U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which high speed rail do you think will happen first?
Philadelphia <-> New York 18 32.14%
Los Angeles <-> San Francisco 24 42.86%
Other 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:03 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Well I'm not from Texas. I'm just a reasonable man. And with all of the political/economic issues with the SE and California, I doubt they will finish anything.

By the way, a private industry wouldn't be in the talks about HSR in Texas unless it showed some promise. People should be cheering it on. Maybe if this succeeds there will be interest in other places as well.
It would probably just be the US version of high speed rail, if that. We kinda have that happening in FL. All Aboard Florida is a private venture (under FEC Railway) that will have segments of "high speed" and "higher speed" rail. They expect to be profitable because of development of their land holdings and because they already own most of the ROW, which is mostly operational. Otherwise, there's no way it would be profitable. It's quite debatable as it is, whether this private venture will work or not.

Oh, and they're facing tons of opposition from NIMBYs in FL...mostly without a leg to stand on but still it's making things difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 11:24 AM

6,513 posts, read 9,047,067 times
I'm not sure how much traction it has, but there is considerable talk between Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio of a HSR network.

The Vision | Midwest High Speed Rail Association

Old 02-12-2018, 05:58 AM

1,052 posts, read 585,740 times
Default High Speed Rail Corridors Phase 1

I thought it would be interesting to evaluate what we thought should be the Top 3 HSR corridors in the nation for a Phase 1 development measured on these criteria: Feasibility to be funded. Economic Impact. Ridership Utilization.

Followed by what our dream 'regional' HSR would be.

Top 3
NEC (DC - BOS)
Californian (San Diego - San Fran)
The Great Lakes ( Milwaukee - Chicago - Detroit)

Regional
Pennsylvanian (Pittsburgh - NYC) via. Harrisburg and Philadelphia

Last edited by rowhomecity; 02-12-2018 at 07:28 AM..

Old 02-12-2018, 06:09 AM

611 posts, read 435,238 times
Top three in terms of what? feasibility? Proximity to the poster? Potential ridership? How are you determining the top?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:26 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,350,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I thought it would be interesting to evaluate what we thought should be the Top 3 HSR corridors in the nation for a Phase 1 development measured on these criteria: Feasibility to be funded. Economic Impact. Ridership Utilization.

Followed by what our dream 'regional' HSR would be.

Top 3
NEC (DC - BOS)
Californian (San Diego - San Fran)
The Great Lakes ( Milwaukee - Chicago - Detroit)

Local
Pennsylvanian (Pittsburgh - NYC) via. Harrisburg and Philadelphia
Well, the Great Lakes line will hopefully be able to connect in Detroit/Windsor, to the HSR line currently being planned for Windsor to Toronto!

Old 02-12-2018, 09:11 AM

846 posts, read 1,635,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Well, the Great Lakes line will hopefully be able to connect in Detroit/Windsor, to the HSR line currently being planned for Windsor to Toronto!
Then in that screnario I think it'd make sense to connect through Southern Ontario just like the old Niagara Rainbow Amtrak train did. Chicago-Detroit-Toronto would be one line, then another could be Detroit-Buffalo-NYC.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,473,848 times
You mean real HSR, or what Amtrak considers HSR?

What Amtrak considers HSR is already in place Boston --> DC. The Chicago --> StL corridor is nearly complete. But both of these projects are just "kind of" fast trains by American standards.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 AM

1,052 posts, read 585,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
You mean real HSR, or what Amtrak considers HSR?

What Amtrak considers HSR is already in place Boston --> DC. The Chicago --> StL corridor is nearly complete. But both of these projects are just "kind of" fast trains by American standards.

REAL HSR.

I live on the NEC and use Amtrak often. I am referring to PHL - > NYC in 34 mins.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:52 AM

890 posts, read 1,078,796 times
Yeah, Chicago-St. Louis has long been designated the top corridor for high-speed in the Midwest.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 AM

499 posts, read 540,211 times
Surprised throughout this whole thread no one has mentioned the MagLev Between Baltimore and D.C. It already has two alignments selected after a Federal Study.

Construction on MAGLEV could begin in 2 years in Maryland

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.be508171212f
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or