U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 12:36 PM

17 posts, read 14,253 times

Advertisements

Born in NYC, I lived in Washington D.C. to go to American University, then lived in Reston, VA for 18 years. I watched D.C. and NOVA get ridiculously crowded and lose a lot of good vibes. Believe it or not when I moved to D.C in 1973 it was a sleepy Southern town. Raised a family in Reston, Virginia when it was a great place to live. I'm a single Mom, early 60's with my own sole proprietorship as a Communications Designer so I have a home office. As a refugee from the Northern Virginia area I moved to Charlottesville, VA where I've lived for 12 years. Now that kids are grown and on their own, I'm looking for a new place to live. Cville is absolutely terrific for many things, but for me it's time for a change. I don't need to commute, I don't need good schools. Here's what I'm looking for:
1 East Coast because family is here.
2 Not too cold or too much snow or grey days forever in winter.
3 Not too hot or humid.
4 A town or small city with a real sense of community (as opposed to a bedroom annex of a large city.)
5 A progressive, liberal place with an awareness of environmental responsibility and eco-consciousness.
6 Access to farmer's markets, organic food, farm-to-table and excellent natural food year-round. Where this kind of lifestyle is growing and is supported by locals who care about the land that supports them.
7 Great quality of life, maybe near lake, river, shore. Easy to get around town, lots of fun things to do, groups to do them with, great social life with educated people who are laid back - a vibrant place that is beautiful to live in.
8 Lots of (non-chain) shops, independent businesses, quality dining (fresh natural food well-prepared), music and cultural events, eclectic, vibrant (I know I've used that word twice), a place where people put their time and energy into making their town a better place to live and have a stake in its future.
9 Maybe a nearby college or university where you can audit classes that interest you, or attend lectures at an institute - keep the mind engaged.
10 As far as housing-I'd love to find a small lot to build an energy-efficient dwelling, gut a small cottage/handyman special, or find a place where someone has already done that, etc. Reasonable housing prices and cost of living in a beautiful area.
A lot to ask for, possibly, but I figured I'd throw my wish list out to the universe and see what comes back! Somebody out there might have some suggestions for me to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:08 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,716,682 times
Millheim, PA - could be a bit smaller and more remote than you are looking for Millheim Business Community | Promoting the healthy economic and cultural development of Millheim and the valley region through community cooperation, entrepreneurial innovation, and local governance.

Areas around (not necessarily in) Ithaca, NY - possibly a little lacking in your #2 criterion by many standards, though. Odessa, Burdett, Interlaken, Trumansburg, Lansing, Genoa, Poplar Ridge, Aurora, Moravia, Groton, Dryden, Homer, Cortland, Harford, Richford, Slaterville Springs, Candor, Spencer, Van Etten, Montour Falls.

Maybe SW Lancaster County, PA - near Columbia, Marietta, Conestoga, Mount Joy, Elizabethtown - or the Furnace Hills bordering Lebanon County, PA - Manheim, Mt Gretna, Cornwall - or SE York County, PA (Delta and nearby) - although it may fall down some on your #5 criterion, still not so far out that there aren't at least some Democrats.

Bloomsburg and maybe some areas in surrounding Columbia County, PA.

NE Berks and SW Lehigh counties, PA - Kutztown, Albany, nearby towns.

Further out in PA for the most part there may be come local food ethic that extends beyond the geographic range of anything that might be considered progressive, liberal, or "eco-conscious". If you're willing to abandon #5 altogether that opens up areas such as Huntingdon, Newport, McConnellsburg, and Wellsboro, PA; and Flintstone and Hancock, MD.

In NY State northwest (Canton/Potsdam although this will really fall down on #2), east, and south (not west around the military town of Watertown/Fort Drum though) of the Adirondacks. Also Otsego (Cooperstown), Schoharie, Delaware, Sullivan, Greene, outer Albany, outer Schenectady, outer Saratoga, Washington, Rensselaer, Columbia, Ulster counties will have many towns with friendly price points and developing local shopping/culture not quite as brutal weather-wise as northern and western NY. Parts of Wayne and Pike counties in PA closer to the Delaware River pick up on the penumbra of this vibe. Anywhere in the listening area of this won't be too bad: 25 Years of WJFF 1990-2015 - WJFF Homepage -25 Years of WJFF 1990-2015

Old 06-09-2015, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the reply ki0eh, my "guess" is those areas might be lacking in a level of education and sophistication I'm looking for, but I will check them out. I was reading up a bit on New Hope, looks interesting. I don't want to be in a remote, rural area, but don't need easy access to a major city either. While I can take a bit more cold and snow than we have in the Blue Ridge central VA area, I don't want brutal or grey winters, which northern and western NY has. It's going to be tricky to find that combination of laid-back, education and sophistication, arts, culture, great food, etc. in a non-urban setting yet without a small town mentality.

Actually, I'm an Independent, politically-speaking.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderJoy View Post
Thanks for the reply ki0eh, my "guess" is those areas might be lacking in a level of education and sophistication I'm looking for, but I will check them out. I was reading up a bit on New Hope, looks interesting. I don't want to be in a remote, rural area, but don't need easy access to a major city either. While I can take a bit more cold and snow than we have in the Blue Ridge central VA area, I don't want brutal or grey winters, which northern and western NY has. It's going to be tricky to find that combination of laid-back, education and sophistication, arts, culture, great food, etc. in a non-urban setting yet without a small town mentality.

Actually, I'm an Independent, politically-speaking.
Those NY locations are highly educated with the Ithaca metro ranking 2nd or 3rd out of all metro areas in educational attainment. Potsdam and Canton are two small communities about 5-10 miles apart and with 4 colleges/universities between them. Portions of eastern Upstate NY gets less snowfall and more sun than other parts of Upstate NY. I thought about suggesting Oneonta, Hamilton and Clinton as well, but #2 would/may be the only issue given that all 3 have a college presence(Oneonta has 2). Clinton in the Utica-Rome area and is the one community out of the 3 that is closest to a bigger city.

Brockport outside of Rochester and on the Erie Canal would fit most, if not all of the list except for #2. Village of Brockport, NY

Brockport, NY Community Videos - Quality of Life

I will throw out Newark DE as another potential community to look into.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-09-2015 at 02:30 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 PM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderJoy View Post
Born in NYC, I lived in Washington D.C. to go to American University, then lived in Reston, VA for 18 years. I watched D.C. and NOVA get ridiculously crowded and lose a lot of good vibes. Believe it or not when I moved to D.C in 1973 it was a sleepy Southern town. Raised a family in Reston, Virginia when it was a great place to live. I'm a single Mom, early 60's with my own sole proprietorship as a Communications Designer so I have a home office. As a refugee from the Northern Virginia area I moved to Charlottesville, VA where I've lived for 12 years. Now that kids are grown and on their own, I'm looking for a new place to live. Cville is absolutely terrific for many things, but for me it's time for a change. I don't need to commute, I don't need good schools. Here's what I'm looking for:
1 East Coast because family is here.
2 Not too cold or too much snow or grey days forever in winter.
3 Not too hot or humid.
4 A town or small city with a real sense of community (as opposed to a bedroom annex of a large city.)
5 A progressive, liberal place with an awareness of environmental responsibility and eco-consciousness.
6 Access to farmer's markets, organic food, farm-to-table and excellent natural food year-round. Where this kind of lifestyle is growing and is supported by locals who care about the land that supports them.
7 Great quality of life, maybe near lake, river, shore. Easy to get around town, lots of fun things to do, groups to do them with, great social life with educated people who are laid back - a vibrant place that is beautiful to live in.
8 Lots of (non-chain) shops, independent businesses, quality dining (fresh natural food well-prepared), music and cultural events, eclectic, vibrant (I know I've used that word twice), a place where people put their time and energy into making their town a better place to live and have a stake in its future.
9 Maybe a nearby college or university where you can audit classes that interest you, or attend lectures at an institute - keep the mind engaged.
10 As far as housing-I'd love to find a small lot to build an energy-efficient dwelling, gut a small cottage/handyman special, or find a place where someone has already done that, etc. Reasonable housing prices and cost of living in a beautiful area.

A lot to ask for, possibly, but I figured I'd throw my wish list out to the universe and see what comes back! Somebody out there might have some suggestions for me to check out.
Without a doubt, check out the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro area in NC. It nails all of your criteria and has a great quality of life in terms of your "must-haves". I think Carrboro in particular could be perfect for you.

An overview of Carrboro, NC

*** Oops, except I realize you said from DC to New England, but feel it's still very much worth your while to check out despite the geographic parameters you set originally.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Those NY locations are highly educated with the Ithaca metro ranking 2nd or 3rd out of all metro areas in educational attainment. Potsdam and Canton are two small communities about 5-10 miles apart and with 4 colleges/universities between them. Portions of eastern Upstate NY gets less snowfall and more sun than other parts of Upstate NY. I thought about suggesting Oneonta, Hamilton and Clinton as well, but #2 would/may be the only issue given that all 3 have a college presence(Oneonta has 2). Clinton in the Utica-Rome area and is the one community out of the 3 that is closest to a bigger city.

Brockport outside of Rochester and on the Erie Canal would fit most, if not all of the list except for #2. Village of Brockport, NY

Here is some info on Newark, which is home to the University of Delaware: Newark, DE - Official Website

http://www.enjoydowntownnewark.com

Old 06-09-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

This is a good guide that shows educational attainment by school district in Upstate NY: Database of adult brainpower rankings for Upstate New York - Buffalo - Buffalo Business First

Old 06-09-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Without a doubt, check out the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro area in NC. It nails all of your criteria and has a great quality of life in terms of your "must-haves". I think Carrboro in particular could be perfect for you.

An overview of Carrboro, NC

*** Oops, except I realize you said from DC to New England, but feel it's still very much worth your while to check out despite the geographic parameters you set originally.
I had never heard of Carrboro before. The heat is one of the reasons I am not anxious to move South. I have a friend in Winston-Salem and it's just too hot there.It's also getting pretty hot in Central VA these days. Also I'm not a fan of NC politics. I am aware of what a great place Chapel Hills is, however!

Old 06-10-2015, 01:54 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,803,577 times
In my opinion your criteria list points west! However, I realize your family is east so it's not an option. Can't think of anyplace in the east that doesn't get humid in the summers? Uperstate NY may meet some of the criteria, but winter....

Old 06-10-2015, 05:56 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
In my opinion your criteria list points west! However, I realize your family is east so it's not an option. Can't think of anyplace in the east that doesn't get humid in the summers? Upstate NY may meet some of the criteria, but winter....
Exactly. I would highly recommend considering the 8-10 weeks of extreme heat versus the 16-20 weeks of harsh winter and asking which ultimately seems more tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or