U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:16 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,175,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Good grief. Some of you clearly did not read the first post where the OP said specifically that she "would love to stay within an eight to ten hour drive of East Lansing, MI."
I did NOT see that part. My blunder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 06:20 AM

56,840 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It is tough to get good mountains within 8 to 10 hours of Lansing Michigan. The East Tennessee and Western NC mountains are on the fringe of that 10 hour limit, and they are some of the largest in the Appalachians. The mountains in PA are smaller but closer to Michigan. Vermont and New Hampshire also come to mind but again these states are likely too far away for the OP. The OP may need to be willing to drive a bit further and then find what they are looking for. TN, NC, VA, or NH or VT up north would give them all the green mountains they can handle.
You can get from Syracuse to East Lansing in about 7 hours going through Ontario. So, southern Vermont is close to the 10 limit. Mountains like the Poconos in PA, the Adirondacks and Catskills of NY and the Berkshires of MA are within or close to the 8-10 hour limit.

I'll throw out Old Forge NY as a small mountain community within the time limit. Old Forge New York in the Adirondacks | McCauley Mountain Ski | Water Park | Cruises | Lodging | Museums | Hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, boating, snowmobiling

http://goo.gl/maps/5dU1Z

Old Forge is about an hour and a half from Syracuse and about 45 minutes from Utica.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-13-2015 at 06:29 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 07:09 AM

5,095 posts, read 6,873,379 times
I would add West Virginia, with no doubt some of the most rugged but green landscapes in the US. Germany Valley comes to mind, as it has the rock features to go along with the steep (but green) mountains.

The High Peaks of the Adirondacks as well as the Green Mountains also remind me of the Alps.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:20 PM

6,531 posts, read 7,487,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can get from Syracuse to East Lansing in about 7 hours going through Ontario. So, southern Vermont is close to the 10 limit. Mountains like the Poconos in PA, the Adirondacks and Catskills of NY and the Berkshires of MA are within or close to the 8-10 hour limit.

I'll throw out Old Forge NY as a small mountain community within the time limit. Old Forge New York in the Adirondacks | McCauley Mountain Ski | Water Park | Cruises | Lodging | Museums | Hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, boating, snowmobiling

http://goo.gl/maps/5dU1Z

Old Forge is about an hour and a half from Syracuse and about 45 minutes from Utica.

If the OP were willing to drive 11 or 12 hours then all the mountains of the Appalachian chain come into range. PA and WV likely are the only places that satisfy the distance requirement but driving just another hour or two makes a huge difference.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:32 PM

9,455 posts, read 18,381,877 times
Quote:
Good grief. Some of you clearly did not read the first post where the OP said specifically that she "would love to stay within an eight to ten hour drive of East Lansing, MI."
Well in which case we have a thread title that says "Alps" of the US" compelling thoughts of instantly visualize rugged peaks in the Alps and then moving over to the US from the Cascades in WA or Glacier Park in MT, several parts of CO as fairly comparable. Then we open the thread with the thread title in mind "Alps of the US" and we see a restriction of within 8-10 hours of Lansing. Now we have a contradiction. The Appalachians don't look like the Alps.

Green Mountains was in the thread title, should have left it at that. Alps, not so much. At least within the confines of an 8-10 hour drive of Lansing.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:48 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,129,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Well in which case we have a thread title that says "Alps" of the US" compelling thoughts of instantly visualize rugged peaks in the Alps and then moving over to the US from the Cascades in WA or Glacier Park in MT, several parts of CO as fairly comparable. Then we open the thread with the thread title in mind "Alps of the US" and we see a restriction of within 8-10 hours of Lansing. Now we have a contradiction. The Appalachians don't look like the Alps.

Green Mountains was in the thread title, should have left it at that. Alps, not so much. At least within the confines of an 8-10 hour drive of Lansing.
I was thinking the same thing. When I saw green, I envisioned the East, but when I saw Alps, I envisioned the West.

OP, which do you want more of? Really green mountains or mountains that truly resemble the Alps?

Old 06-13-2015, 10:41 PM

6,531 posts, read 7,487,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. When I saw green, I envisioned the East, but when I saw Alps, I envisioned the West.

OP, which do you want more of? Really green mountains or mountains that truly resemble the Alps?
Having been to the Alps I would agree with you, the Alps look more like the Rockies or Cascades/Sierra Nevada. (although they are not quite the same as those either)

Old 06-13-2015, 11:17 PM

56,840 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If the OP were willing to drive 11 or 12 hours then all the mountains of the Appalachian chain come into range. PA and WV likely are the only places that satisfy the distance requirement but driving just another hour or two makes a huge difference.
Albany, which is about an hour from Vermont, is only 2 hours from Syracuse. So, a community in SE Vermont/western Massachusetts(Green Mountains/Berkshires) would just make it about 10 hours from East Lansing. It is even less for the Adirondacks, Catskills and Poconos.

Actually, a community like Bennington VT is just within the 10 hour limit: Bennington.com

Old 06-15-2015, 11:17 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,178,725 times
Quote:
And others posted information that isn't factual. Are we to remain quiet and let wrong information continue?

MSR

Old 06-15-2015, 11:46 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,080,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
The Cascades have seriously only been mentioned once? They're the epitome of green mountains in the US.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/279078.jpg
I agree, though the 8-10 hour drive from MI requirement nullifies anything in the west. But maybe it's best that the Cascades remain somewhat of a secret.... Anyway, is your pic from the Cascade River Road? That scene looks very similar to the view near the Cascade Pass Trailhead (went there last week)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.