Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 02:06 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Would you consider Pittsburgh more of a northeast or midwest city?

Also, for it being a large metro area, doesn't the traffic there reflect that?
I'd say that it is Northeastern.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 04:08 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I think that you would probably really hate the weather in Des Moines. Hot humid sticky summers and cold snowy winters, not the gentle continual rain and greenery you're used to.

How small a city can you deal with? Would a population of under 100,000 work for you?

Old 06-13-2015, 04:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Pittsburgh and Salt Lake City maybe Denver but its getting expensive.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:03 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Pittsburgh has changed. The city isn't cheap. Those days are gone. And it is much more of a northeast city too.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:12 PM

780 posts, read 1,343,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I think that you would probably really hate the weather in Des Moines. Hot humid sticky summers and cold snowy winters, not the gentle continual rain and greenery you're used to.

How small a city can you deal with? Would a population of under 100,000 work for you?
I'd be willing to give up some of the weather benefits, for a cheaper cost of living, and a place with a *lot* less traffic problems as we currently have. As it is right now, I am literally being priced out of living here, and as good of a job as I do have, my wages are not anywhere near the escalating cost of living that Portland is going through the last 2-3 yrs; specifically the last 6 months.

Before deciding I want to get out of here, I had been looking the last few yrs before hand for a cheaper place in Portland to move to than where I'm at now, but one place I looked at 15 months ago, I inquired to them about a month ago and the same apt now there rents for $250/mo *more* and that is with nothing added to it ( amenities, etc ) It is absolutely ridiculous, and a lot of apt complexes now--both small and large, are having the tenants pay for water, sewer and gas ( when that was always included with rent before ) and if you own a pet, pft. Forget it, everywhere charges a "pet fee" of between $300-500 and an additional $20-30 more/mo for that pet.

Well, a move ( whether it be to Des Moines, the east coast, or elsewhere ) is going to be dependent on if that location has an office for the company I work for. We do have an office in Urbandale ( near Des Moines ) and as for the east coast, there are quite a few of them, and my employer HR is still trying to get that info for me.

I think if it came to the east coast though, I'd be more comfortable living in a smaller city ( under 500k population ) than NYC, Philly, etc. Usually the larger cities like that are not cheap ( so it'd be like living here ) and the crime is always going to be worse than the smaller cities, but I found out ( from a co-worker ) that my employer does have an office in a place in upstate NY called Kingston, which appears to be a town IMO, and yes, I'd consider that even.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Pittsburgh has changed. The city isn't cheap. Those days are gone. And it is much more of a northeast city too.
Just curious, why would you call it a northeast city ( as opposed to a midwest city ) ?

Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Pittsburgh and Salt Lake City maybe Denver but its getting expensive.
I actually grew up about 3 hrs east of Salt Lake City ( for 24 yrs ) and have been there easily over 100 different times, so I had considered that awhile ago, but yes, ever since the Olympics came to town 15 yrs ago, their COL there has really escalated as well.

Otherwise, SLC is nice--they get a lot of snow and its very hot ( usually over 95-100 everyday in the summer time ) but virtually NO traffic to worry about, and the people for the most part ( even though I'm not Mormon myself ) are rather friendly.

Most people don't know, but SLC is actually a very liberal city ( almost as much as Portland. ) However, once you get outside the city ( into the suburbs and especially near Provo to the south, it's as red as you will find. )

Colorado would be nice, but not sure if there is a place there that is anything like some of the things I'd be looking for ( outside of Denver itself ) ?

Old 06-14-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd say that it is Northeastern.....
Thanks ckhthankgod. So, why would you call it a northeast city ( as opposed to a midwest city ) and is the traffic there generally bad in your opinion ( for its size ) ?

Old 06-14-2015, 07:22 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
I'd be willing to give up some of the weather benefits, for a cheaper cost of living, and a place with a *lot* less traffic problems as we currently have. As it is right now, I am literally being priced out of living here, and as good of a job as I do have, my wages are not anywhere near the escalating cost of living that Portland is going through the last 2-3 yrs; specifically the last 6 months.

Before deciding I want to get out of here, I had been looking the last few yrs before hand for a cheaper place in Portland to move to than where I'm at now, but one place I looked at 15 months ago, I inquired to them about a month ago and the same apt now there rents for $250/mo *more* and that is with nothing added to it ( amenities, etc ) It is absolutely ridiculous, and a lot of apt complexes now--both small and large, are having the tenants pay for water, sewer and gas ( when that was always included with rent before ) and if you own a pet, pft. Forget it, everywhere charges a "pet fee" of between $300-500 and an additional $20-30 more/mo for that pet.

Well, a move ( whether it be to Des Moines, the east coast, or elsewhere ) is going to be dependent on if that location has an office for the company I work for. We do have an office in Urbandale ( near Des Moines ) and as for the east coast, there are quite a few of them, and my employer HR is still trying to get that info for me.

I think if it came to the east coast though, I'd be more comfortable living in a smaller city ( under 500k population ) than NYC, Philly, etc. Usually the larger cities like that are not cheap ( so it'd be like living here ) and the crime is always going to be worse than the smaller cities, but I found out ( from a co-worker ) that my employer does have an office in a place in upstate NY called Kingston, which appears to be a town IMO, and yes, I'd consider that even.
If you are considering Kingston, for that quirky, liberal vibe, look into New Paltz. It is in the same county as Kingston(Ulster County) and has a state college.

As for Pittsburgh, I'm just thinking in terms of its location and that the Bos-Wash corridor isn't synonymous with the Northeast.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you are considering Kingston, for that quirky, liberal vibe, look into New Paltz. It is in the same county as Kingston(Ulster County) and has a state college.

As for Pittsburgh, I'm just thinking in terms of its location and that the Bos-Wash corridor isn't synonymous with the Northeast.
Hm, it makes me think, which town/city would you say typifies the charm that can be found throughout the Northeast / New England areas ( of any state in those regions? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.