U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,146,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Enjoy Columbus, nep!
I will try to. Although...now, I just discovered that the city of Columbus imposes a 2.5% income tax on anyone who lives in or works in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:39 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,437,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I will try to. Although...now, I just discovered that the city of Columbus imposes a 2.5% income tax on anyone who lives in or works in the city.
You're also going to find out that the suburbs and definitely the surrounding counties are nowhere near as gay and liberal as what you saw in the city core. Gays tend to flock to the large cities in the Midwest, due to the overall conservative, red state vibe elsewhere, so what you saw was not typical in most areas, even of the Columbus Metro. Ohio is a very purple swing state with a Republican governor and legislature and some of the toughest abortion laws in the country, for example. I grew up in Ohio and still spend a good amount of time there as most of my family still lives there, and I can say that much of it is very conservative and traditional. A quick glance at any Presidential election map of Ohio will show you that there are far more red counties than blue.

That said, as long as you stick to the city core or drive quickly between Columbus and other blue cities like Toledo and Cleveland, you may be able to survive in Ohio. It is definitely not a liberal, blue state like what you are used to. But, as we've all suggested to you in your many, many other threads about relocating, tolerance works both ways and you will be as happy as you make up your mind to be and happier if you keep an open mind.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you will find what you are looking for in Columbus.

Last edited by canudigit; 06-07-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-07-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
You're also going to find out that the suburbs and definitely the surrounding counties are nowhere near as gay and liberal as what you saw in the city core. Gays tend to flock to the large cities in the Midwest, due to the overall conservative, red state vibe elsewhere, so what you saw was not typical in most areas, even of the Columbus Metro. Ohio is a very purple swing state with a Republican governor and legislature and some of the toughest abortion laws in the country, for example. I grew up in Ohio and still spend a good amount of time there as most of my family still lives there, and I can say that much of it is very conservative and traditional. A quick glance at any Presidential election map of Ohio will show you that there are far more red counties than blue.

That said, as long as you stick to the city core or drive quickly between Columbus and other blue cities like Toledo and Cleveland, you may be able to survive in Ohio. It is definitely not a liberal, blue state like what you are used to. But, as we've all suggested to you in your many, many other threads about relocating, tolerance works both ways and you will be as happy as you make up your mind to be and happier if you keep an open mind.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you will find what you are looking for in Columbus.
But my friend who is gay and 39 years old who lives in Dublin said that he has never had a problem being gay, and he has been there for 11 years.

When I interviewed for my job in Dublin, it was with mostly traditional people. Clearly, they didn't notice that I was gay....either that, or they did notice and didn't care. Now what do I do?!

Technically, I didn't sign the offer letter yet, not until tomorrow. I still have a chance to back pedal.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:46 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,862,649 times
You will likely meet conservative, closed minded people in the suburbs who have all kinds of prejudices, but who cares? Carry yourself with friendliness, and you will change one heart at a time. Our whole country is changing, and it's really great to see! Sounds like a great place for you.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
You will likely meet conservative, closed minded people in the suburbs who have all kinds of prejudices, but who cares? Carry yourself with friendliness, and you will change one heart at a time. Our whole country is changing, and it's really great to see! Sounds like a great place for you.
That's true. Plus, if I look at voting patterns for the entire metro area as a whole. Here in Fairfield County, CT, about 55% voted for Obama, versus 52% in the Columbus metro. So they're about the same, I hope.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:56 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,619,303 times
Quote:
But my friend who is gay and 39 years old who lives in Dublin said that he has never had a problem being gay, and he has been there for 11 years.

When I interviewed for my job in Dublin, it was with mostly traditional people. Clearly, they didn't notice that I was gay....either that, or they did notice and didn't care. Now what do I do?!

Technically, I didn't sign the offer letter yet, not until tomorrow. I still have a chance to back pedal.
Don't back out now, not at this late stage.

Ohio can't be nearly as bad as Georgia, and I've never had any problems being outside the liberal oasis of Atlanta - even when I'm with my partner. (These days, when people see two guys who aren't young together, they usually assume they're a gay couple, especially when checking into a motel and whatnot.)

Besides, you plan on living in the city proper, right? Save those stuffy suburbs for the family types...lol.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Don't back out now, not at this late stage.

Ohio can't be nearly as bad as Georgia, and I've never had any problems being outside the liberal oasis of Atlanta - even when I'm with my partner. (These days, when people see two guys who aren't young together, they usually assume they're a gay couple, especially when checking into a motel and whatnot.)

Besides, you plan on living in the city proper, right? Save those stuffy suburbs for the family types...lol.
Well, the city proper is so huge (700,000 people) that I'll probably end up living in the outer parts of the city proper, since I don't like urban living in general.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:14 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,619,303 times
Quote:
Well, the city proper is so huge (700,000 people) that I'll probably end up living in the outer parts of the city proper, since I don't like urban living in general.
That's kinda the situation we're living here in the Atlanta area - not in the city, but not quite out in the suburbs either. The political mix around here is pretty much 50/50 - so it's not all liberal, but not all conservative either. Being gay has never been an issue in my neighborhood, and there are some other gay couples living here as well.

And you'll be renting the first year anyhow - plenty of time to get to know the city and where you'd like to set down roots for the long haul.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
That's kinda the situation we're living here in the Atlanta area - not in the city, but not quite out in the suburbs either. The political mix around here is pretty much 50/50 - so it's not all liberal, but not all conservative either. Being gay has never been an issue in my neighborhood, and there are some other gay couples living here as well.

And you'll be renting the first year anyhow - plenty of time to get to know the city and where you'd like to set down roots for the long haul.
Yup

Old 06-07-2015, 02:48 PM

1,572 posts, read 752,407 times
Ohio being a "purple" state in presidential elections (it almost always votes for the national winner, and by similar margins) means that you'll likely be exposed to a lot more political advertising and activity than in reliably "blue" Connecticut next year. I'd bet the expected Democratic nominee in particular will be making multiple visits to Columbus to rally the base and motivate turnout. If you want the opportunity to make a difference in electoral outcomes, Ohio is a great place to be - all the larger states except Florida are usually locked into one side or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or