U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many of these questions do you think you can answer about Puerto Rico, with a fair amount of cer
I think I'd be right about all of them 2 14.29%
5-6 right 2 14.29%
3-4 right 3 21.43%
1-2 right 3 21.43%
I don't think I know the answers to any of them. 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 05:30 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,649,120 times

Advertisements

This poll is to see how knowledgeable Americans think they are about Puerto Rico, which has been a part of the USA during the entgire lifetime of every living Puerto Rican. How many of the following questions would you say you can answer with a fair amount of informed certainty:

1. Are schools in Puerto Rico taught in English or Spanish?

2. Is the cost of living in Puerto Rico higher or lower then Hawaii, or about the ame?

3. If Puerto Rico attained statehood, about how many congressmen would their population entitle them to?

4. Does local politics in Puerto Rico align itself with the Repiblican and Democratic Parties?

5. What proportion of Puerto Rico's population considers itself descended from the pre-Columbian indigenous population of the Caribbean?

6. Are there more people in Puerto Rico in favor or statehood, sovereign independence, or the territorial satus quo?

7. Are Puerto Ricans free to move to the 50 states and become state residents at will, the same as Americans moving stae-to-state, and if they do so, can they vote immediately in federal elections?

Please answer the poll, and then feel free to discuss any of these questions below. (Yes,, I know there is a PR subforum, but this poll is directed at people who do NOT have an association with Puerto Rico.) (The last word in the poll question is "certainty" I was not warned that the intelligent and comprehensive questions have to be shorter than a Tweet, and once entered, it can't be changed.)

Last edited by jtur88; 06-14-2015 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 06:05 PM

6,037 posts, read 6,436,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This poll is to see how knowledgeable Americans think they are about Puerto Rico, which has been a part of the USA during the entgire lifetime of every living Puerto Rican. How many of the following questions would you say you can answer with a fair amount of informed certainty:

1. Are schools in Puerto Rico taught in English or Spanish?

2. Is the cost of living in Puerto Rico higher or lower then Hawaii, or about the ame?

3. If Puerto Rico attained statehood, about how many congressmen would their population entitle them to?

4. Does local politics in Puerto Rico align itself with the Repiblican and Democratic Parties?

5. What proportion of Puerto Rico's population considers itself descended from the pre-Columbian indigenous population of the Caribbean?

6. Are there more people in Puerto Rico in favor or statehood, sovereign independence, or the territorial satus quo?

7. Are Puerto Ricans free to move to the 50 states and become state residents at will, the same as Americans moving stae-to-state, and if they do so, can they vote immediately in federal elections?

Please answer the poll, and then feel free to discuss any of these questions below. (Yes,, I know there is a PR subforum, but this poll is directed at people who do NOT have an association with Puerto Rico.) (The last word in the poll question is "certainty" I was not warned that the intelligent and comprehensive questions have to be shorter than a Tweet, and once entered, it can't be changed.)
I'll take a stab at it.

1. Guessing Spanish. Spanish seemed to be the default language when I visited.

2. I think it's quite a bit lower than HI. HI has some of the highest COL areas in the country and much further detached from the mainland so I would be quite surprised if PR was pricier.

3. Well about two senators :P. Not sure about reps.

4. I'm guessing politics is probably a much different dynamic than the US so short answer no.

5. Vast majority. Probably in the 80-90th percentile at least.

6. Would say majority is for status quo though I think a significant contingent favors statehood. Lesser numbers favoring sovereignty.

7. Yes. Puerto Ricans are U.S. Citizens and have all the rights privileges and responsibilities of citizenship.

Guessing at least 4 correct, maybe 5?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:49 PM

893 posts, read 1,105,164 times
My guesses:
1: both, depending on the district
2: about the same
3: two senators, 5 or 6 representatives depending on who's in power and how they deal with the fractional seat
4: no
5: 10-15%
6: used to be an even split, now towards statehood
7: yes for both
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or