U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 02:15 PM

506 posts, read 338,790 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating from college next year with a B.S. in Social Science and Community Development, so I'm starting to look towards the future of where I'd want to move. The city I live in currently is great, just a little small for my taste.

I'm very interested in pursuing a career in urban planning/community development, I've even gone as far to solicit the local metro planning organization for hands-on "internship" experience. (I'm not sure how other states work, but in Oregon, particular large and medium sized cities have a 'metro planning organization' to help project future growth and what types of projects should be focused on to support that growth).

I'm aware how competitive of a field it is, that's why I'm taking any necessary steps now to help myself out in the future. I browse the job boards for various states on the American Planners Association website, and I've been surprised at the openings available for entry level work, so it makes me that much more anxious to graduate.

My main question is, as far as you're aware, what are the best cities for someone looking to get their foot in the door with planning that are fairly large cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 06:19 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,154,995 times
Every urbanized area with at least 50,000 people is required by federal law to have a metropolitan planning organization (mpo). How large or small the MPO is and how it's administered varies state-to-state, region-to-region.

There are lots of potential career paths for a person with a planning degree. Be aware that for most full-time MPO positions, a lot of DOT positions, economic development, etc., even at "entry level," you'll be competing against candidates with masters degrees and internship or prior work experience. Employers are being quite selective because there are lots of candidates.

APA, USAJOBS, and AAMPO are good places to look for public sector jobs. Also look into private sector consulting or local governments. You may start out with a GIS jockey job or something but it could be a good foot-in. Your school should have a counselor for planning students who has connections with firms and agencies in your state and hopefully we'll beyond. If you've got a good paper, go to conferences or association meetingd (again, your school should have connections to recommend), shake hands with people, and hand out your card with a QR code link to your CV and writing sample(s). There is an urban planning forum and a work/employment forum here on city-data. You might get more help there.

TL/DR: There are planning jobs all over the country, but also lots of competition. Find resources, make connections, and use them to help you find a job.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:46 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
You might do some data analysis with the fastest growing cities with populations under 500K for example and via reasoning of location and politics (progressive, or not) make up a list of obvious options that will be looking for people like yourself as the city/area evolves. Where I reside in Central Florida for example would be a poor choice in my opinion given the lack of progressive leadership in terms of forward thinking planning and a weak approach in terms of collaborative metro area planning as well.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:18 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,492,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might do some data analysis with the fastest growing cities with populations under 500K for example and via reasoning of location and politics (progressive, or not) make up a list of obvious options that will be looking for people like yourself as the city/area evolves. Where I reside in Central Florida for example would be a poor choice in my opinion given the lack of progressive leadership in terms of forward thinking planning and a weak approach in terms of collaborative metro area planning as well.
I'd look at places like Grand Rapids Michigan. It's public/private partnerships, deep pocketed philanthropy, and multiple award winning economic development organizations, have done wonders transforming it from a little known manufacturing center, into a rapidly emerging knowledge based, biosciences and STEM center. It's population growth and changing demographics are a testament to that.

I know there are other cities like this too, can anyone help name them?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:04 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'd look at places like Grand Rapids Michigan. It's public/private partnerships, deep pocketed philanthropy, and multiple award winning economic development organizations, have done wonders transforming it from a little known manufacturing center, into a rapidly emerging knowledge based, biosciences and STEM center. It's population growth and changing demographics are a testament to that.

I know there are other cities like this too, can anyone help name them?
Indianapolis perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or