U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:03 AM

357 posts, read 1,698,809 times

Advertisements

As I travel around the world, and also the USA when I come home, I realize that Florida really is so unique compared to anywhere else in the lower 48. As we all know, every place on Earth has its positive and negative attributes. However, lets say I am visiting southern Virginia, and then another trip to Oregon or Maine.....nothing compares to Florida. Especially along the coasts, which we technically have 3 coasts.

I just wonder how amazed others are when they pop down to Florida, find themselves somewhere along the aqua blue coast, with a palm tree waving, and the sun setting. I don't love the populated towns, so much like Ft Laud, but talking more about more isolated areas.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:37 AM

1,573 posts, read 1,428,181 times
Hawaii and Texas can claim the most unique as well. Alaska too.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:39 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,418,374 times
Not really any more amazed than when I am at the Great Smoky Mountains, the shores of the Great Lakes, the Grand Canyon, the California coast, or the Rocky Mountains, but coastal Florida is lovely, and it's great that you have so much pride in your home state, that's what it's all about.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:43 AM

4,409 posts, read 1,639,451 times
Crocodiles in your back yard - there is a reason why they don't let you construct a basement in your house, otherwise you would have croc farms everywhere in FL

Old 06-13-2015, 08:47 AM

87 posts, read 222,200 times
We really are so lucky in that no matter what type of topography you're in the mood for, we most likely have it in America. I lived in Florida for a year and loved it...

Old 06-13-2015, 09:00 AM

357 posts, read 1,698,809 times
oh and I said, Lower 48 for a reason to not include Hawaii. )

Old 06-13-2015, 09:32 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
which we technically have 3 coasts.
No you don't, you just have 1 coast.
Alaska has 2 coasts.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:45 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Unique is Unique. It doesn't come in shades of intensity. If there is only one of its kind, it is unique. If there are others, it's not unique.

If you mean that Florida leads the nation in characteristics it holds uniquely, you have to justify the weighted value of those characteristics, against features that Florida shares with other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Crocodiles in your back yard - there is a reason why they don't let you construct a basement in your house, otherwise you would have croc farms everywhere in FL
Crocodiles are extremely rare and endangered in Florida and a visitor is very unlikely to see one unless going to look for them in a few tiny habitats. There are about 1,400 crocodiles in Florida. But there are lots of alligators.

It is perfectly legal to build a basement in Florida, but no fool would do it, because in most of Florida, the water table is only 3-5 feet below ground, and it would immediately fill in with water. How would crocs get in there -- seep in through the walls? Crocs and gators can't stay in water forever, they need to come out onto dry land, so all you need to do is put a gate on the basement stairs. Then you could swim safely in your under-house pool, which is what a basement would be.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-13-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 09:58 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,428,298 times
Well, it's the flattest State, so I suppose that's unique. But is that a bragging point?

Old 06-13-2015, 10:52 AM

5,885 posts, read 2,734,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Unique is Unique. It doesn't come in shades of intensity. If there is only one of its kind, it is unique. If there are others, it's not unique.

If you mean that Florida leads the nation in characteristics it holds uniquely, you have to justify the weighted value of those characteristics, against features that Florida shares with other states.

Crocodiles are extremely rare and endangered in Florida and a visitor is very unlikely to see one unless going to look for them in a few tiny habitats. There are about 1,400 crocodiles in Florida. But there are lots of alligators.

It is perfectly legal to build a basement in Florida, but no fool would do it, because in most of Florida, the water table is only 3-5 feet below ground, and it would immediately fill in with water. How would crocs get in there -- seep in through the walls? Crocs and gators can't stay in water forever, they need to come out onto dry land, so all you need to do is put a gate on the basement stairs. Then you could swim safely in your under-house pool, which is what a basement would be.
Actually you can build basements in Florida since I have been to a house that has one! It smelled like a death chamber!
The Port of Miami tunnel was built 130 feet under water for a 1 mile tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or