U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:39 PM

628 posts, read 758,244 times

Advertisements

Madison, WI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 12:01 AM

613 posts, read 977,664 times
Possibly Minneapolis?

Old 06-19-2015, 12:44 AM

6,553 posts, read 13,752,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Asheville is >400k population, Chattanooga >500k and Charleston >700k. If these are too small then I'm thinking you'll want metros at 1 million or more.

I don't know much about the biking side but Richmond and Louisville seem like they might fit. Gainesville, FL has a similar vibe but it's smaller than all the above. Jacksonville, FL is not great for bikers but there's definitely a fervent community and if you don't need to commute by bike it can be ok. Also I wouldn't classify the weather as moderate...it's definitely on the hot and humid side.

Portland obviously is a good choice but too pricey.
I agree with Louisville. It is becoming a great biking city with many clubs and now many bike lanes on almost every inner city street, and many suburban streets now. The bike trails in the city parks are amazing.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:08 AM

274 posts, read 287,399 times
Boise fits most of the qualifications. The North End district is liberal and professional, however the rest of the state (except for a few areas such Blaine and Latah counties) is deep red.

It's also a major biking city. City proper is 200k.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:43 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,716,353 times
I didn't really find Portland bike friendly. There are lanes, but not a lot of trails or grade separation and the traffic makes it very dangerous along the major thoroughfares, especially for commuting.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:18 PM

34 posts, read 32,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
Boise fits most of the qualifications. The North End district is liberal and professional, however the rest of the state (except for a few areas such Blaine and Latah counties) is deep red.

It's also a major biking city. City proper is 200k.
I'm happy someone else mentioned it. Boise was my first thought when reading the thread title

Old 06-21-2015, 02:58 PM
chh

418 posts, read 495,352 times
Surprised nobody said Grand Rapids yet, it fits all the qualifications. The whole area around downtown and north of Wealthy ave. is very liberal, lots of young professionals, though the suburbs are some of the most conservative areas in the state.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:11 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,935 times
Louisville, Kentucky and Richmond Virginia were the first places that came to mind when I read this post. Though, both are larger than 200K. It might be a little expensive, but Santa Rosa, California would also be a good fit.

If the OP doesn't like the cold, s/he is not going to like Grand Rapids. Plus, even the Grand Rapids metro is pushing a million people.

I think the OP should compromise on size. Most young professional prefer large cities; that's where the jobs are. I know the OP will be working remotely, but most of his/her peers are do not have that option.

If the OP is dead-set on living someplace small, s/he should consider a city of the fringe of a major metro area. Someplace like Frederick, Maryland or New Castle County, Delaware could work.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:52 PM

3,959 posts, read 3,489,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Louisville, Kentucky and Richmond Virginia were the first places that came to mind when I read this post. Though, both are larger than 200K. It might be a little expensive, but Santa Rosa, California would also be a good fit.

If the OP doesn't like the cold, s/he is not going to like Grand Rapids. Plus, even the Grand Rapids metro is pushing a million people.

I think the OP should compromise on size. Most young professional prefer large cities; that's where the jobs are. I know the OP will be working remotely, but most of his/her peers are do not have that option.

If the OP is dead-set on living someplace small, s/he should consider a city of the fringe of a major metro area. Someplace like Frederick, Maryland or New Castle County, Delaware could work.
Technically it's over a million, but it's unique in that it's divided over 3 urban areas that are closely connected. The immediate Grand Rapids urban area is just over 600k. Because of the way it's spread out it doesn't feel as big as the other metros in that 1mill-1.3 range. Even then it fits the OPs description, all except for the colder winters which probably rules it out.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:22 AM

920 posts, read 649,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Oxnard/Ventura, CA. But the trees are often palm trees!
The OP calls himself/herself a professional (which means he's salaried LOL) yet he couldn't afford a home in Ventura/Oxnard. No way
Or probably anywhere in California for that matter

Unless of course, this cracker jack wants to live in a Mobile Home, the Ghetto or a home most of us would deem inhabitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or