U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:39 PM

32 posts, read 23,418 times

Advertisements

To be honest as a Canadian I don't think we are. With the exception of a few Pacific and North east states the U.S is mostly a conservative country, where Canada is not. We have different cultures - of course we share a generic North American culture in someways but there are many differences. There really isn't a gun culture in Canada like the states and the gangster element just isn't here either apart from a few teeny tiny pockets in Montreal and maybe Toronto.. We're mostly gang free and for the most part low crime

Another thing is healthcare, Canadians support government and tax funded healthcare where as Americans are 100% opposed to "socialized medicine" and prefer private care through an employer.

Accent is another thing.. It is said that Canadian and American English is close to 99% similar but to me there are jarring differences. Most Americans I notice speak with a drawl or a bit of a twang (Great Lakes area) and even the west and pacific states still have a little "twang" going on where Canadian speech for the part is clipped, with raised vowels and extended monopthongs. When you think about it, there is nowhere in the US where they sound Canadian even the neighbouring great lakes areas sound entirely different with a night and day contrast. And to me as a Canadian "Minnesotans" and "uppers" sound absolutely nothing like me - they just sound like they have a great lakes accent with maybe some Finnish? I have no clue why we're thought of as sounding similar. Again, nowhere in the U.S can you find truly Canadian speech patterns and nowhere in Canada will you find anyone speaking American English with flat twangy vowels ("sarry" "owwt" ect)

In my opinion we really are not very similar at all.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:55 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,076 times
Riveting.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Riveting.
Sarcasm?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:31 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
Sarcasm?
Despite a lot of indifference many Americans feel towards Canada, a country that I happen to be very fond of, let me just say we are still quite aware of the differences you have stated. And what you had to say about them, really aren't all that compelling. It's not what you said, but rather how you said it. No meat, bones, or any good substance. Just a trivial post, with a dash of chip on shoulder.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 06-17-2015 at 08:44 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Despite a lot of indifference many Americans feel towards Canada, a country I happen to be very fond of, let me just say we are still pretty aware of the differences you state. And what you had to say about them, really aren't all that compelling. It's not what you said, but rather how you said it. No meat, bones, or any good substance. Just a trivial post, with a dash of chip on shoulder.
I know. But you agree we're really nothing alike? Right?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:45 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,912,763 times
Canada is like the USA imo, I relate really well to most people from Canada, we have our differences but we are more similar to Canada than any other country. I love Canada.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Quote:
Ummm...., well first, don't put words in my mouth. Second, when I think about places like Indonesia, Nigeria, Peru, Cambodia, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Portugal, Cuba, hell even Mexico, then its easy for me to conjure up thoughts of Canada and the US having a tremendous amount of things in common.

The biggest distinction I think most of us see on this side of the border is in just one province, Quebec. It's my favorite province. And even there we still have a lot in common. More so than with any other country abroad or south of our border, that's for sure.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 06-17-2015 at 08:46 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are trying to prove something.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:08 PM

506 posts, read 338,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sounds like you are trying to prove something.
That's what I was thinking...

Old 06-17-2015, 11:22 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,142,366 times
Canada and the US ate nothing alike! You say tomato and we say tahmahto. So besides the US, what country do you think is most like the Canada, OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.