Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 09:51 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times

Advertisements

People in Seattle often cite Hawaii and Arizona as places they would like to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 07:43 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
People in Seattle often cite Hawaii and Arizona as places they would like to visit.
Every spring there are swarms of WA and OR plates on AZ freeways.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:42 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I don't know, maybe people in Jax would find Savannah interesting to spend a weekend in, especially since it's so close. But that's about it I guess. But I do know a lot of Floridians who look to re-locate look to Atlanta first. It tends to be this path Miami -> Orlando -> Atlanta (or Charlotte).

Now I lived in Atlanta for 2 months, it's not a bad city, just kind of a sterile city. Not really a tourist city, because there is nothing to see really. To live your life there otoh, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But not my cup of sweet tea either.
Look who's talking. It's nothing to do in Miami outside of South Beach. Plus you have to live with the threat of a category 5 hurricane coming, toll roads on every damn interstate, nobody speaking English, no real transit (that bs light rail system doesn't count), no real jobs outside of the tourism industry, etc. Miami is a ok city to travel to for the weekend but living there sucks

Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Confused why South Carolina is on the radar ff people in West Virginia.
Probably Myrtle Beach.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:29 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Every spring there are swarms of WA and OR plates on AZ freeways.
There are swarms of those plates year round here. Seems every other transplant you meet is from WA or OR these days.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:19 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
I think this data is flawed and useless. Especially from a New England point of view. The fact that VT is last and NH isn't very far behind as a place people want to travel to has to be because were only looking at hotel data.

If you added in Campground, bed and breakfast, online house rental sites, etc, these numbers would be way different.

Plus I don't think people from Maine and NH are dying to travel to Massachusetts, its probably because of work related things.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
By the way, it's pretty odd that West Virginia is listed as the least popular state to visit. Here in the mid-Atlantic, it is a quite popular state to visit for its beautiful mountains and outdoor activities.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-09-2015 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-09-2015, 10:14 AM

447 posts, read 495,629 times
There is a major flaw with the data from this site. It only notes hotel bookings.
Most people vacationing in Vermont and Maine are not booking hotels, but are instead spending their time in a bed and breakfast or camp ground.
Here in Michigan, most people are staying in beach houses that they are renting by the week or they are staying in camp grounds. People vacationing here rarely book a hotel room unless they are staying in a city......I find that most hotel rooms here are book by business people and not the tourist.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
There is a major flaw with the data from this site. It only notes hotel bookings.
Most people vacationing in Vermont and Maine are not booking hotels, but are instead spending their time in a bed and breakfast or camp ground.
Here in Michigan, most people are staying in beach houses that they are renting by the week or they are staying in camp grounds. People vacationing here rarely book a hotel room unless they are staying in a city......I find that most hotel rooms here are book by business people and not the tourist.
I essentially said the same thing two posts up.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:28 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
kind of sad to West Virginia at the bottom of the list.... There is so much to do there. Awesome place to visit and so close to all the major metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.