Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:28 AM

129 posts, read 150,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Maybe try the Miami area and the rest of south Florida. But I'm thinking even there may be too expensive for your price point.

Other options are Hampton Roads, Wilmington, Charleston and Savannah - Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. But I'm not sure whether you'd consider those to be major cities. None of them are as large as Phoenix.
Honestly, Phoenix "city downtown" is not much more than 5 blocks of high rises, a baseball and basketball stadium and a couple Starbucks. Everything else is outside of the city center. You have to drive 30 minutes anywhere you go. Phoenix may be considered a large city because it spans more than 40+ miles in one direction, though most of it is suburbia.

I say to be close to a major city, since my DH works with Coca Cola, so we would try to get a transfer.

I want to raise my girls (3 yrs and 6mos) how we were raised. Lots of activities to do, history, culture and green backyards to play in. We would have to be no more than an hour from the ocean, otherwise I would just stay here in the brown desert and drive to Mexico or San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer71 View Post
Ok, keeping your monthly nut around that level might be tough even in Philly burbs. Lehigh Valley? I'm not an expert on taxes in the area, but I hear great things about coastal NH. Access to Boston, Ocean, tons of forest at your doorstep, no state income tax, etc. May be worth a look. DC area is probably out of the question - cost of living has become absurd. Other than that I think you'd have to look further south like maybe the Carolinas. Charlotte may be a bit too cookie cutter for you though. Atlanta burbs might fit the bill but you are a good 3 hrs from the sea. I'd say FL due to COL, but much of it is probably too cookie cutter and transient for you...
We were thinking maybe Tampa, though not sure how we would enjoy living in FL with summer all year round. At least in Phx, we get the cooler months as our winter.

I don't think we could live north of Virginia. I am willing to take some colder winters and an occasional snow storm, but not feet of snow. I am so accustomed wearing flip flops all year round here.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:44 AM

87 posts, read 249,411 times
I hear ya! After the past few winters the prospect of all year round flip flops gets more and more attractive. FL may be worth a look then, but I'd limit the search to the central part of the state. Miami area is warm all year round.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:46 AM

Northern FL does get the occasional cold snap in winter...

Old 06-17-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I hear ya! After the past few winters the prospect of all year round flip flops gets more and more attractive. FL may be worth a look then, but I'd limit the search to the central part of the state. Miami area is warm all year round.
Yes, it really is amazing being able to not worry about the snow. Honestly, as I researching what we want..Cali seems to fit our needs but NOT our budget.

I'm thinking we will have to take a good two week long road trip down the eastern seaboard to check things out.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:59 AM

I've been down that same road, beachbum. I lived in LA after I graduated college, and I still find myself daydreaming about moving out there again. Then I start crunching numbers and remember how many major issues the place has, and I snap out of it real quick. IMO, our most beautiful state...

Good idea. Try and check out Charleston and or savannah if time allows - two very cool places.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I've been down that same road, beachbum. I lived in LA after I graduated college, and I still find myself daydreaming about moving out there again. Then I start crunching numbers and remember how many major issues the place has, and I snap out of it real quick. IMO, our most beautiful state...

Good idea. Try and check out Charleston and or savannah if time allows - two very cool places.

Good luck!
Thank you! We were looking into the Wilmington NC area as well.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:14 AM

That may work. A few hours to Charlotte, but an easy drive or an easier flight.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:19 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Delaware?

Old 06-17-2015, 10:40 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Delaware?
Yep, they should move to Dover....they are within an hour of 3 major cities and the ocean is veeerrrryyy close. The weather of course would be similar to NJ but it should be alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.