U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:09 AM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
As I travel around the world, and also the USA when I come home, I realize that Florida really is so unique compared to anywhere else in the lower 48. As we all know, every place on Earth has its positive and negative attributes. However, lets say I am visiting southern Virginia, and then another trip to Oregon or Maine.....nothing compares to Florida. Especially along the coasts, which we technically have 3 coasts.

I just wonder how amazed others are when they pop down to Florida, find themselves somewhere along the aqua blue coast, with a palm tree waving, and the sun setting. I don't love the populated towns, so much like Ft Laud, but talking more about more isolated areas.
My advice is to keep travelling.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:15 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Actually you can build basements in Florida since I have been to a house that has one! It smelled like a death chamber!
The Port of Miami tunnel was built 130 feet under water for a 1 mile tunnel.
I didn't say there were none, I only commented on the feasibility of hoping for positive results when excavating one.

The world is full of tunnels under the water table, but they present an engineering problem with additional challenges, which a residential architect would probably try to talk a client out of -- or happily bill for a commensurate fee..

Old 06-13-2015, 12:26 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,543,501 times
I lived in Florida for a while so my hate of it is justified. I try to be fair and say it does have great wildlife in the places that havent been paved over with pawnshops, malls and used car lots. The wildlife is fabulous. But, the same can be said about the coast of Oregon, Michigan or Maine. In short, the USA has a lot of very great, "unique" areas. Everyone has their idea of "unique", so it is really all in the eye/heart of the beholder

Old 06-13-2015, 01:48 PM

9,433 posts, read 18,339,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
As I travel around the world, and also the USA when I come home, I realize that Florida really is so unique compared to anywhere else in the lower 48. As we all know, every place on Earth has its positive and negative attributes. However, lets say I am visiting southern Virginia, and then another trip to Oregon or Maine.....nothing compares to Florida. Especially along the coasts, which we technically have 3 coasts.

I just wonder how amazed others are when they pop down to Florida, find themselves somewhere along the aqua blue coast, with a palm tree waving, and the sun setting. I don't love the populated towns, so much like Ft Laud, but talking more about more isolated areas.
Meh... Florida is different to me, but it doesn't strike me as unique per se. The beaches are unquestionably beautiful and exceptional, but away from the beach most of the state strikes me as very ordinary with non descript flat terrain, lots of cookie cutter development, and chain restaurants. In terms of food, it's not really unique at all, in fact rather disappointing. With Miami and St. Augustine being the outliers, most cities in Florida don't really strike me as unique at all.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:11 PM

4,347 posts, read 7,427,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Meh... Florida is different to me, but it doesn't strike me as unique per se. The beaches are unquestionably beautiful and exceptional, but away from the beach most of the state strikes me as very ordinary with non descript flat terrain, lots of cookie cutter development, and chain restaurants. In terms of food, it's not really unique at all, in fact rather disappointing. With Miami and St. Augustine being the outliers, most cities in Florida don't really strike me as unique at all.
That's why I said that coastal Florida is lovely. Central Florida, to me, is nothing special at all, just flat, scrubby terrain with lots of sprawl, especially around Orlando. Orlando is the only city where our GPS literally took us out of our way to avoid rush hour traffic, because circumventing the entire city was still faster than traversing it on I-4. It was horrific.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:08 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
That's why I said that coastal Florida is lovely. Central Florida, to me, is nothing special at all, just flat, scrubby terrain with lots of sprawl, especially around Orlando. Orlando is the only city where our GPS literally took us out of our way to avoid rush hour traffic, because circumventing the entire city was still faster than traversing it on I-4. It was horrific.
Ocala, FL:

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....xander-springs

You call that scrubby?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:35 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,430,914 times
Not really unique. Flat, suburban sprawl, and a whole lot of weird people.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:11 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,523,590 times
It's way too hot.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:51 AM

1,743 posts, read 959,729 times
Unique is a nice way of putting it!

Old 06-14-2015, 02:33 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,468,006 times
Not to detract from the OPs pride in their state, but I think Louisiana is the most unique of all the lower 48. Its swamp and bayou country is nothing like anything else in the US. Not only is a geographically unique, its people are definitely unique. New Orleans is nothing like any other city in the nation. There are many places that are beautiful and unique in the USA, but as a whole Louisiana does seem to me to be more different from the rest of the nation than any other state in the lower 48.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or