U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 12:07 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm not seeing this obsession from Canadians over America. if its such a common occurrence it should be easy to put forth examples of this phenomenon. just to give us some idea of what you are on about.
Various places around the internet.

Example -

New tourism ad makes U.S. look like Canada - World - CBC News

also all you have to do is look around on YouTube and Facebook comment sections, and on this thread to see many examples... and as fusion says yes these people are a minority and all.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:09 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree and what one has to take into account is that online forums attract a certain niche group that likes to discuss a wide range of international topics. I talk about the U.S in these forums but as a world traveller, I also talk about many many other nations. I would say, particularly in my 30's I've become a whole lot more curious about peoples, cultures and nations the world over.. I have no particular obsession with the U.S other than I like the country and on many many visits I find the people very friendly and accommodating and its a beautiful country - particularly the U.S Southwest imo... I'm not sure what is wrong with that.. I certainly find most Americans in real life nicer than some on these forums who talk down to Canadians or say we are unhealthily obsessed with the U.S.. Truth is - in day to day life the topic of the U.S doesn't really come up much in Canada. Like most people, we are busy with the day to day, family, work, friends and rarely do we talk about the U.S other than an occasional trip to Vegas or Florida or a noteworthy news event like Gay marriage in the U.S..

This may be boring and burst a lot of individuals obsession bubble but its a true story..

One thing I will say is that Canadian media is certainly more 'focused' on U.S issues than U.S media is on Canadian issues but i'd say focused is a better word than obsessed. Otherwise, Canada as a people obsessed with the U.S - its a rather tired notion that can only be dispelled by some in here if they actually travel to Canada and get to understand the country and its people better. Otherwise they are getting their information from rather limited online sources where many many trolls lurk.
You are right, that probably is a better way to put it.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:53 AM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Various places around the internet.

Example -

New tourism ad makes U.S. look like Canada - World - CBC News

also all you have to do is look around on YouTube and Facebook comment sections, and on this thread to see many examples... and as fusion says yes these people are a minority and all.
You go right ahead and scour YouTube and Facebook comment sections for data portraying Canada as being constantly obsessed with the USA who knows you might discover that elusive video of a Canadian saying oot and aboot,Excuse me if this Canadian has no interest in this baseless allegation as to Canadas obcession with the USA,
Also is that link the best you can do to portray the point?As it seems to me its an American tourist ad directed at many countries implying America isnt such a violent place so come and visit and you probably wont get shot, at best it addresses Canadas wish for more American tourist dollars..
Looking through many threads/topics on CD its apparent IMO that its Americans obsessed with Canada and not Canadians being obsessed with America.
Would wishing you a happy 4th of July be considered obsessive Canadian behavior toward the USA?

Old 07-04-2015, 09:44 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,141,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I'd say Canadians like the USA more then they like Canada. Just look at all the Canadian license plates at Costco in Bellingham, Washington. They got lots of Costco's in BC but still the Canadians flock across the border in the USA. If they liked Canada all that much it seems like they'd like to keep their consumer dollars their and support their own country.

Every Canadian I've spoken to in northern BC and the Yukon say they wish Canadian gun laws were more like the US. And they complain about Canadian taxes and the health care system.
Not everyone at your Costco in Bellingham represents all Canadians - just like someone in Wyoming wouldn't represent the values of someone from San Francisco lol. The most populous part of Canada is in Central Canada - the Windsor to Quebec city corridor which includes the cities of Toronto and Montreal. Besides, i'm not sure a bunch of Canadians border shopping means they 'like' the U.S more than Canada I just think they are trying to save a few bucks in gas and some goods that are cheaper south of the border. Doesn't mean they never shop in Canada.

As for Canadians in northern BC and the Yukon wanting different gun laws and complaining about healthcare in Canada - well again these people live in rural areas of the country and are simply not representative of most Canadians. Its harder to provide great H.C services in sparsely populated areas vs larger cities due to economics. I'm fine with H.C in Canada but I live in its most populated city so my feelings about it in a metro with almost 7 million people will be different than someone in the Yukon which biggest city has 30K people.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 AM

797 posts, read 467,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
Surprisingly we have little in Common with those in Michigan or NY here in Ontario. The cultural spillover is basically zero. We consume American media but it's more "hollywood". I actually had no idea there was a state called Michigan near me for example until my early 20's. We have more culturally in common with California in all honesty.
Yes, I'm sure that's it...you're all a bunch of misplaced Californians. If you are truly interested in learning, do some research. http://news.ubc.ca/2011/07/07/canadians-and-americans-are-more-similar-than-assumed/.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake88 View Post
If our healthcare is so good, why are so many of us leaving to to get procedures done in American hospitals?

You never trust a socialized system. It plays havoc with your life.
Iuh
Do you have stats to support your premise that 'so many' are leaving to get procedure done. If so do share! Reputable sources please!

Old 07-04-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
51,000 Canadians left Canada for healthcare in the states in 2014.
51K people out of 36 million people... Figure out that percentage and put that into perspective.. What type of procedures were they getting - maybe some plastic surgery and minor electives thrown into the bunch.. 51K people is a drop in the bucket and isn't even worth quoting unless Canada had a population of 250K people.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:44 PM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Quote:
If our healthcare is so good, why are so many of us leaving to to get procedures done in American hospitals?

You never trust a socialized system. It plays havoc with your life.
Iuh
Many Canadians arent leaving Canada for the USA to get medical attention particularly when the US system isnt as reliable as you might think=
Hospital Errors are the Third Leading Cause of Death in U.S., and New Hospital Safety Scores Show Improvements Are Too Slow

Some reading on that exodus of Canadians flocking to the US for healthcare=
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/myt...ked-2012-08-09

Old 07-04-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence. Danny Williams, Jannis Ollson and Shona Homes weren't too "thrilled" with the Canadian system.
oooh 3 people yippie... Have you even used the Canadian H.C system? I have and so has my family and overall we've had good experiences with it. My father has been in remission from an aggressive form of cancer for over 7 years after having his bladder, prostate and surrounding lymph nodes removed and several sessions of oncological treatment. A big part of that was quick action and treatment after diagnosis.

Every nation is going to have their pro's and con's with something as complex as H.C and no there is no one glove fits all approach. For most Canadians the H.C system is fine. Does it fail some - YES.. For most Americans their H.C system is fine but does it fail some - YES..

Its sad that this thread has descended into a discussion about H.C when its not a parallel comparison - different countries, different population and different historical values associated with H.C.. One isn't 'better' than the other as both have their pro's and con's.

For those that have to do a comparison well as I said, there is plenty of 'evidence' both sides could use against the other and in the end it accomplishes nothing.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Why aren't Americans and people from other countries coming to Canada for procedures? Just answer me that. Canada has no healthcare tourism to speak of as far as I know.

I am critical of the Canadian healthcare for these reasons:

- lack of medical innovation
- long wait times
- certain procedures such as transplants can't be done in Canada
- it takes up to two years to see a family doctor
- canadians still go to that states for care
- Family Doctors are scarce
- poor quality
- many horror stories
- rationed care
- the government tells you which hospitals to go to, what procedures you can and CAN'T get and you can not choose to pick your family doctor
- extreme high taxes to pay for the health system.
Sounds like a bunch of generalized and sensational talking points that have little bearing on the experiences most Canadians have. Government telling Canadians which hospitals to go to? Huh I chose my family Doctor at St Mike's of my own accord and anytime I see a network of health professionals at that facility I wait no more than an hour. Even referrals happen quickly. I got an ultrasound done on my abdomen 3 days after family doctor referral. Last week I wasn't feeling well and went to a walk in clinic - no appointment required - saw a Doctor in less than one hour and got a prescription for Azithromycin for a sinus infection which I filled right away and started taking less than a 1/2 hour after seeing the Dr..

Don't worry too much there cupcake - Canadians still enjoy one of the highest life expectancy rates in the world even with your tired old talking points in place. Like most Canadians - you can expect to live until you're 82 ranking Canada tied for 8th out of 194 countries reported.... Now Cupcake - stress and worrying about things you shouldn't be worried about - that may actually cut life expectancy!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ife_expectancy

Last edited by fusion2; 07-04-2015 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.