U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 06:25 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
To be honest as a Canadian I don't think we are. With the exception of a few Pacific and North east states the U.S is mostly a conservative country, where Canada is not. We have different cultures - of course we share a generic North American culture in someways but there are many differences. There really isn't a gun culture in Canada like the states and the gangster element just isn't here either apart from a few teeny tiny pockets in Montreal and maybe Toronto.. We're mostly gang free and for the most part low crime

Another thing is healthcare, Canadians support government and tax funded healthcare where as Americans are 100% opposed to "socialized medicine" and prefer private care through an employer.

Accent is another thing.. It is said that Canadian and American English is close to 99% similar but to me there are jarring differences. Most Americans I notice speak with a drawl or a bit of a twang (Great Lakes area) and even the west and pacific states still have a little "twang" going on where Canadian speech for the part is clipped, with raised vowels and extended monopthongs. When you think about it, there is nowhere in the US where they sound Canadian even the neighbouring great lakes areas sound entirely different with a night and day contrast. And to me as a Canadian "Minnesotans" and "uppers" sound absolutely nothing like me - they just sound like they have a great lakes accent with maybe some Finnish? I have no clue why we're thought of as sounding similar. Again, nowhere in the U.S can you find truly Canadian speech patterns and nowhere in Canada will you find anyone speaking American English with flat twangy vowels ("sarry" "owwt" ect)

In my opinion we really are not very similar at all.
Lol "gun culture" you foreigners are cute i swear... now sorry i have to leave, i think i hear some street gangs at my door!

Old 06-19-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You say this like that is normal in America.

Something tells me your views of Americans is different than Americans views of themselves. And your trying to dis associate with the US because of your negative views.

There 300,000,000 million Americans vs Canada 35 million. There are more liberal Americans then probably 3x the entire Canadian population.

There less than 500k gang members in the US, The US is 300 million people you brought up gang culture? Don't put Americans in a box like that.

Of Course the US and Canada are different but they have more cultural similarities than they do with any other countries in the world.
The media is amazing and powerful isn't it? look at how well they can skew peoples minds about certain places...

Old 06-19-2015, 09:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,267,707 times
Canada can go crawling back to Britain for all I care, it's cute when they look down on us.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:46 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,194,658 times
Quote:
You've never heard a Canadian accent have you? It doesn't sound like anything in the United States.
Yeah it does. All Canadians west of Lake Superior sound nearly indistinguishable from Californians, except your giveaway words like "sorry" and "pasta" and "experiment". That being said, I completely agree with you that the stereotypical Minnesotan accent sounds nothing even remotely similar to what you hear in Canada. When you hear "battle of pap" when I say "bottle of pop", I hear "bohtle of pohp" when you say it.

Quote:
We don't really have the fondest feelings about Americans either. Anti-Americanism is rampant.
Unfortunately and ironically, a lot of Canadians are equally as uninformed as some of them claim Americans are. It seems you're...proud of that? Well, congratulations, or something?

Old 06-20-2015, 01:31 AM

34 posts, read 35,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Yeah it does. All Canadians west of Lake Superior sound nearly indistinguishable from Californians, except your giveaway words like "sorry" and "pasta" and "experiment".
Except Californians use a TON of slang, and that clearly distinguishes them from Canadians. Also they use different intonations and pace when they talk. Even excludibg the obvious giveaway words, Californians sound very distinct and different from Canadians.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:58 AM

103 posts, read 119,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
And what you had to say about them, really aren't all that compelling. It's not what you said, but rather how you said it. No meat, bones, or any good substance. Just a trivial post, with a dash of chip on shoulder.
When America is brought up or debates between Canada vs. America, I notice a lot of times Canadians have that chip on their shoulders...

Oh and.....

Old 06-20-2015, 06:31 AM

32 posts, read 23,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guanchez View Post
Except Californians use a TON of slang, and that clearly distinguishes them from Canadians. Also they use different intonations and pace when they talk. Even excludibg the obvious giveaway words, Californians sound very distinct and different from Canadians.
Right. The only Canadians who sound "Californian" are the ones that moved their and trained them self to speak with the accent.

Canadian IS a distinct dialect. As Irish is to British English.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:18 AM

378 posts, read 355,013 times
Quote:
A Michigan accent and an Ontario accent is night and day. You have the "oots and aboots" on one side of the river and the "battle of pap" (bottle of pop) on the other. That may seem trivial but it shows a disconnect in cultures and social interaction.

Politics in Canada and the U.S. are drastically different. You have to understand religion and political views are rarely if ever expressed here whereas the US they're apart of life.
I live in Michigan and I have never heard any pronounce bottle of pop like "battle of pap". For that matter, I have never heard "oots of aboots" from any Canadians outside of actors on TV.

Where are you from in Canada? It sounds like your experience with the US is from Minnesota and North Dakota.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
A Michigan accent and an Ontario accent is night and day. You have the "oots and aboots" on one side of the river and the "battle of pap" (bottle of pop) on the other. That may seem trivial but it shows a disconnect in cultures and social interaction.

Politics in Canada and the U.S. are drastically different. You have to understand religion and political views are rarely if ever expressed here whereas the US they're apart of life.
No they aren't, sorry but you don't really know what you are talking about.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:34 AM

37,987 posts, read 55,740,290 times
Please post your "accent" remarks on Accent forum. And ONLY there.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.