U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2015, 06:31 AM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,712,249 times
Reputation: 3788

Advertisements

It's possible the OP might have it about best in Charlottesville for their desires. Asheville would be the wrong direction, and Burlington VT, Hanover NH, and Northampton MA might overshoot the target. New Hope PA or Princeton NJ areas might have properties to fit the bill, but cost reasonableness isn't there there for most of us at least. Newark DE (which can overspill into southwest Chester County PA, or perhaps MD too) isn't quite as high grade a cultural hub but would be located well for evenings out in a choice of Baltimore or Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 AM
 
Location: delaware
688 posts, read 864,170 times
Reputation: 2367
you might try the eastern shore of maryland- specifically easton area- probably the most culturally oriented and sophisticated of the eastern shore towns. there is a vibrant arts community, farmer's markets, i'm sure,and although there is no college in town, there is salisbury university an hour away, with life long learning institute, and chesapeake college, 20 minutes away with a smaller life long learning program. easton is a lovely town with older homes, tree shaded streets, and newer developments as well. it is about 90 minutes from baltimore and maybe a little farther to washington. it does get snow, but not usually a lot, although it can be humid in summer. berlin is another town, in worchester county, 30 minutes from ocean, which has developed a reputation as a small arts center.

having lived in reston, i would guess you're familiar with maryland's eastern shore, but thought i'd put it out there, just in case. also there are parts of delaware you might find interesting- lewes area in sussex county and perhaps some parts of northern new castle county.

yes, most of the eastern shore is rather conservative, but i lived in this area for five years, and always found other liberals which whom to align.

catsy girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,446 posts, read 2,288,281 times
Reputation: 1361
When I lived in DC I always really enjoyed a weekend in Annapolis Maryland. It is in the right area geographically, has a fairly mild climate, and offers a ton to do for a smaller place. It is in the Baltimore-Washington metro area, but feels like its own place. It really has a lot of character and personality. The US Naval Academy is located there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 08:23 AM
 
56,564 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
It's possible the OP might have it about best in Charlottesville for their desires. Asheville would be the wrong direction, and Burlington VT, Hanover NH, and Northampton MA might overshoot the target. New Hope PA or Princeton NJ areas might have properties to fit the bill, but cost reasonableness isn't there there for most of us at least. Newark DE (which can overspill into southwest Chester County PA, or perhaps MD too) isn't quite as high grade a cultural hub but would be located well for evenings out in a choice of Baltimore or Philadelphia.
I thought about West Chester PA, but the issue there may be the COL.

Ithaca would be perfect, as long as the OP could deal with December, January, February and early March, give or take.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-10-2015 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
17 posts, read 14,251 times
Reputation: 19
The problem with the stats in university towns is that it raises the rankings because of the university population, giving the impression that there are a lot of educated people there. Well, they're students, not really a part of the rest of the general population. I checked out Newark, DE, and there is only 1 natural foods store and it's a coop. Looks cute, but not a reason to move to DE.

The NC triangle area has really shaped up over the past 10 years, but.... the heat, and it's further South. Upstate NY is just to depressingly grey during the winter. Some nice parts of the Hudson Valley are worth a look maybe.

A few folks have suggested Doylestown and West Chester in Pennsylvania, with New Hope being charming but probably too small. I like the sound of Red Bank, New Jersey, but I've been reading about the awful taxes!

Sigh... it's a tough one. I don't mind a longer winter than we have in Charlottesville, as long as it's sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 11:49 AM
 
56,564 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderJoy View Post
The problem with the stats in university towns is that it raises the rankings because of the university population, giving the impression that there are a lot of educated people there. Well, they're students, not really a part of the rest of the general population. I checked out Newark, DE, and there is only 1 natural foods store and it's a coop. Looks cute, but not a reason to move to DE.

The NC triangle area has really shaped up over the past 10 years, but.... the heat, and it's further South. Upstate NY is just to depressingly grey during the winter. Some nice parts of the Hudson Valley are worth a look maybe.

A few folks have suggested Doylestown and West Chester in Pennsylvania, with New Hope being charming but probably too small. I like the sound of Red Bank, New Jersey, but I've been reading about the awful taxes!

Sigh... it's a tough one. I don't mind a longer winter than we have in Charlottesville, as long as it's sunny.
Actually, undergrad students aren't included in the educational attainment numbers, but those going for advanced degrees are included due to already having a Bachelor's degree.

Those PA suggestions are not isolated and are pretty close to Philadelphia.

I guess New Paltz is a Hudson Valley community that could work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
17 posts, read 14,251 times
Reputation: 19
Ki0eh it's been a tough decision to leave Charlottesville because there's a lot to like here, but there's just this strong sense that it's time to move on. It served me well for 12 years but my time here is done. It's odd, but definite. I want to experience another great place before it's time to seriously think about retirement. As for evenings out I wouldn't drive to a major city for that, it's too inconvenient. I'd do a day trip, but it's simply not fun to drive far for an evening's entertainment. That why vibrant options for evenings locally are important. A great farm to table dinner expertly prepared, Spanish guitar at a local cafe or venue, great community theatre or dance. Lectures and seminars, etc., then you are home in 20 minutes.

Catsy girl it's been a while since I was on the Eastern Shore, but when I lived in D.C. I went a few times. It's probably changed quite a bit, but that strong, conservative streak with distinctive undertones of racism probably hasn't evaporated. A friend's daughter lived in Newark, DE for many years and she was there quite a bit to visit. Her sense was that there just wasn't much happening there. There are lovely towns aplenty, but its the people that make the town a great place to live.

Po Boy, Annapolis was on my maybe list, then got shunted aside for a bit, but I may put it back on. I need to revisit it and get a feel for the area again. Too many tourists in season with an overcrowded and expensive center core. But just outside Annapolis might be nice.

ckhthankgod I looked into Ithaca but it's too grey too much of the time. Maybe colder than I want with more snow that lasts longer. I believe it's colder and greyer than West Chester or Doylestown PA.

The list is narrowing down, and there is nothing like a road trip to visit someplace and get a feel for the area to see if it's right for you. The search continues, and all suggestions are welcome. Until it was mentioned on these forums, I was unaware of some of these towns/cities, so this is all very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 05:16 AM
 
21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Reputation: 19627
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderJoy View Post
The NC triangle area has really shaped up over the past 10 years, but.... the heat, and it's further South.
And still is probably the best fit. In terms of "the heat" it doesn't really get any hotter than places you're considering in PA or NJ and has overall a moderate four season climate which includes non murky/gray winters. I'm still not sure what the "further South" negative is for you, particularly since the area recommended (Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro) is significantly more liberal/progressive than many areas being recommended further North. I think you might want to revisit your geographic restriction which is seemingly based on information not current or accurate, and actually drive down for a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2015, 08:10 AM
 
56,564 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, undergrad students aren't included in the educational attainment numbers, but those going for advanced degrees are included due to already having a Bachelor's degree.

Those PA suggestions are not isolated and are pretty close to Philadelphia.

I guess New Paltz is a Hudson Valley community that could work.
Here is some New Paltz info: Welcome - New Paltz Regional Chamber of Commerce | New Paltz, NY

State University of New York at New Paltz

It is known for its liberal, quirky, hippy vibe as well.

Beacon is a small city not too far from there that has developed an art scene and is about an hour or so north of NYC: What's up in Beacon, NY - Chez Sasha

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/re...ered.html?_r=0

More Hudson Valley info: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/ny...oklynites.html

Nyack in Rockland County is another community that comes to mind: http://www.visitnyack.org/

Village of Nyack | Official website for the Village of Nyack

Very diverse community with a liberal vibe and quite a bit going on for its size.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-12-2015 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 09:46 AM
 
1,701 posts, read 1,364,251 times
Reputation: 1743
Even though traffic is worse and it's more crowded I'd imagine Reston is much more exciting now compared to what is was in the 70's and 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top