U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:17 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,371,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Chicago and Philly instantly come to mind.
Correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 11:19 PM

14,810 posts, read 19,071,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Chicago and Philly instantly come to mind.
Without a doubt

Old 06-07-2015, 11:21 PM

14,810 posts, read 19,071,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Chicago is a big spread-out city and much of it is still very blue-collar. It's not like SF or something which is mostly white collar.
Only partially true. There's some very dense, large parts of Chicago. In fact, the north and north west sides of the city are just as big in area as SF with more people.

As far as the blue collar comment goes - again depends on where you are, but the city has been undergoing a massive shift since the 90s. The population today versus 1990 is almost the same, yet there's 250,000 more people today with a Bachelor's degree or higher versus 1990. I find the stereotypes of the city amongst people who haven't spent much or any time in the city often at least 15 years old.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:17 PM

3,657 posts, read 4,615,840 times
Chicago, Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, Texas, Arizona, Ohio, and NC.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:15 PM

10,850 posts, read 19,473,859 times
Denver, Minneapolis, San Diego, Pittsburgh and believe it or not St Louis (great metro for the cost of living)

For the bigger cities I would say Chicago, Boston, Seattle and Miami.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:30 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,948,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Denver, Minneapolis, San Diego, Pittsburgh and believe it or not St Louis (great metro for the cost of living)

Boston is very expensive, and doesn't belong in this discussion.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:46 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,418,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

I agree with a lot of those but Boston is more expensive than NYC, by some measures.

Seattle and San Diego are more expensive than Metros bigger and with more to offer IMO.

Boston 2nd-most expensive city in United States - The Daily Free Press

Old 06-08-2015, 01:48 PM

628 posts, read 761,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Boston is very expensive, and doesn't belong in this discussion.
True story. I'd love to move back home, but I don't feel the expense is worth it. I'd much rather have the urban experience of Chicago for about 2/3 to 1/2 the cost of Boston. I love the coast, but apparently living near saltwater is more expensive.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:17 PM

22,267 posts, read 23,769,327 times
Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Houston, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Providence, St. Louis

Some of these aren't exactly the cheapest around, but are great given what the cities/offer in terms of amenities and job opportunities.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:39 AM

718 posts, read 732,343 times
Chicago is a huge sprawl of parking lot traffic and tolls and bad weather - entertainment value is excellent bu no lifestyle to be had

I think Minneapolis is the top here. Bad weather? Yes but as far as affordability vs. lifestyle/entertainment. There is a great balance.

Denver is great but is getting very pricey

Atlanta would be my top choice in a heartbeat if the traffic and population wasn't out of control. I love it there, but I really think that commute time (not just for work, but to and from activities and events too) can kill a persons ambition to do them often. Same reason Washington DC doesn't do it for me anymore.

I think places like Miami, NY, SF all have their perks but again, the everyday hustle would become a grind.

Dallas is not cheap at all. Outsiders assume it is because they see the bug houses for sale for under $300K.... but now tack on $8-9k a year in property tax and 8.5% sales tax on everything you do and buy there. IT adds up fast. I lived there twice and loved it but got really sick of giving my money away.

Nashville could be a solid option here, what a great town. Full of life and energy for a smaller city and certainly affordable. Just not sure if it would get old after awhile or if your interests change.

Cincy, I actually don't know enough to make comparisons. I have always thought it would be a nice place to live and raise a family. I have heard some concerns from people that have grown up there, but not enough to drive me away. I think its a cool town.

You will never sell me on Philly. I think ass highly of Philly as I do of Balitmore.... and sorry to offend, but to me they are Dirty gloomy cities. I think Lifestyle has to be as much about happiness from how you feel about the place you life ass it is about what that place has to offer.

Example. "My city has excellent pro football team!" great, do you own that team? what does that team do to make you life better? Do they pay your bills? See what I mean? I understand that when your team is winning, you may feel good about your city, but do you feel ass good when your team is losing?

Same can be said for many things. But ask yourself.... what does your city do for you to make your life better.
Hiking, Biking, Swimming, Fishing, Trail riding, Kayaking, Boating, Hunting, shopping, beaches, water, art festivals, fairs, parks, theatre, exhibits, etc... these (and many more I could list) are all types of things that people like to do on a regular basis that should play a part in how we can be excited about our city. The rest are just... well... things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or