U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 11:44 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,197,994 times

Advertisements

Come on, we all know people who barely like leaving their house. It's not that far-fetched.

My first girlfriend was excited whenever I took her to the grocery store with me. It was the strangest thing ever.

After a certain age though, that's on them. I just think that it's funny that they would broadcast that on social media, but then again, it beats seeing people going clubbing in _____, when they can do that where they are from.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,032,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gville Man View Post
It is interesting that people care what other people do, even where they go on vacation. So what if people prefer to stay close to home on vacation? Is it their life, or yours. There is nothing sad about somebody who lives Cali staying in California in their time off from work.
First, Cali is a city in Colombia. The name of the State is California, it is abbreviated as "CA".

That being said, I cant say I know anyone that hasn't left the state on vacation or business, especially since a good 1/3 of the population is from somewhere else.

And you are right, where and when a person wants to visit is their own business. There are people I know in Missouri that never ventured more than 50 miles from their home.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:24 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,403,262 times
People can say "Cali" or whatever they want to say, who cares?

Old 06-09-2015, 02:34 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,009,366 times
There's people who rarely or never travel outside their region (which is one thing in a places like New England where you can visit multiple states in the same day), but then there's also people you'll meet in some places in the States where people don't really feel the need to even visit a adjacent state. In Oregon there's people who go the same spots on the Oregon Coast or Cascades for every vacation, but don't even consider taking a trip to places in Washington State--though they're about the same distance away(and from Portland, Washington is just over the river). For some reason staying within state borders gives them more comfort I guess...

Old 06-10-2015, 09:29 AM

9,397 posts, read 9,557,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
There are more than a few New Englanders like this. My partner is from Gloucester, Mass (a city and area which is among my very favorites btw) and it cracks me up how many proudly proclaim that they've never been to Boston- 30 minutes down the road lol!
Many of them brag they never left the Island. ( Cape Ann is technically an Island)

Old 06-10-2015, 11:08 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,052,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well I don't think this could possibly apply to Rhode Islanders.
You'd be very, very surprised.

Rhode Island is, perhaps, one of the most provincial, insular places in the entire country.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 AM

6,072 posts, read 3,397,513 times
No matter how big or diverse a single state is (California or Texas, Florida is long, but lemme tell you geographically it's not diverse. It's pretty, but not diverse. I been to pretty much all over the state except places like Jacksonville, Cape Canaveral and Key West) it doesn't compare with taking in the beauty of this whole country. I've lived in 2 states and have been in 7. I can't wait to visit more and move into one more as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:37 AM

6,596 posts, read 4,108,525 times
I like to travel to other states, but it takes a minimum of four hours to drive from where I am to another state, and even then I'm only in Vegas. So the fact that I haven't been to many Midwestern, Eastern or Southern states is more about my family not liking really long road trips and airplanes being expensive, than a lack of desire to visit those places.

It does seem weird that people would be so reluctant to leave their home state. It's not even like you need a passport to get there or they speak a different language or use different currency. Very strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
People can say "Cali" or whatever they want to say, who cares?
Obviously, nobody cares. I think all states should have a cute abbreviation. Do you prefer Wissi or Whiski?

Old 07-21-2015, 10:51 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,634,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
No matter how big or diverse a single state is (California or Texas, Florida is long, but lemme tell you geographically it's not diverse. It's pretty, but not diverse. I been to pretty much all over the state except places like Jacksonville, Cape Canaveral and Key West) it doesn't compare with taking in the beauty of this whole country. I've lived in 2 states and have been in 7. I can't wait to visit more and move into one more as well.
You don't need mountains to be diverse.

KW is very unique(beautiful architecture/ocean); that can rival many places in the country.

NASA - John F. Kennedy Space Center - Alligators and Rocketships

Cape Canaveral(see above). Same for Jax with St River. The 'doesn't compare' is pretty much subjective.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:04 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,403,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I like to travel to other states, but it takes a minimum of four hours to drive from where I am to another state, and even then I'm only in Vegas. So the fact that I haven't been to many Midwestern, Eastern or Southern states is more about my family not liking really long road trips and airplanes being expensive, than a lack of desire to visit those places.

It does seem weird that people would be so reluctant to leave their home state. It's not even like you need a passport to get there or they speak a different language or use different currency. Very strange.

Obviously, nobody cares. I think all states should have a cute abbreviation. Do you prefer Wissi or Whiski?
People from other states say "Wisky" and a bunch of other, far more irritating than "Cali," abbreviations. I merely don't spend time correcting strangers or worrying about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or