U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 02:02 PM

17 posts, read 14,259 times

Advertisements

Hi Harry in PA, well actually I hadn't considered Vermont because of the cold and what I assumed were perpetually grey winters. I'll see what I can research on that. I do want to be in a progressive, forward-thinking small city or very large town. However I'm also looking for a place where there is a lot going on-community theatre, the arts, lots of live music, festivals and a great social scene where people get together to do things they are interested in - hiking or outdoor activities, book salons, etc.

A place that nurtures entrepreneurs and where people make connections to make things happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 03:26 PM

56,648 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryinPA View Post
Have you considered Brattleboro Vermont? Yes, it's cold but southern Vermont really isn't all that cold and the summers and falls are wonderful. As you've mentioned, you can't have everything. There is a bit of humidity but it's nothing like the south. As to sunshine, Sperling's shows that Brattleboro receives almost 40 more days of sunshine than Burlington (edit: Ithaca is the same as Burlington). For comparison, Charlottesville receives about 20 more days than Brattleboro.

When I read your posts it seems the thing you're looking for is to be around open-minded, progressive people in a vibrant, progressive community. Brattleboro doesn't really have a college (well, a large one) but everything else on your list is largely there. And, I would guess it's going to be less expensive than a lot of other places like New Hope.
I wonder if Bennington in southern VT, which does have a college, would also work.

OP, in terms of entrepreneurship, is there a certain type of industry that you are looking into or just into entrepreneurship in a general sense? I ask, because you may be interested in a program like this: START-UP NY Grow Your Business

Hopefully, others can post some similar programs.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:24 PM

Thanks HarryinPA! I do know that the Vermont food scene is top notch, and I will check out the attractions you mention. I'm hoping that these towns mentioned in both threads I started are not too small. Charlottesville is roughly 44,350 with some of that spread just outside the city into the county of Albemarle. Looking at the population of some of the places people are mentioning, I might not be happy with the offering of the area if the population is too small. There might not be enough going on a lot of the time. I'm looking for a consistent level of stuff to do, not just a festival or two "in season", etc.

It really is hard to tell unless you go for a visit and get a feel for the place. I am concerned about winters in Vermont, that's why I didn't really have it on my map. I am up for a bit more snow during the winters than what we get here in Cville, but not too much! There were several past years here where it didn't snow at all. Last year we got about 8" on three occasions, but it was pretty much gone in a couple of days, except for some in the woods. Sperling is a good resource, so I'll add it to my resource list for comparisons.

I'm also looking for a great downtown area with lots of options, so that you can live just outside of town by maybe 10-15 minutes, and get in to partake of the fun. I'll research Brattleboro to see what it's like.

Last edited by CommanderJoy; 06-14-2015 at 05:58 PM..

Old 06-14-2015, 05:30 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,009,760 times
You basically described Burlington, VT, Northampton, MA and Portland, ME to a T. Only major issue is the weather, which can get pretty overbearing during the winter months.

Another New England option would be Providence, RI. Ticks all your boxes for cultural activities, local food and drink scene and also college vibe (Brown University area specifically) Once again though, it may not meet your desires weather wise.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:45 PM

I know, the weather is the sticking point on Portland, because from what I can tell it is a terrific town. Grey most of the winter though, and cold of course. Northhampton I don't know much about at all, I'll look into it, but it's about the same latitude as Albany, so snow, cold and grey is going to be the dominant winter theme.

West Chester, PA , the Bucks County area are not too far north and seem quite attractive, and if it weren't for New Jersey taxes, Red Bank NJ sounds good also. Not sure I want to move to NJ because of the high costs of just about everything like taxes, insurance, etc.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:55 PM

56,648 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderJoy View Post
I know, the weather is the sticking point on Portland, because from what I can tell it is a terrific town. Grey most of the winter though, and cold of course. Northhampton I don't know much about at all, I'll look into it, but it's about the same latitude as Albany, so snow, cold and grey is going to be the dominant winter theme.

West Chester, PA , the Bucks County area are not too far north and seem quite attractive, and if it weren't for New Jersey taxes, Red Bank NJ sounds good also. Not sure I want to move to NJ because of the high costs of just about everything like taxes, insurance, etc.
What about New Paltz, Beacon or Nyack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or