U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 05:02 AM

4,101 posts, read 4,739,224 times

Advertisements

Canada and the United States are quite similar; many of the differences come from population and geographical position. You'll find that many northern US states share much of Canada's political views; and sometimes even speech habits.

However, they are still different countries with different histories and therefor they do have many stark differences as well. But if one were to compare the US and Canada, then compare the US and, say, Iraq, Canada starts to look a lot like the USA.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:51 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times
They are less similar than Americans would think and more similar than Canadians want to believe.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:18 PM

7,247 posts, read 6,588,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post

I live in Michigan and I have never heard any pronounce bottle of pop like "battle of pap". For that matter, I have never heard "oots of aboots" from any Canadians outside of actors on TV.

Where are you from in Canada? It sounds like your experience with the US is from Minnesota and North Dakota.
He's not. The OP (who's now been banned again) isn't Canadian, doesn't live in Canada and doesn't know much about Canada or America.

He's a troll who's been getting banned and then re-registering with multiple user names and then getting banned again every week to 10 days and it's been ongoing for nearly 2 years. He has only one goal and that's to try to stir up trouble between Canadians and Americans on numerous forums online, not only here on City-Data. He has a lot of 'tells' that always give him away and he usually haunts the Canada forum the most so the Canadians there have gotten accustomed to recognizing his 'tells'. Every now and then he gets brave and ventures over here to the General USA forum or the World forum to stir the pot.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:04 PM

1,068 posts, read 736,951 times
America has more balls

Old 06-26-2015, 05:14 PM

12,597 posts, read 15,066,993 times
Similar in some ways and not in others. I spend time in Montreal for work and there are definitely differences. Canadians are usually more formal and I find Canadians generally to be quite socially tolerant, compared to some Americans.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:22 PM

5,953 posts, read 7,325,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Similar in some ways and not in others. I spend time in Montreal for work and there are definitely differences. Canadians are usually more formal and I find Canadians generally to be quite socially tolerant, compared to some Americans.
Not only is Quebec different from the US, it is rather different from the rest of Canada too in reality.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 06-26-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-26-2015, 07:10 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,207,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
American = loud, confrontational, often mean spirited

Canadian = reserved, you have your space I have mine, open to friendships

So how are they similar.
Yeah, and Europeans are all ethnocentric, unfriendly, dour, ambitionless parasites who expect the government to take care of them.

See? Anyone can do the stereotyping thing (even though they sound totally ignorant). Oh, and btw, I'm Canadian.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:17 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,207,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
Most Southern Ontarions are not familiar with Michigan except for the ones in the south west region. I'm from Toronto and I don't care or know about other US states and cities beyond the important ones like New York City and L.A. Everything else..!doesn't matter lol.
Yup. And that's why you started this thread, right? Because you don't care? Nice try, dude.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:27 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,271,388 times
You can draw some similarities between Quebec, New England (particularly Maine), and Upstate New York. Montreal feels more like America, it reminded me of DC and certain areas of Boston and Philly. Quebec City felt a little more foreign, almost the closest city to Europe in North America. Quebec City still reminded me of Boston and even Charleston, though.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:24 AM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,522,608 times
School systems are K-12, they drive on the right side, they have area codes, there's Canadian professional teams in the NBA, MLB, NHL, and MLS. etc. etc. In other words the US and Canada has more similarities than a country in Europe, Asia, Australia or Africa. But at the same time there's still some differences between the two countries itself. But then again there's also differences within the US, differences within regions, differences within states. It all depends...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.