U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:30 AM

506 posts, read 338,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
American = loud, confrontational, often mean spirited

Canadian = reserved, you have your space I have mine, open to friendships

So how are they similar.
Must be a fan of gross generalizations, eh?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:57 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,539,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
A Michigan accent and an Ontario accent is night and day. You have the "oots and aboots" on one side of the river and the "battle of pap" (bottle of pop) on the other. That may seem trivial but it shows a disconnect in cultures and social interaction.
As an American, when I hear people from the UK, Ireland, Australia, South Africa or other major English-speaking countries talk, I can tell immediately that they are not American. When I hear people from Canada talk, I very often can't tell they're Canadian. This happened to me earlier today. I was on a conference call with a company that has offices around the world. It wasn't until 20 minutes into the call that the person on the line said something that sounded a little funny to me, and then I remembered I'd heard yesterday, when we set up the call, that she was in Canada.

That's just me, but I'd be shocked if most Americans didn't have similar experiences -- and many Canadians probably feel the same way in reverse.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
As an American, when I hear people from the UK, Ireland, Australia, South Africa or other major English-speaking countries talk, I can tell immediately that they are not American. When I hear people from Canada talk, I very often can't tell they're Canadian. This happened to me earlier today. I was on a conference call with a company that has offices around the world. It wasn't until 20 minutes into the call that the person on the line said something that sounded a little funny to me, and then I remembered I'd heard yesterday, when we set up the call, that she was in Canada.

That's just me, but I'd be shocked if most Americans didn't have similar experiences -- and many Canadians probably feel the same way in reverse.
I said earlier I had a coworker that moved down to Oregon from Edmonton, and I honestly didn't know she was Canadian until she told me -- two months into working with her.

It's not that I was ignorant and didn't know she was from Canada, I just didn't realize it until she said certain words that had a Canadian twang to it (sorry, about, etc).

Old 06-18-2015, 01:16 PM

696 posts, read 880,635 times
Canadians don't have balls they all big wussies.

Last edited by cityKing; 06-18-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 06:01 PM

32 posts, read 23,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
At least we're not shooting up churches.

There are social ills in the USA that do NOT exist at all in Canada. No offence. But this is enough..
America wake up! You can be a better country. You just need to change.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 PM

Can you just admit you started this thread in order to feel superior over Americans? Like really. That's the only reason someone would start a thread like this. I've barely seen any hate towards Canadians in any thread, so why start a conversation encouraging it from either side? It'd be different if you were offering constructive reasons as to cultural differences or political differences that make Americans and Canadians different, but it was all surface-level, superficial garbage.

Also, it's really insensitive and tasteless to just say that in such an impasse manner. Most Americans are aware of the gun control issue, but like many social issues, there isn't a black and white answer to the problem.

Speaking of which, Canada isn't problem-free. I've heard numerous stories on NPR of Canada's glaring discrimination issue towards its indigenous populations. No country is perfect, so highlighting America's dysfunctions doesn't erase the social ills that exist in your country.

Yeah, America has its issues stemming from centuries built on racial inequality and discrimination. Will you sleep better at night, now?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:37 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I was just going to state, despite all the similarities, Canada doesn't have that chest-thumping machismo culture we have in the states, and here CityKing comes along to perfectly illustrate that point.
Canadians also have a reputation for being very reserved, while Americans are more assertive (not to be confused with being violent or aggressive).

Old 06-18-2015, 07:13 PM

5,951 posts, read 7,319,432 times
Besides Quebec, I can't say I have ever felt out of place or like I was in a foreign land with different people while in Canada. It's so funny how some Canadians think they're so different than the country they share a border and a common North American culture with. I feel like PA has more in common with Canada than states like Florida or Arizona.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:47 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,294,870 times
Considering my forays into Canada and Mexico, I would have to say that the differences mentioned are minor. That is not taking into consideration cultures even more different.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:53 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Quote:
I agree with you. We aren't similar to them at all. We only like their "hollywood media" but everything else on that country beyond California, New York city and maybe florida is irrelevant to us. We are for the most part nothing like them. We do need their protection and economic support though.
I find it baffling that you think you speak for all Canadians. Are you from Toronto?

Quote:
". I actually had no idea there was a state called Michigan near me for example until my early 20's. .
Wow, I question the integrity of your education if you were that oblivious to a neighboring US state bordering Ontario all the way into your early 20's. I'm pretty sure I understood the difference between Quebec and British Columbia by the time I was in 7th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.