Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:27 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd907 View Post
People in the lower 48 don't want to visit Alaska?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
It's apparent that they do, as it was ranked 8th in where people are interested in traveling, but much lower on where people actually go. So there is an interest, but fewer people actually make the trip, for different reasons.
Quote:
Yeah it's good Alaska ranked 8th. It's a huge state with variety of things to do. Most people come up here to enjoy the outdoor activities.
Kidd, Alaska is more popular then you realize, especially Alaskan cruises. Its just that its either harder to get to or maybe more expensive then other states. So the voters probably did not think of Alaska for their first pick.

Also the warmer states have an advantage. People think of them more because they are year round vacation areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Other than hitting up Chicago, why would anyone in Wisconsin want to visit Illinois? Why would Minnesotans want to visit Illinois, outside Chicago? Both states are scenic/travel destinations. Illinois, in general, is a big flat state with a lot of farms and not very scenic. For people in Wisconsin (and I'm sure Minnesota) who don't care about huge urban areas and are OK with what they have (Milwaukee/Twin Cities) or would prefer going all-out and hitting up (say) NYC instead, Illinois would be one of the last states they'd go to for entertainment.
But that's the thing, Chicago IS in Illinois... why is everyone so obsessed with Chicago magically leaving the state of Illinois.

And Chicago is still the "NYC" of the Midwest... for me (as a Minnesota resident) Chicago is still a popular "go to" destination and Minneapolis sure as hell does not compare to Chicago.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:32 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Rhode Island seems to have a unique interest in Texas. Also, interesting that Maine is the state least interested in travel-there does seem to be a lot of homesteaders there settled in for the long haul.
Rhode Island is probably the most interesting one on the poll. I don't get why Rhodians (?) like Texas over say Florida.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:00 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Odd that New Jerseyans most want to "visit" New York. "Visit" is an odd word for this because it has a connotation of tourism and vacations. Most NJ residents don't "visit" New York, they either work there or hang out there in their free time because they live 1-50 miles away. Not the same as New Yorkers wanting to visit Florida or Texans wanting to visit California. NY is right across the river from us and we use that to our advantage. I don't visit New York like a tourist, I go there because it's part of my life. Someone from Buffalo, within New York, is more likely to "visit" the city (which I assume is what people actually mean by New York in this example) than I am because I live 20 miles away and in the metro.

If this is based on what state is searched the most on the internet, the fact that it's New York for New Jersey doesn't surprise me because people search for ways to commute, jobs, stuff like that. In my experience people in NJ most commonly want to go to Florida, and do in large numbers every year. Flawed methodology?
Maybe some New Jersey people take more nature-based trips (like camping) in the Catskills or something like that? New York is a big state with a lot of outdoor activities that's close by.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:05 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
As to someone who lived in Michigan, I can see why Florida is so high. Most Michiganders vacation in either Michigan or Florida, they have no interest in other midwest/great lakes states for the most part.
The Michigan vacation mindset you describe is so true. Basically all vacations consist of going "Up North," to Florida during the winter/spring, Cedar Point, or Chicago. It's like there might as not be another world out there.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Maybe some New Jersey people take more nature-based trips (like camping) in the Catskills or something like that? New York is a big state with a lot of outdoor activities that's close by.
Definitely possible, but IMO from my experience nothing in NY beats the draw and popularity of the city. Few places also beat the draw and popularity of Florida…

Old 06-04-2015, 11:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Odd that New Jerseyans most want to "visit" New York. "Visit" is an odd word for this because it has a connotation of tourism and vacations. Most NJ residents don't "visit" New York, they either work there or hang out there in their free time because they live 1-50 miles away. Not the same as New Yorkers wanting to visit Florida or Texans wanting to visit California. NY is right across the river from us and we use that to our advantage. I don't visit New York like a tourist, I go there because it's part of my life. Someone from Buffalo, within New York, is more likely to "visit" the city (which I assume is what people actually mean by New York in this example) than I am because I live 20 miles away and in the metro.

If this is based on what state is searched the most on the internet, the fact that it's New York for New Jersey doesn't surprise me because people search for ways to commute, jobs, stuff like that. In my experience people in NJ most commonly want to go to Florida, and do in large numbers every year. Flawed methodology?
Yeh bt what if you live in South Jersey in the Philly MSA?Or if you live in Albany?You are thinking like NYC resident.Everybody n Jersey does not commute to NYC on a daily basis.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:51 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
That Texas was so focused on California surprised me. I can see the Austin crowd wanting to relocate to California, but the Dallas and Houston crowd seemed to be all about affordability/suburban living and Texas way of life.
I don't understand why people think Austin is so different from the other major cities of Texas. Oh and Dallas and Houston are urbanizing just as fast if not faster than Austin. Lots of Dallas and Houston folks relocate to California.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:58 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't understand why people think Austin is so different from the other major cities of Texas. Oh and Dallas and Houston are urbanizing just as fast if not faster than Austin. Lots of Dallas and Houston folks relocate to California.
Im personally so sick of hearing about Austin.I dont think its that great over other Texas cities.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:45 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
People in the lower 48 don't want to visit Alaska?
Don't be fooled. A lot of people WANT to visit Alaska, just not as many get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.