U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 PM

36 posts, read 42,769 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a city anywhere in the US with most of these qualities:
(ranking from most important to least important)

- overall somewhat good economy, jobs (that takes out Detroit)
- good natural scenery in or around the city or not too far away (beaches, mountains, deserts, hills,woods...)
- warm or hot climate for big part of the year at least, less rainy
- not the most expensive city, with rent or home prices at least somewhat affordable in the suburbs
- things to do, entertainment, some walkable areas
- moderate or higher diversity with sizable white population (that takes out El Paso)
- some suburbs or middle class neighborhoods with better schools that have large white population
- prefer more historic architecture, not a lot of modern, new apartment buildings especially high rise condos
- a city with a lot of culture, stuff going on, downtown with skyscrapers, having big city feel as well as country feel in the suburbs or rural areas near the city

What is not a problem:
- too hot, humid, dry climate
- bad traffic or bad public transport
- big sprawl, long commute
- not too clean, trash on the side of the road..
- neighborhoods with gangs, crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 05:34 AM

21,237 posts, read 30,495,025 times
Some tough criteria when placed together, but in my opinion Richmond VA would be the best match.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:28 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,487,861 times
"Somewhat affordable" = too vague. Name your price for ending or buying, and for what size place you want.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:55 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,849,559 times
I'd check SC, NC or VA. Pretty much any medium/large city there should be a good match.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:03 PM

6,325 posts, read 7,003,601 times
Nashville comes to mind for sure

Old 06-15-2015, 01:30 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,603,707 times
Hartford, CT

Old 06-15-2015, 05:26 PM

795 posts, read 1,058,724 times
It depends on what you do for a living whether or not Detroit or the Metro area would have jobs in your field.

However, w/Detroit off your list, I'd look at Grand Rapids on the West side of the state.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:34 PM

5,314 posts, read 6,335,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george777M View Post
I am looking for a city anywhere in the US with most of these qualities:
(ranking from most important to least important)

- overall somewhat good economy, jobs (that takes out Detroit)
- good natural scenery in or around the city or not too far away (beaches, mountains, deserts, hills,woods...)
- warm or hot climate for big part of the year at least, less rainy
- not the most expensive city, with rent or home prices at least somewhat affordable in the suburbs
- things to do, entertainment, some walkable areas
- moderate or higher diversity with sizable white population (that takes out El Paso)
- some suburbs or middle class neighborhoods with better schools that have large white population
- prefer more historic architecture, not a lot of modern, new apartment buildings especially high rise condos
- a city with a lot of culture, stuff going on, downtown with skyscrapers, having big city feel as well as country feel in the suburbs or rural areas near the city

What is not a problem:
- too hot, humid, dry climate
- bad traffic or bad public transport
- big sprawl, long commute
- not too clean, trash on the side of the road..
- neighborhoods with gangs, crime
I live in Henderson, NV, which borders Las Vegas, and find much of this. To address your bullet points:

1. Economy is fair, but rebounding. If you are in the hospitality field, it's very good. Pay is relatively low to start in many fields, though.
2. Desert, 12,000' mountains, and a huge variety of national parks are here. Lake Mead, the Grand Canyon, Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon, etc. The beach is 4 hours away.
3. One of the hottest cities in the US. We had 22 days in a row in June of 105+. We get about 3" of rain a year.
4. I live in the suburbs. Henderson is more expensive than Las Vegas, but it has incredibly low crime, and is consistently rated in the top 5 safest cities in the US. My 2200sqft house costs $1500/mo to rent. Apartments are in the $800-$1000 range.
5. While my neighborhood is 96% white, there is diversity all around.
6. Look in the Green Valley section of Henderson, and we have very nice schools. Overall, Nevada is at the bottom of the country for education, but there are good schools if you look for them.
7. We do not have historical architecture here. We are a new city (Henderson dates to the 1970s, Las Vegas, for the most part, 1930s).
8. If you can't be entertained in the Las Vegas valley, there's a problem

Your "not a problem"s:
1. EXTREMELY hot and arid from May-Sept. The hottest temperature recorded at my house was 2 summers ago when it hit 122.. It can get as low as the 30s in January, but normally 50s-60s. Fall and Spring are 80s-90s with single digit humidity. Currently, at 2:30p at my house it is 100 degrees and 12% humidity.
2. Traffic only backs up in a couple places daily. Drivers are pretty awful here, as many are tourists who have no idea where they are, where they are going, and are distracted by the bright lights. All of our roads are 3-4 lanes wide (each way), and meticulously maintained. I would avoid public transportation, as it's spotty and just too damned hot waiting for the next bus.
3. The entire Las Vegas Valley (which includes Henderson, Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, and unincorporated Clark County) is approx. an hour's drive from end to end. Many people work in hospitality on the strip, and there are no places that are more than half an hour from there.
4. The valley can get windy so there are plastic bags, etc that you will find flying around from time to time, but overall, a very clean valley.
5. There are 2 million people who live here, plus 41 million tourists per year. There are gangs and bad neighborhoods, primarily in Las Vegas, not so much in Henderson. You'll know where to go and where not to go.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or