U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 09:54 PM

4,431 posts, read 1,656,670 times

Advertisements

Why not Bay Area or New York City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:25 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,521,755 times
If you dont mind being a little further from the beach, check out Greenville, SC. Im 26 and just moved here from another part of SC where I grew up and I can tell you for young professionals I think Greenville has Charleston beat in my opinion...in Charleston they re young but not professional LOL

Old 06-08-2015, 06:39 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,887,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Why not Bay Area or New York City?
I think expense is clearly why one would not consider those cities, especially on a social worker's salary.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,604 times
ColaClemsonFan11

I have been thinking about Greenville actually. What is there to do there? Is there a good job market that you know of?
Thanks! )

Old 06-10-2015, 10:59 AM

11 posts, read 41,250 times
Have you considered cities in the western US such as Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Los Angeles? I'm from Arkansas and made the move to LA about 6 years ago and I absolutely love it on the west coast. Las Vegas and Phoenix's cost of living is very cheap (this is in comparison with LA) and they have plenty of activities as well. Los Angeles has plenty of outdoor activities to offer. The hiking trails are in abundance and the night life is amazing (not just the clubs). The weather is great. It rarely rains but we do have overcast days. If you enjoy going to the beach there are plenty to choose from. Although the downside to LA is the traffic, cost of living, the traffic (I had to put that in twice), and our drought. I'm sure other people can think of other negatives but you can find negatives in any city you live in.

If you are not looking to move west some other cities you should also look into are Arlington or Alexandria, VA, D.C (metro area), Jacksonville, FL (hot and humid), Austin, Houston, or Dallas, TX just to name a few.

Also wherever you decide to move try Meetups.com. It's an online forum of various activities going on in your city. It's a great way to meet people in your new city, this is how I made many of my now close friends here in LA.

I moved to LA when I was 26 years old, so I understand where you're coming from with the moving by yourself, ensuring that you're safe, and meeting people. Where ever you move take it one day at a time. Explore the city and everything it has to offer you may be surprised what you find.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:04 PM

17 posts, read 14,288 times
I'm on a hunt for a place to move to as well, and in two postings to the forum for the Southeast region several folks mentioned Chapel Hill, N.C. and the Raleigh/Durham triangle area. Also check out Asheville and maybe Charlotte, N.C. All of those areas have beautiful outdoors with lots of hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, whitewater rafting, etc. Lots of outdoor clubs to go adventuring with, and lots of young professionals. Because the climate is so moderate those activities span a much longer season and can be enjoyed for most of the year.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:59 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,821,904 times
Look no farther; Charleston or Savannah has the best of all worlds. Greenville, SC sort of a country town, there are so many people moving out of Ohio because it's so cloudy and cold there most of the year. LA great weather and lots to do. I lived there for a few years, but gose, just too many people, like ants, and things are so far apart.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:48 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,473,407 times
Savannah has a beautiful downtown. It's definitely worth a visit.

Whether living there would quite measure up, well, that I can't say. Cleveland is certainly milder than Mpls, but it's not warm most of the year. Still, I liked the climate there for the most part.

As someone else noted above, the trade-off with the true south vs. somewhere else in the midwest more temperate than Mpls is much longer hot/humid seasons. It's one thing to love the idea of South Carolina (GA/etc) in March - who doesn't! - and another to still love it in August.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:18 PM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
As someone else noted above, the trade-off with the true south vs. somewhere else in the midwest more temperate than Mpls is much longer hot/humid seasons. It's one thing to love the idea of South Carolina (GA/etc) in March - who doesn't! - and another to still love it in August.
Not really. July-August primarily and those months are fairly rough in most areas in terms of heat and humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or