Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which high speed rail do you think will happen first?
Philadelphia <-> New York 18 32.14%
Los Angeles <-> San Francisco 24 42.86%
Other 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:14 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't see a point in high speed rail between NYC and Philly. The distance is so short and NJ is so dense in much (if not all) of that particular corridor that I don't see how it would be safe/allowed.

A connection between SF and LA makes so much more sense to me.
Couldn't disagree more. HSR from NYC to Philly makes all the sense in the world. It's an embarrassment that travel between those two cities cannot be accomplished in under an hour today. The NEC through NJ is entirely grade separated from roads and it's pretty straight. It's a HSR dream. Just need a good tunnel to NYC and a better routing through North Philly, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Couldn't disagree more. HSR from NYC to Philly makes all the sense in the world. It's an embarrassment that travel between those two cities cannot be accomplished in under an hour today. The NEC through NJ is entirely grade separated from roads and it's pretty straight. It's a HSR dream. Just need a good tunnel to NYC and a better routing through North Philly, IMO.
So the tracks are all elevated? All on overpasses? Would they need to build an additional tunnel? Not for nothing, but not all Northern NJ NJT lines go straight to NY Penn yet. I'd want that to happen before the Philly to NY HSR kicks off. We need more tunnels either way, but NJT and NJ commuters should take precedence IMO. The fact that the RVL, especially, isn't direct all the time is disgusting, IMO.

How safe is HSR? What are the chances of derailments/crashes? Many homes, and businesses, in NJ back directly to train tracks, so is HSR safer or more dangerous than regular trains? I hope this HSR line wouldn't be sharing tracks with slower, normal trains. That could cause many types of problems - trains sharing tracks already does.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
So the tracks are all elevated? All on overpasses? Would they need to build an additional tunnel? Not for nothing, but not all Northern NJ NJT lines go straight to NY Penn yet. I'd want that to happen before the Philly to NY HSR kicks off. We need more tunnels either way, but NJT and NJ commuters should take precedence IMO. The fact that the RVL, especially, isn't direct all the time is disgusting, IMO.

How safe is HSR? What are the chances of derailments/crashes? Many homes, and businesses, in NJ back directly to train tracks, so is HSR safer or more dangerous than regular trains? I hope this HSR line wouldn't be sharing tracks with slower, normal trains. That could cause many types of problems - trains sharing tracks already does.
There are no at-grade road crossings. A new tunnel may not be necessary (other than the new tunnel that is already NEEDED) to support Amtrak and NJT traffic already. But it would be nice to have a dedicated tunnel for sure. Derailments tend to happen where there are curves and switches on the track. Being straight, as I mentioned above, is a huge plus for that reason as well as for being able to maintain speed. Outside the North River tunnels and part of Philly, the NEC line can handle more traffic and safely on its 4 tracks with PTC cab signaling (just my amateur opinion, a study would have to be done of course). IMO, HSR would do much more for the economy of the region than giving a one-seat ride to RVL commuters (sorry bout it).

Old 06-11-2015, 08:50 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
I wouldn't get my hopes up of anything happening concerning high speed (i.e 300 kmph or greater speed) rail transit in America . This is the United States of America , not Peoples China, the Russian Federation, Japan, Germany or even France. In these nations things get done even if it costs hundreds of billions of dollars. Americans are lazy, don't want to pay the taxes to get this done and worse they even expect it to appear like magic out of thin air.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:46 AM

783 posts, read 695,026 times
My guess, Dallas to Houston in Texas. Why? Politics in the NE and Cali will hold them up. Since the Texas train is supposed to be mostly a private venture, it will probably get lift first.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
L.A.-S.F. has way more momentum, but isn't that a 15 year project? NYC-Philly already has existing infrastructure that could be reasonably upgraded and/or utilized more quickly. Problem is, what's the pushback going to be now following the recent crash in Philly? That might be the nail in the coffin for the foreseeable future--or it could be the impetus for true HSR, under the guise of safety.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:10 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Private industry isn’t interesting in the project because they can’t make money running it, and the government (elected representatives) wont fund any project unless a lobbyist pays them off first. There are many positive reasons for having the high-speed rail lines but it can’t happen at this time in history as much as I’d love to see them in the US. We can put a man on the moon but we can’t build a few hundred miles of rail………….. “stupid”!

Old 06-13-2015, 11:18 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
My guess, Dallas to Houston in Texas. Why? Politics in the NE and Cali will hold them up. Since the Texas train is supposed to be mostly a private venture, it will probably get lift first.
I love that positive Texas attitude. I've ridden on several of the top 10 fastest....great way to travel!

Old 06-13-2015, 02:06 PM

783 posts, read 695,026 times
Well I'm not from Texas. I'm just a reasonable man. And with all of the political/economic issues with the SE and California, I doubt they will finish anything.

By the way, a private industry wouldn't be in the talks about HSR in Texas unless it showed some promise. People should be cheering it on. Maybe if this succeeds there will be interest in other places as well.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
I know there was talk a while back of HSR from either Columbus or Cleveland to Chicago but I haven't heard much about it lately. I know most of the mayors of the proposed towns along the route in Indiana and Ohio supported it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.