Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:02 PM

386 posts, read 986,061 times

Advertisements

The mid-atlantic is frequently described as an area of the east coast that blends cultural elements of the northeast and southeast. I am going to use the southern portion of the mid-atlantic region as defined by Wikipedia (Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia) since these are normally the most controversial areas. For each city, how much would you describe the current culture using a southern/northern gradient. For example, I view Washington, DC as 60% northern and 40% southern culturally.

Here is the city list:

Wilmington Delaware
Baltimore
Annapolis
Morgantown WV
Charleston WV
Washington DC
Charlottesville
Richmond
Virginia Beach/Norfolk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 01:10 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
The mid-atlantic is frequently described as an area of the east coast that blends cultural elements of the northeast and southeast. I am going to use the southern portion of the mid-atlantic region as defined by Wikipedia (Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia) since these are normally the most controversial areas. For each city, how much would you describe the current culture using a southern/northern gradient. For example, I view Washington, DC as 60% northern and 40% southern culturally.

Here is the city list:

Wilmington Delaware
Baltimore
Annapolis
Morgantown WV
Charleston WV
Washington DC
Charlottesville
Richmond
Virginia Beach/Norfolk
Baltimore, Annapolis, Morgantown, Washington and Wilmington are not Southern. The rest of the listed cities are.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:57 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,402 times
Nobody seems to have a solid definition of South or North, that is not somehow connected to Civil War era politics. So I honestly don't know.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:41 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
My pennies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I would say DE, MD, DC and VA are definitely the core of the region.

If we're going to use a very "tight" definition, then I'd go with NOVA/DC/Baltimore and Delaware. This is where the culture clash is most striking. You have old core cities with new suburbs. Ethnic Whites but a far lower share than what's found in the Northeast. Mid-Atlantic accents mashed up with Southern Tidewater accents. Half slave/half free. Voted for Southern Democrats but stayed with the Union. Largest AA population outside of the Deep South. Wealthier than basically everywhere in the South (and most places in the North) but "new money" like places in the South. Votes very different from most Southern states but has an undeniable Southern heritage. This is the area where you can't say definitively whether it's Southern or Northern.

My broader definition would range from Philadelphia to Richmond/Norfolk. You get the first glimpses of the South in the accents of the Delaware Valley and the first glimpses of the North in Richmond/Norfolk with the industrial character, architecture, and density. Historically, this region is also tied together in terms of their settlement (Germans moving south from PA and Tidewater settlers moving up the VA coast into DE, MD and South Jersey) as well as their historical political influence (VA and PA feuded over where the capital city would go and we see how that turned out). Unlike NOVA/MD/DE, however, we can say definitively that these places are Southern and Northern.

That seems nice and neat to me.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:07 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
A demographic change occurs once you reach New Castle County, DE. Whether this represents a cultural change, I don't know. I find it interesting nonetheless. The figure in parentheses is the % of the non-Hispanic White population.

South Jersey (Italian + Irish + Polish) - 31.7% (48.3%)
New Castle, DE (Italian + Irish + Polish) - 24.9% (41.3%)
Baltimore MSA (Italian + Irish + Polish) - 15.5% (26.5%)
Kent County, DE (Italian + Irish + Polish) - 16.7% (26.0%)
Sussex County, DE (Italian + Irish + Polish) - 18.7% (24.9%)
Montgomery County, MD (Italian + Irish + Polish) - 11.0% (23.3%)
Prince George's County, MD (Italian + Irish + Polish) - 3.9% (27.0%)
Norfolk, VA MSA (Italian + Irish + Polish) - 11.0% (17.9%)

In its most narrow sense, it seems the transition zone lies somewhere between Wilmington and Baltimore. That makes these two cities more "Mid Atlantic" than any others IMO.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:44 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times
Virginia and West Virginia are more so southern (although West VA is honestly Appalachia over anything). Maryland and Delaware, more so northern.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:17 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
They are all states along the border between the Southeast and Northeast with the exception of Virginia (definitely southern), so they all have traits of both regions. But honestly many cities have begun to have traits of more than one region in recent years due to media and an increased mobility across the country. You have to just draw a line somewhere and stick to it without considering every little case of "more northern" or "more southern". Regions are designated outside of cultural similarities, so that doesn't really matter. It's more about geography and history than anything.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Baltimore, Annapolis, Morgantown, Washington and Wilmington are not Southern. The rest of the listed cities are.
I agree with your point about the cities being northern and southern; however, to what degree? Myself, and many others do not believe a city such Washington DC or Annapolis fits completely in the northeast region, so how would you describe the culture?

Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
My pennies.
I agree with your overall assessment in reference to DC/Nova/Baltimore having the most striking clashes of southern and northern culture. Part of the reason I posted this topic is because I believe some people believe once you cross into another state the culture changes instantly from the previous area. For example, I think it would be illogical to assume Washington DC was 100% culturally northern, while Richmond was 100% culturally southern with the cities being one and a half hours apart. The two areas would naturally have some cultural overlap at some point.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Virginia and West Virginia are more so southern (although West VA is honestly Appalachia over anything). Maryland and Delaware, more so northern.
I agree with most of this; I doubt many people will disagree with your overall opinion. However, to what degree are the cities of Maryland northern compared to the cities of northern, central, and eastern Virginia. Would you consider Fredricksburg VA more northern or southern culturally, or how about Waldorf MD for example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.