U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,306,960 times
Reputation: 2934

Advertisements

View last graphic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,306,960 times
Reputation: 2934
Im actually surprised that people in Florida want to go to Georgia.Confused why South Carolina is on the radar ff people in West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,602,645 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im actually surprised that people in Florida want to go to Georgia.Confused why South Carolina is on the radar ff people in West Virginia.
I'm not surprised, the study was calculated by google searches. A lot of Floridians have no interest to visit Georgia, but a lot are relocating there, especially from south Florida. People who can't make a life in South Florida, see Atlanta as a more friendly and affordable solution.

The other results range from common sense to interesting.

As someone who lived in California, I can see why Nevada is so high, there is after all a lot of interest in weekend trips to Vegas.

As to someone who lived in Michigan, I can see why Florida is so high. Most Michiganders vacation in either Michigan or Florida, they have no interest in other midwest/great lakes states for the most part.

The fact Georgia has Florida so high on her list is also not surprising, a lot of Georgians vacation here. Miami in particular as we're a fun and interesting vacation destination. And our beaches are nicer than those found in Georgia.

I was a bit surprised by Wisconsin<->Minnesota. I would assume Wisconsin would be more tied to Illinois (Chicago) as would Minnesota instead of each other.

New York isn't a surprise that it's tied to Florida, a lot of New Yorkers have winter homes in Miami and other areas of South Florida.

That Texas was so focused on California surprised me. I can see the Austin crowd wanting to relocate to California, but the Dallas and Houston crowd seemed to be all about affordability/suburban living and Texas way of life.

Ohio -> South Carolina gave me pause at first but then I remembered a lot of Ohioans love to go to Myrtle Beach for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,406,945 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I was a bit surprised by Wisconsin<->Minnesota. I would assume Wisconsin would be more tied to Illinois (Chicago) as would Minnesota instead of each other.
Other than hitting up Chicago, why would anyone in Wisconsin want to visit Illinois? Why would Minnesotans want to visit Illinois, outside Chicago? Both states are scenic/travel destinations. Illinois, in general, is a big flat state with a lot of farms and not very scenic. For people in Wisconsin (and I'm sure Minnesota) who don't care about huge urban areas and are OK with what they have (Milwaukee/Twin Cities) or would prefer going all-out and hitting up (say) NYC instead, Illinois would be one of the last states they'd go to for entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,170 posts, read 1,450,488 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I'm not surprised, the study was calculated by google searches. A lot of Floridians have no interest to visit Georgia, but a lot are relocating there, especially from south Florida. People who can't make a life in South Florida, see Atlanta as a more friendly and affordable solution.

The other results range from common sense to interesting.

As someone who lived in California, I can see why Nevada is so high, there is after all a lot of interest in weekend trips to Vegas.

As to someone who lived in Michigan, I can see why Florida is so high. Most Michiganders vacation in either Michigan or Florida, they have no interest in other midwest/great lakes states for the most part.

The fact Georgia has Florida so high on her list is also not surprising, a lot of Georgians vacation here. Miami in particular as we're a fun and interesting vacation destination. And our beaches are nicer than those found in Georgia.

I was a bit surprised by Wisconsin<->Minnesota. I would assume Wisconsin would be more tied to Illinois (Chicago) as would Minnesota instead of each other.

New York isn't a surprise that it's tied to Florida, a lot of New Yorkers have winter homes in Miami and other areas of South Florida.

That Texas was so focused on California surprised me. I can see the Austin crowd wanting to relocate to California, but the Dallas and Houston crowd seemed to be all about affordability/suburban living and Texas way of life.

Ohio -> South Carolina gave me pause at first but then I remembered a lot of Ohioans love to go to Myrtle Beach for whatever reason.
I'm not. The MSP metro, while mostly in Minnesota, actually has two counties in Wisconsin (St. Croix and Pierce), which together account for about 5% of the metro's population. Plus, there's hundreds of thousands of Wisconsinites that live within 100 miles of the Twin Cities. There's some prime hunting and fishing in both states so plenty of residents spend a lot of time outdoors in both states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,602,645 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Other than hitting up Chicago, why would anyone in Wisconsin want to visit Illinois? Why would Minnesotans want to visit Illinois, outside Chicago? Both states are scenic/travel destinations. Illinois, in general, is a big flat state with a lot of farms and not very scenic. For people in Wisconsin (and I'm sure Minnesota) who don't care about huge urban areas and are OK with what they have (Milwaukee/Twin Cities) or would prefer going all-out and hitting up (say) NYC instead, Illinois would be one of the last states they'd go to for entertainment.
Even you on this forum seem to boost and defend Chicago like it's your city. Now why would you go to Minnesota? The TC pales in comparison to Chicago. If you want great lakes, you have that in your state, no need to go to Minnesota for it.

The only thing I can think of is that a lot of Wisconsinites go to school in Minnesota (and maybe opposite) and that's how the google searches were bumped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,406,945 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I'm not. The MSP metro, while mostly in Minnesota, actually has two counties in Wisconsin (St. Croix and Pierce), which together account for about 5% of the metro's population. Plus, there's hundreds of thousands of Wisconsinites that live within 100 miles of the Twin Cities. There's some prime hunting and fishing in both states so plenty of residents spend a lot of time outdoors in both states.
I guess maybe there's a little impact there, but keep in mind that this is absolutely clobbered by the amount of people in Wisconsin who basically live in Chicagoland. Most of Wisconsin's population is far east; more specifically, far SE, which is in the Chicago/Milwaukee corridor. Western Wisconsin is The Sticks. I don't believe anywhere near "hundreds of thousands" of Wisconsinites live within 100 miles of the Twin Cities. Maybe, if you include Eau Claire (which is 90+ miles away), 100,000-200,000 range over that quite large territory. Those folks definitely do visit the Twin Cities, though, as they don't have their own Milwaukee nearby, and it's the only true metro option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,306,960 times
Reputation: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I'm not surprised, the study was calculated by google searches. A lot of Floridians have no interest to visit Georgia, but a lot are relocating there, especially from south Florida. People who can't make a life in South Florida, see Atlanta as a more friendly and affordable solution.

The other results range from common sense to interesting.

As someone who lived in California, I can see why Nevada is so high, there is after all a lot of interest in weekend trips to Vegas.

As to someone who lived in Michigan, I can see why Florida is so high. Most Michiganders vacation in either Michigan or Florida, they have no interest in other midwest/great lakes states for the most part.

The fact Georgia has Florida so high on her list is also not surprising, a lot of Georgians vacation here. Miami in particular as we're a fun and interesting vacation destination. And our beaches are nicer than those found in Georgia.

I was a bit surprised by Wisconsin<->Minnesota. I would assume Wisconsin would be more tied to Illinois (Chicago) as would Minnesota instead of each other.

New York isn't a surprise that it's tied to Florida, a lot of New Yorkers have winter homes in Miami and other areas of South Florida.

That Texas was so focused on California surprised me. I can see the Austin crowd wanting to relocate to California, but the Dallas and Houston crowd seemed to be all about affordability/suburban living and Texas way of life.

Ohio -> South Carolina gave me pause at first but then I remembered a lot of Ohioans love to go to Myrtle Beach for whatever reason.
The list is about VISITING.Not "relocating".
You are so buased.First you say
Quote:
" A lot of Floridians have no interest to visit Georgia, but a lot are relocating there"
Then turn around and say:
Quote:
The fact Georgia has Florida so high on her list is also not surprising, a lot of Georgians vacation here. Miami in particular as we're a fun and interesting vacation destination. And our beaches are nicer than those found in Georgia.
So which is it?Visiting or relocating?So you believe it when Florida is high on Georgia list but don't when Georgia is high on Florida's list?WOW!

Most Georgia's at least Atlanta's go to Florida but not Miami.Its usually around Destin and the pan handle.The Gulf region.This has been studied so its not just me talking.
Im not saying we dont go to Miami at all but its hardly anything like other parts of Florida.

You always say because they cant make it in Miami.You cant see why some people just downt want to be in FLORIDA.Especially South Florida.I already posted Domestic Migration numbers and maps showing each citiynand Miami was barley keeping is native born immigrants.

This is a state poll not Miami.Florida has many cities other than Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,306,960 times
Reputation: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Even you on this forum seem to boost and defend Chicago like it's your city. Now why would you go to Minnesota? The TC pales in comparison to Chicago. If you want great lakes, you have that in your state, no need to go to Minnesota for it.

The only thing I can think of is that a lot of Wisconsinites go to school in Minnesota (and maybe opposite) and that's how the google searches were bumped.
The Wisconsin Dells are a very popular destination.You seem to be only seeing cities.This is based on STATES.Chicago is the only main thing going on in Illinois,
Minnesota and Wisconsin are know for their lakes.Outdoor recreation is huge n thses states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,406,945 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Even you on this forum seem to boost and defend Chicago like it's your city. Now why would you go to Minnesota? The TC pales in comparison to Chicago. If you want great lakes, you have that in your state, no need to go to Minnesota for it.
Then you aren't thinking very hard. I grew up across from a state park in Wisconsin that had over 1,000,000 visitors a year. This is one park. Nature is a greater draw than a single metro area. Why would someone in Minnesota, which doesn't border Illinois and is a long way from Chicago (over 400 miles from Twin Cities to Chicago), be more linked to Illinois than Wisconsin? Makes zero sense. If you're wondering about Wisconsin's ties to Minnesota, the two states have large northwoods areas (and share some of the Driftless) that are intact/similar regions, ignoring state lines. They are sister states in many ways.

I personally wouldn't go to the Twin Cities, because they're far away and don't offer me anything my region already offers. Would I go there for nature? Sure. I've been in the MN driftless twice already this year, and was up on the North Shore a couple times last year. It's a contiguous region in terms of nature, and I don't care if some Lake Superior shoreline that I want to visit is in Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Upper Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top