging in New York City, the Adirondacks, the Catskills, Niagara Falls, Long Island, the Finger Lakes etc., it is still going to count as a visit.

Actually if you look at the map, it is very common for a state to pick the next door (or very close) state as most popular to visit. For example, New Hampshire picked Massachusetts, Illinois picked Wisconsin, Oklahoma picked Texas, etc.

When a state did not pick a nearby state, it usually picked a warm sunbelt state. For instance, New York and Michigan picked Florida, Alaska picked Hawaii and Ohio picked South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 AM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,264,914 times
Reputation: 1645
Myrtle Beach attracts many folks from West Virginia, Kentucky, and Ohio for some reason.

People in North Carolina tend to vacation in South Carolina or Florida, but mostly South Carolina. Raleigh/Durham folks won't admit it but they love going down to North Myrtle. Charlotte folks love visiting the beaches around Charleston, much closer than many NC beaches for them. And of course Florida is very popular which is no surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,081 posts, read 12,461,714 times
Reputation: 26089
In summer, the entire population of Texas vacations in my part of Colorado. I would consider vacations in Texas, because it has to be empty, but it's Texas, so no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,160 posts, read 1,440,611 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
In summer, the entire population of Texas vacations in my part of Colorado. I would consider vacations in Texas, because it has to be empty, but it's Texas, so no.
My brother lives in Colorado, and he doesn't like Texas much either. For whatever reason, there seems to be a pretty strong bias against the state - I don't live there, so I don't understand it, but it seems that a lot of Coloradoans don't want to touch TX with a ten-foot pole.

I've spent about a year (collectively) in Texas. Sure they're a bit boisterous, but they're some of the coolest and friendliest folks on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,596,628 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The list is about VISITING.Not "relocating".
You are so buased.First you say

Then turn around and say:

So which is it?Visiting or relocating?So you believe it when Florida is high on Georgia list but don't when Georgia is high on Florida's list?WOW!
My friend, I know that what follows you will probably not understand, partly because you are biased poster, partly because you are not very smart and limited.

But the study *attempts* to measure how many people wish to visit another state, from the said state, by tabulating google searches. It doesn't take a genius to see that if someone puts Florida into a search engine, it's not necessarily done with the purpose of visiting Florida.

In reality, Georgia is not a state that's exciting to visit.

Last edited by SDPMiami; 06-05-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 08:59 AM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,130 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
My friend, I know that what follows you will probably not understand, partly because you are biased poster, partly because you are not very smart and limited.

But the study *attempts* to measures how many people wish to visit another state, from the said state, by tabulating google searches. It doesn't take a genius to see that if someone puts in Florida into a search engine, it's not necessarily done so to visit Florida.

In reality, Georgia is not a state that's exciting to visit.
Going by your screen name SDPMiami, you probably live in Miami. It so, how do you know what people in North Florida are thinking? Atlanta is probably on their radar screen.

I am New Yorker but I do not know what people in Buffalo are thinking. I am not sure if people in Buffalo even think at all.

Kidding aside, if people could vote for their own state, then North Floridians would probably say Florida is their most popular place to visit! Florida probably has a huge instate tourist industry. For instance, Miami, the Orlando parks, the Gulf Coast, the Keys - Florida has it all.

But you cannot say your home state, so a nearby state is not a bad answer at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top