U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,930,189 times

Advertisements

You don't have that many choices with that criteria. Only LA and SF would match it and even they don't have great transit but they do have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 07:44 PM

328 posts, read 254,615 times
No way I'm headed to LA (or anywhere) without a job in hand. I know that I won't be able to access those things on a regular basis anyway, but to have them there if I want to rent a car and go on a quick 1-2 day trip would be ideal for me.

Thanks again for the comments.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:19 PM

56,308 posts, read 54,748,439 times
New Jersey, except for "temperate climate".

Old 06-13-2015, 09:41 PM

18,138 posts, read 23,065,856 times
Any city on the west coast should work.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:31 AM

3,757 posts, read 3,865,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
New Jersey, except for "temperate climate".
Pretty sure all of NJ is in a temperate climate zone... I think some people here are misusing the term.

NYC also fits OPs criteria on all points with everything accessible without a car.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,476 times
New York City hits all those criteria. I'm not sure what you mean by temperate climate, but since you're looking for snow as well, NYC gets that. It's the biggest city in the nation in terms of population, as well as having one of the largest public transit systems in the world. You can take the subway directly to some beaches within the city, such as Coney Island beach, Brighton Beach, and Rockaway Beach; a combination of subway and bus will get you to other beaches like Orchard Beach and Fort Tilden Beach; and you can take the Long Island Railroad to more beaches along the Long Island coast, and New Jersey Transit to beaches on the Jersey Shore. You can reach Hudson Valley hiking trails within an hour's train ride on the Metro-North, and you can reach the Poconos, the Adirondacks, and the Berkshires within a few hours drive. And New York is one of the most diverse cities in the world, where almost 40% of the city is foreign-born, and where 800 languages are spoken according to some researchers.

In any case, it seems like you're leaning towards LA, and for someone going into transit and public planning, I should think it's an exciting time to be there. Best of luck with your decision!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:08 AM

20 posts, read 19,596 times
I live in New York City, and it definitely has everything you are looking for. You can get to nice beaches on the subway and on the LIRR (Long Island Railroad), so no need for a car at all. And if you're looking for diversity, well -- look no further. Any type of culture or cuisine is represented here. The only downside to living in NY, from my perspective, is the expense. On the other hand, you get what you pay for, and if world-class everything is what you want, you will find it here.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM

11,036 posts, read 10,228,067 times
I live in NJ. 35 minute drive to NYC (off peak hours), 1.5 hours to Philadelphia, an hour to the Jersey Shore, 2.5 to The Hamptons, 3 hours to southern Vermont. My family spends our summers on the beach, and winters on the slopes. Vermont has good skiing and we spend many weekends there, but nothing beats West Coast skiing. We usually take a week every year in CO.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 PM

4,275 posts, read 6,365,356 times
Any you're not considering NYC for some peculiar reason?

Big city, YEP
transit, YEP
access to beach, YEP (beaches in Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Isalnd, and about 60 mins to Jersey Shore or Jones Beach in Long Island)
diversity YEP
snow YEP (see last two winters)
temperate climate YEP (daily avg temp 32 in Jan to 76 in Aug -- which is borderline temperate, but pretty close)
mountains does Washington Heights count?

Six out of seven of your criteria are met here in NYC.

And all seven if you want to consider the four hour drive into the Adirondacks where its cold and mountainous enough for top-notch skiing. (That's where the Olympics were held, in Lake Placid. IDK if that's a longer drive from NYC than the drive between ski areas closest to LA or San Diego)

Last edited by citylove101; 07-14-2015 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or