U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:02 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,121,223 times

Advertisements

American = loud, confrontational, often mean spirited

Canadian = reserved, you have your space I have mine, open to friendships

So how are they similar.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:07 AM

696 posts, read 881,593 times
No American's and Canadians are not similar, Canadians only think they are like America because they are attached to the United States and have the protection of the United States just in case things get real. I don't believe Canada could stand on it's own two alone, it needs a "man" for protection.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:08 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,271,388 times
Anti-Americanism must be rampant in Canada because they're afraid to admit Canada and the US are very similar. One big difference, they didn't rebel against the British like we did.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:09 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,399,877 times
As someone from a northern state who's crossed the border innumerable times over the decades - Ontario reminds me more of home than anywhere else in the United States outside the Upper Midwest. Differences are barely discernable on a practical level. So yes, I would say near border areas at least (and throwing much of Quebec out the window), Canada and the United States are very similar.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,271,388 times
Canadians cling onto their British heritage like an ex who never got over a breakup. I LOL every time I see the Queen on their money. It's funny when they pull the "We burned down your white house, when we were British" as an insult. What, y'all didn't have the guts to rebel against the British empire like we did? Okay.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:15 AM

32 posts, read 23,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
So despite 61% of Canadians living less than 100 miles from the US border means there's no cultural spillovers, on either side, whatsoever?

Aaaaaaand there's the point of this entire thread. Just projecting your feelings upon the entire population of Canada to justify them, huh?

I had a coworker I worked with this past year that moved down here from Edmonton, and save some differences in religious views and language vernacular, there wasn't much difference between us.

Not really sure why some are so persistant in proving a point that Canadians (or other countries, in general) don't like the United States. I'm not a flag-waving patriot, but damn, our political leaders that make decisions don't represent the way all 300 million of us live, think, or act.
Surprisingly we have little in Common with those in Michigan or NY here in Ontario. The cultural spillover is basically zero. We consume American media but it's more "hollywood". I actually had no idea there was a state called Michigan near me for example until my early 20's. We have more culturally in common with California in all honesty.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
No American's and Canadians are not similar, Canadians only think they are like America because they are attached to the United States and have the protection of the United States just in case things get real. I don't believe Canada could stand on it's own two alone, it needs a "man" for protection.
I agree with you. We aren't similar to them at all. We only like their "hollywood media" but everything else on that country beyond California, New York city and maybe florida is irrelevant to us. We are for the most part nothing like them. We do need their protection and economic support though.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:19 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,399,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
What? minnesota doesn't sound Canadian at all. Not even in the slightest, least bit. minnesotans like I said sound like Great Lakes Americans with a bit of swede thrown in.
1. Talk to someone who grew up in MN, WI or the UP, outside the Milwaukee corridor.

2. Ask them if anyone ever asked if they were from Canada on a phone call with a non-Midwesterner or while visiting other areas of the country.

3. Listen carefully as they discuss the fact that this has happened quite often over their lifetime.

4. Give in to the fact that a Canadian and Minnesotan accent are close enough that people from outside the region very commonly mistake one for the other, so they must be close enough to create this confusion.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
1. Talk to someone who grew up in MN, WI or the UP, outside the Milwaukee corridor.

2. Ask them if anyone ever asked if they were from Canada on a phone call with a non-Midwesterner or while visiting other areas of the country.

3. Listen carefully as they discuss the fact that this has happened quite often over their lifetime.

4. Give in to the fact that a Canadian and Minnesotan accent are close enough that people from outside the region very commonly mistake one for the other, so they must be close enough to create this confusion.
I have never hard a Canadian sound anything like a Minnesotan. That Americsn accent is very foreign sounding to me.

Please provide video proof that Canadians sound like Minnesotans via YouTube or something. You will find none

Old 06-18-2015, 10:28 AM

114 posts, read 81,037 times
This all sooooo interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.