Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM

332 posts, read 344,244 times

Advertisements

Through my limited research, this can only be Los Angeles and San Diego right?

LA's transit isn't that good, but it's getting a lot better and that's the field I am getting into (with urban planning). San Diego is more laid back and less spread out than LA is, but seems to hit on most of those as well.

My other choices were Chicago and Philadelphia who hit 75% of those (and some better than others), but fail on the hills and the mountain requests. Any cities I'm overlooking?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:39 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Boston, minus the weather part. Hits on all the others really well.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:29 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
I would think Seattle and Portland could work for you. I'm sure you realize that you're not going to get snow in Los Angeles or San Diego. Heck, if you're willing to ditch the snow, you could consider Honolulu and San Francisco as well. Alternately, if you'd like to really embrace the snow (and you don't mind that your "beach" is way too cold to ever swim at), Anchorage could work.

How close to the mountains or beaches do you want to be? I'm kind of thinking the East Coast will not work for you. Washington, Baltimore, and Philadelphia are all a couple of hours from the beach and about the same distance to any appreciable mountains; so I would think those are out. New York has beaches, but the mountains are a couple of hours away. My memory has it that the same is true for Boston, but it's been awhile since I've been there, so I'm not sure. None of the major cities in the South will work; they're either near a beach but far from mountains, or near mountains but far from beaches, or not close to either. And you'll get little to no snow.

Denver and Salt Lake City give you mountains and snow (and growing transit systems), but no beach. And Phoenix is way too hot. I don't think the Intermountain West will work for you either.

Yeah, I think the West Coast is your best bet. Don't overlook Los Angeles; despite their car-centric reputation, they have an extensive transit system, and maybe you could be a part of making it even bigger and better.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:32 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
this can only be Los Angeles and San Diego right?
Yeah

Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
LA's transit is fine. And that's really your only option here.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:37 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Reading your criteria I immediately thought only LA would work. LA is weak in transit, but it's getting better all the time.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:54 PM

332 posts, read 344,244 times
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm zeroing in on LA, but I was just thinking I may have been missing a city or two.

I'm originally from Wisconsin, so the snow would be a thing where I could access some winter or some cold and skiing and I heard California and Utah have that.

busman,

And the beach is more aesthetic because I love the water. Not a big swimmer anyway, but the calm and sounds of the ocean are very relaxing to visit from time to time.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:04 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm zeroing in on LA, but I was just thinking I may have been missing a city or two.

I'm originally from Wisconsin, so the snow would be a thing where I could access some winter or some cold and skiing and I heard California and Utah have that.

busman,

And the beach is more aesthetic because I love the water. Not a big swimmer anyway, but the calm and sounds of the ocean are very relaxing to visit from time to time.
I hope you are actually looking into LA as a city and also check out your job prospects, and aren't moving there just because you want access to all of these things.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:08 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Maybe DC as well, minus the temperate climate.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 PM

43 posts, read 53,143 times
Quote:

Yep! Skiing/snowboarding are big here. Almost everyone I know heads to either Mammoth or Big Bear during the snow season. Lots go to Oregon and Colorado as well, since schools here get a designated "ski week".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.