U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:58 PM

1,593 posts, read 835,022 times

Advertisements

My grandfather is like Uncle Jesse from the Dukes of Hazzard, been to two places in his life Worcester County Massachusetts and Korea. That's one too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 01:07 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,974,918 times
Whatever floats their boat...they are missing out on a lot unless of course they live in CA or AK, which are loaded with sights. Even then, there is still something more impressive to see or do.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:48 PM

12,335 posts, read 10,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
No matter how big or diverse a single state is (California or Texas, Florida is long, but lemme tell you geographically it's not diverse. It's pretty, but not diverse. I been to pretty much all over the state except places like Jacksonville, Cape Canaveral and Key West) it doesn't compare with taking in the beauty of this whole country. I've lived in 2 states and have been in 7. I can't wait to visit more and move into one more as well.

The beauty of the USA is far overblown. It would be much better for most Americans to venture further than the state next door. How bout visiting another country?

Americans are the most provincial people in the developed world that seem to have little interest in the wider world. Sad really, but explains a lot about the average voter in this country and how different they are to Europeans, Canadians and Australians. Also explains this whole American mindset of "America is the greatest and most beautiful nation on earth blah blah". Far from it.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:14 AM

565 posts, read 822,232 times
I say those people are missing out and probably a little more on the sheltered side or maybe a bit small-minded depending on their attitude. At any rate, its their life. I'm going to keep traveling as much as I can.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:18 PM

3,510 posts, read 4,964,318 times
Until she campaigned for national office, I don't think Sara Palin had ever been outside of Alaska, Hawaii, and Idaho..... How could someone like her, possibly understand complexities like large metropolitan urban planning and public transportation dynamics....the complex nuances and histories of different minority races and ethnic groups, etc.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 PM

680 posts, read 465,248 times
I'm from Rhode island .. trust me ... there ARE people here who have never left this 40 mile square...sad lol

Old 07-23-2015, 07:53 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,542,804 times
In my two years in Rhode Island, I've found that though there may be Rhode Islanders who never go anywhere, there are certainly more Rhode Islanders who love talking about how Rhode Islanders never go anywhere.

The thing about Rhode Island is that as dense as the state is, the population is heavily concentrated in the northeast, which is right on top of Massachusetts. You can end up in Massachusetts almost by accident. Need to get something tailored and heard about this new shop that specializes in it? Want to take your kid to this cool trampoline park? Holiday street fair going on? Oops, ended up in Massachusetts on the way there. Things like this happen to me with surprising frequency (and I don't even live that close to Massachusetts by Rhode Island standards -- in fact, I live just as close to Connecticut).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or